Sign in with
Your question

Startup Issue. Gives "bad or missing command" with repair cd

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2011 4:45:14 PM

Hello,

Having trouble getting my Hp Pavilion Elite E9220y Desktop to start.

History: Days before it crashed it started to bog down and then it restarted its self and would not load past blue Hp boot menu.

I thought I solved the problem since it acted like it was over heating at first, so I cleaned the Mother Board, Graphics Card, Fans, Ram Cards, and Processor and then It worked great until it ran as normal for about 20 hours and then started to bog again. This time though it would not start all the way back up.

I have a repair disc from Iolo Technologys (2008) version and when it boots it give me this error: "bad or missing command interpreter enter the full shell command line: command.com /P /E:256"

I have done my research and the majority of other peoples problems are with leaving the repair cds in after fixing them, but mine hasn't even repaired anything and I have my BIOS setup as default which I hope is set to cd because if not I can't get the boot BIOS setting screen because it wont react to anything but a cd in the drive.

Please help me. -Nick
December 19, 2011 8:59:04 PM

Update: No luck with windows vista orginal cd either.

Taking the repair cd out doesnt help when rebooting because it hasn't repaired anything yet.

-Nick
m
l
December 20, 2011 6:47:35 PM

I have now tried everything that I could find on similar problems to mine and I have had no luck I'm starting to think whatever happened may be caused by an earlier cooling issue, the cooling unit I have has almost no paste remaining and I am wondering were I could get some reasonably priced quality stuff to replace it.

Thanks -Nick
m
l
December 22, 2011 12:27:20 PM

Can anyone refer me to someone who might know the answer or maybe another site that deals with this kind of problem more often? Maybe I have this in the wrong section of the forum?
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 9:30:43 PM

Nac4788 said:
I have now tried everything that I could find on similar problems to mine and I have had no luck I'm starting to think whatever happened may be caused by an earlier cooling issue, the cooling unit I have has almost no paste remaining and I am wondering were I could get some reasonably priced quality stuff to replace it.

Thanks -Nick

You should clean the old heat paste with alcohol and use Artic Silver 5 or equivalent. Make sure that you apply a very thin layer; its purpose is to fill voids. Unfortunately that won't fix your issue.

Does it boot from the CD or DVD? Is teh issue only when booting from the hard disk?
m
l
December 23, 2011 12:52:27 PM

GhislainG said:
You should clean the old heat paste with alcohol and use Artic Silver 5 or equivalent. Make sure that you apply a very thin layer; its purpose is to fill voids. Unfortunately that won't fix your issue.

Does it boot from the CD or DVD? Is teh issue only when booting from the hard disk?

When I try rebooting from anything it now says "Select Correct boot drive and reboot or insert boot media then press a key" (that may not be word for word im at work drawing that from memory) and no matter what boot drive I select it always pops up that message even when I select DVD drive and insert repair cd and "press a key" it does nothing. If I start the comp with the disk in it it'll show the "bad or missing blah blah blah" message.

Yeah I'll replace the paste if we can come up with a solution to this problem not worth it other wise.

-Nick
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 1:15:44 PM

Check to make sure that all cables are fully inserted. If that doesn't help, reset the BIOS to its default settings (info available at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Suppor...). It also is possible that the motherboard is defective. Can you check the hard disk (don't boot from it) and the DVD drive in another system to make sure that they are working properly?
m
l
December 27, 2011 1:03:50 PM

GhislainG said:
Check to make sure that all cables are fully inserted. If that doesn't help, reset the BIOS to its default settings (info available at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Suppor...). It also is possible that the motherboard is defective. Can you check the hard disk (don't boot from it) and the DVD drive in another system to make sure that they are working properly?

Did the First thing twice just to be sure. Your link to the second didn't work but I think I found what you were suggesting and I have tried that as well with no luck :(  . As far as testing on another board I only have another laptop with no Desktop so I'm SOL for trial and error testing. I think it most likely at this point is going to be A: mother board has bad or melted connection somewhere that I can't see or B: Hard drive took a dump and thats why repair disk isn't helping.

I have replaced the mother boards small battery and I have Booted with out the HDD connected and it acts the same but if I disconnect anything else it has other issues, so I'm leaning twoards B which sucks cause I gots like 800 gigs worth the Info I'd like to have not lost...
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 1:31:07 PM

Can't you install the hard disk in an external enclosure? That would possibly allow you to determine if it still works and archive important files to another hard disk. Don't you backup important files on a regular basis to an external drive?
m
l
December 27, 2011 7:44:09 PM

GhislainG said:
Can't you install the hard disk in an external enclosure? That would possibly allow you to determine if it still works and archive important files to another hard disk. Don't you backup important files on a regular basis to an external drive?

I could try that I'll have to look and see what I'd need to do that. I only back up important files for work or my expences as far as games, cds, movies, videos I've made, music I wrote, etc. (Things I don't want to have to redo or take the time to install on a new hd) I haven't.

I am seriously thinking about updating my pc it was a nice package but in hind site its still slow to even its 2009 competition.

I could probably just reuse the 8gigs of ram hopefully the HDD but as far the mother board and processor the ones HP included suck, the graphics card will have to do for now trying to just get by.

Maybe its time to ask the sad question of whats the best Motherboard/processor I can get and be happy with the speed and performance and will fit the box I already got?
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 8:24:49 PM

You'd need a micro-ATX motherboard, but if the motherboard is/was good, your system could be upgraded to an AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe processor. Is the video card an ATI Radeon HD4350? Before you decide to get a new motherboard, what processor are you interested in? Intel or AMD? Replacing the motherboard by a different model probably implies that a new OS will be required because the one that you have is linked to an HP system. Another issue might be the PSU. How powerful is it?
m
l
December 27, 2011 9:03:56 PM

GhislainG said:
You'd need a micro-ATX motherboard, but if the motherboard is/was good, your system could be upgraded to an AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe processor. Is the video card an ATI Radeon HD4350? Before you decide to get a new motherboard, what processor are you interested in? Intel or AMD? Replacing the motherboard by a different model probably implies that a new OS will be required because the one that you have is linked to an HP system. Another issue might be the PSU. How powerful is it?

