Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2011 4:50:16 PM

Hello,
I currently have an Athlon LE1600 processor with 4gig of ram but my computer still seems awfully slow. I have used various "fix it" programs with no success. It is a new motherboard,processor and ram but I am thinking it is not fast enough...how do I know what is compatible and will give me a boost, I am tired of waiting for pages to load. I have a cable connection and things were faster with my old processor that died

More about : computer upgrade

December 19, 2011 5:37:43 PM

Mike17090 said:
Hello,
I currently have an Athlon LE1600 processor with 4gig of ram but my computer still seems awfully slow. I have used various "fix it" programs with no success. It is a new motherboard,processor and ram but I am thinking it is not fast enough...how do I know what is compatible and will give me a boost, I am tired of waiting for pages to load. I have a cable connection and things were faster with my old processor that died

that's a budget processor, but it's an AM2 socket. So, if it's slow it's cause the processor is kinda crappy (like 500 score on passmark... compare that to 6000 of a 1100t)... uif you post the motherboard make and model we might be able to make a suggestion on a proc upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2011 8:09:32 PM

you have a single core processor using an old architecture, in this day and age, you need a dual core or higher, im guessing any page with flash takes forever to load even if you have 3gb of memory free, this is a common problem with single cores, as slhpss said, post the board and we can locate the cpu support list

if you are unsure, you can just look for any athlon x2 4000 series ie 4000+ to 5200+ and it should work, though old, they will alleviate your problems
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 11:26:51 PM

slhpss said:
that's a budget processor, but it's an AM2 socket. So, if it's slow it's cause the processor is kinda crappy (like 500 score on passmark... compare that to 6000 of a 1100t)... uif you post the motherboard make and model we might be able to make a suggestion on a proc upgrade.

From what I can see,the motherboard is
MICRO-STAR
785GTH-E45 (MS-7549)
BIOS IS
7545MS-20101202

Does that help or even make any sense, the guy was supposed to have UPGRADED everything but it is worse now than it was before he "fixed" it
m
l

Best solution

December 26, 2011 12:38:43 AM

Ok looking at the info I could find... it looks as if it supports AM3 processors up to 125 Watts...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <-purchase

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/785GTM-E45.html#/?div=CPUS... <-support
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 1:04:11 AM

i cant find your specific board, msi has changed the archive section, ut the 785 chipset was released with the new 45nm generation, so any athlon II/Phenom II should work fine, i would lean more towards the athlon series because they tend to be more power efficient, maybe an x3
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:01:32 AM

Best answer selected by Mike17090.
m
l
!