Sign in with
Your question

Bsod and video drivers not responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2011 2:37:31 PM

I just upgraded my computer a couple days ago and now I'm getting crashes. I lose video signal and crash or sometimes it will says display drivers have stopped responding and recovered.

specs:

PNY Geforce 550 GTX TI
Intel i5-2400
MSI P67A-C43 (B3)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

here is the WhoCrashed report:

On Mon 7/17/2011 4:11:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071811-8346-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x801F10)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008906010, 0xFFFFF8800F871F10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Mon 7/17/2011 4:11:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008906010, 0xFFFFF8800F871F10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 7/17/2011 4:07:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071811-17004-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x801F10)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D5D94E0, 0xFFFFF8800F86FF10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Is it a defective video card or a software issue? I reinstalled the video drivers and it didn't seem to fix it.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 3:04:28 PM

it kinda sounds like you didnt remove the old drivers and just popped it the cd that came with the card

if this is so,,,,, remove your current driver by going under remove programs in the control panal......follow the (un)installers instruction and restart after.......once restarted go to nvidia's website and download the latest driver avialable....run the setup .....restart again and all should be well

good luck
m
l
July 18, 2011 3:06:57 PM

No I used the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2011 3:27:33 PM

1. Yes
2. No I never use the disk that came with the card.

I'm going to run 3D mark 11 and see what happens.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 18, 2011 3:34:57 PM

@ OP, when was the last time you updated W7 and did you force the update or is it set to auto update?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 3:36:37 PM

so its not the install but you still have yet to say if you UNINSTALLED your old driver in the first place???

just repeat the whole process
m
l
July 18, 2011 3:59:12 PM

Quote:

so its not the install but you still have yet to say if you UNINSTALLED your old driver in the first place???

just repeat the whole process

Yeah I uninstalled the old driver. I did a fresh reinstall of windows when I built my computer and did all my driver installs and windows updates. I got the first video driver from nvidia then when I went to reinstall the driver I removed it then installed it again(and the second install was the video driver from nvidia also). Just to be clear on what I exactly did. It didn't crash on the 3D mark 11 but CPUID hw monitor says my north bridge reached 127 C, which seems way too hot. Its been saying 80 C when idling when the others have been idling on 43ish C. When I did research on that some people said it was using the wrong sensor that was very inaccurate. check the screen shot.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd405/shadyvillian/...
m
l
August 7, 2011 12:10:47 AM

I'm having the exact same issue. The only difference is that I'm running a relatively older mobo. It's a MSI P7N SLI Platinum board.My older card burnt out and was out of warranty and since this board has no onboard graphics I had to buy a new one. I don't get enough time to game anymore but since I use heavy Photoshopping a dedicated graphic card helps me a lot.

Could you guys be kind enough to let me know if there's any solution to this issue? I have tried the solutions provided on http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=... and have got no solutions till now.

Can't really work on a distorted 1024 x 768 display. Shadyvillan I'd be deeply thankful if you could tell me if you have found any solution. I pretty much am running the same setup as yours with Win 7 64 bit.

Regards & Thanks.
m
l
August 7, 2011 3:50:17 AM

I reinstalled the video drivers and it hasn't happened yet(knock on wood). It could of been a bad driver install. Also I gave my old video card to a friend and when he installed the new drivers it did the same thing to him(it had that card for 2 years with zero problems) which kinda makes it seems like that version of the nvidia drivers it buggy or something. If it still is happening with a new card have you tried a reinstall of windows? This problem seems to be video related but it could be anything. I also switched the 6 pin power connector to my video card. I'm not sure if this fixed it but I saw somewhere that fixed it for them so I thought it wouldn't hurt. Also I noticed it did it alot in IE 32 and 64 bit. It seemed like the window was a really low resolution and I try to avoid using altogether just because its IE :D  hope that helps somewhat.
m
l
August 7, 2011 9:44:32 AM

shadyvillian said:
I reinstalled the video drivers and it hasn't happened yet(knock on wood). It could of been a bad driver install. Also I gave my old video card to a friend and when he installed the new drivers it did the same thing to him(it had that card for 2 years with zero problems) which kinda makes it seems like that version of the nvidia drivers it buggy or something. If it still is happening with a new card have you tried a reinstall of windows? This problem seems to be video related but it could be anything. I also switched the 6 pin power connector to my video card. I'm not sure if this fixed it but I saw somewhere that fixed it for them so I thought it wouldn't hurt. Also I noticed it did it alot in IE 32 and 64 bit. It seemed like the window was a really low resolution and I try to avoid using altogether just because its IE :D  hope that helps somewhat.

Well when I first got the new card I had simply plonked it into the cabinet and updated the driver like always. It ran fine for the day and then I started to get those damn errors. I thought maybe Win 7 needed a fresh install so I reinstalled Win 7 fresh from the scratch, installed the latest motherboard drivers and then tried installing the 280. something driver which was the latest beta. (I had tried with the 273 whql version before the format. So thought it might be erroring) Anyway, I read somewhere that maybe the ram slots can be the culprit. Will be taking apart the entire system today and reassembling it again. Hope that helps :(  I really need the damn thing to work again. Working from a laptop sucks (Games are being missed dearly :p )

Will try your suggestion of changing the pins too. Lets hope it works. Thanks for the reply.

Regards & Thanks.
m
l
August 7, 2011 9:45:26 PM

Ok I tried what you had suggested. Took everything out of the cabinet except the motherboard and PSU. Plugged in the primary hard drive and the display card only. Voila! The display came up promptly. Ran for about 30 minutes or so without any issues. Took the latest drivers too and rebooted. Then I thought of putting back everything and then back to square one again! This time would plug in the drives one by one and see if there's a particular one which is creating all this mess. Would update soon.

Regards.
m
l
!