The Micro-ATX only has 8 gigs max which I would like to get 12-16 in the future plus idk that it will work in my box. I was wondering what I can do about the os if the mother board is good and I just upgrade the processor (not sure how I find that out).Could I put an Intel I5-2500k 3.3 processor in my motherboard and it work or do I HAVE to get a compatible motherboard. If I upgrade to windows 7 ( I have vista) it'll wipe my computer wont it?

I've never built my own comp from peices I always go for the package deals but I'd like to build one in the future and start with something like this.

Sorry about thread mix but this would technically be a solution to my problem. Right? :) 
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 12:07:05 AM

Quote:
Could I put an Intel I5-2500k 3.3 processor in my motherboard and it work or do I HAVE to get a compatible motherboard.
You need a new compatible motherboard.
Quote:
If I upgrade to windows 7 ( I have vista) it'll wipe my computer wont it?
It depends on the version and how you proceed. You can upgrade from Viata 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit and from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. However if you get a new motherboard, you should install Windows 7 instead of upgrading from Vista. You won't have to wipe the hard disk, but you'll have to delete the old Vista folder (it will be renamed) once the installation is complete. It obviously won't be as clean as a fresh installation becasue a few old folders will be kept. I'd recommend that as it will allow you to keep/archive the data. Then it's up to you to decide if a clean install/wipeout of the disk is preferred. Just don't register Windows 7 until you're done.
Quote:
Sorry about thread mix but this would technically be a solution to my problem. Right? :) 
Yes, but also make sure that the front panel connector on your motherboard is standard or that you can figure out how to modifiy it to make it work with a new motherboard. It usually is easier to build from a new case, PSU, motherboard, etc.
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 12:21:21 AM

Here are a few m-ATX motherboards supporting an Intel i5-2500K that should fit in your HP case (only a sample of available motherboards):

- ASRock Z68 PRO3-M
- ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
- MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3)
- ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 (will support Ivy Bridge processors)

I only selected motherboards based on the newer Z68 chipset.
m
l
December 28, 2011 12:34:22 PM

GhislainG said:
Here are a few m-ATX motherboards supporting an Intel i5-2500K that should fit in your HP case (only a sample of available motherboards):

- ASRock Z68 PRO3-M
- ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
- MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) <-- This one I've been looking at but Idk whats better for speed
- ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 (will support Ivy Bridge processors)

I only selected motherboards based on the newer Z68 chipset.

The only game I play that my comp would bog down on is Empire Total War, I would play in 1080p and I'm not sure it was the comp speed as much as it was the graphics card. My HP currently has the AMD Phenom II X4 910 / 2.6 GHz not sure if upgrading it to the GTX 480 GeForce like I want to is gonna make a huge difference on that game but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Regardless I'd like a setup that can be upgraded to at least 16 gigs for in the future, can withstand time (3-5 years) and transplantation (like a fancy case that will help with cooling) and is compatiable with a tried and true yet peppy graphics card.

Thanks for all the comments by the way :)  -Nick
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 1:01:51 PM

The MSI is a good motherboard, but it may not be the best one if you plan on overclocking the CPU.
m
l
December 30, 2011 12:16:58 PM

GhislainG said:
The MSI is a good motherboard, but it may not be the best one if you plan on overclocking the CPU.

I dont intend on it, I cant afford the risk/cooling it so I'll try to keep below specs for that reason.
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 1:02:44 PM

Nac4788 said:
I dont intend on it, I cant afford the risk/cooling it so I'll try to keep below specs for that reason.
If you don't plan on overclocking, then the stock i5-2500K cooler is fine, even when slightly overclocked. However why not save a few dollars and get the 2500 ($10 less) or the 2400 ($30 less)?
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:01:08 PM

GhislainG said:
If you don't plan on overclocking, then the stock i5-2500K cooler is fine, even when slightly overclocked. However why not save a few dollars and get the 2500 ($10 less) or the 2400 ($30 less)?

One guy told me that if I'm having the Bad or Missing Command Interpreter’ error then I should do one of the following:

Boot your computer with a floppy diskette with sys.com file on it. Get to A:\> prompt and execute ‘sys c:’ command. Remove the diskette and start your computer

I don't have a floppy drive so that helps none...

Boot your computer with a Windows repair or install disc. At command prompt, execute ‘/fixmbr’ command. If the issue still continues, the last possible solution is to delete and recreate the hard drive partition(s).

Tried that but I can't get to command prompt cause Idk how...

anybody know how I can get to command prompt to enter something like this?
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 3:04:33 PM

"sys c:" is useless if you don't have a floppy drive.

With the Windows Vista installation disk, you can setup or repair the current installation. If you want to get to the command prompt, select "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt" on the Sysytem Recovery Screen.
m
l
January 6, 2012 12:08:53 PM

GhislainG said:
"sys c:" is useless if you don't have a floppy drive.

With the Windows Vista installation disk, you can setup or repair the current installation. If you want to get to the command prompt, select "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt" on the Sysytem Recovery Screen.

So I think I have figured out the problems.

1. The Processor is getting too hot and needs new paste applied

2. My BootMGR is corrupt ( Took for ever to diagnose)

3. My Repair cd is junk and I'm gonn have to get a new one

After those three things are done I should be up and running again. if not I'm taking out the hard drive and junking the comp and buying a new one...
m
l
!