So I need to upgrade my memory.

emeriacn508

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Im currently running an hp8530 with 5 gigs of memory installed.
I wish to uprade my memory to possibly 6 or 7 gigs. It has ddr2 memory running at 400mhz.
I wanna buy a 2 gig ram stick but it runs at 800mhz. would that not be compatible with my computer?
im fairly new to pc and pc gaming and wanted to get some advice.
Any responses would be appreciated,
Thanks.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Why do you want to upgrade your memory? Are you having problems with running out of memory? Are you running programs that use a lot of memory? What are you running? For gaming, 4G is usually enough although currently most people prefer 8G.

What kind of memory sticks do you have now? it sounds like you have a 1G stick and a 4G stick installed. That's the most likely configuration that results in 5G. I would suggest you find out the model number of the 4G stick and then get another one of those so that you will have a total of 8G.

emeriacn508

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

im on cpu-z and it says there are 4 slots, 3 of them have 1 gigs and 1 slot has 2 gig. And im starting to run games and friends of mine recommended getting an extra gig or two of ram to make it run smoother, sorry im fairly new to Pc and pc gaming

emeriacn508

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
heres the specs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107710.

I have already upgraded the graphics card to a ati radeon hd4350

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Getting more memory is probably not what you need. That configuration (3 1G sticks plus 1 2G) is not ideal but it's not bad either, esp. since it's working fine.

If you really want to improve gaming performance, you're gong to need to upgrade the graphics card with something a little more powerful. The Radeon HD 4350 is an entry level card and not really suitable for any serious gaming unless all you play is stuff like Angry Birds. What kinds of games do you want to be able to play?

Depneding on what you want to play, you probably wil want more from your CPU as well. The Phenom X4 9550 that you have is not really up to snuff for most newer games and even for the ones with lower requirements such as WOW or Diablo III it's pretty far towards the low end.

I would say that you probably need to be thinking about a new build and either scrap, donate or sell your current machine. Based on the link you provided, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 883107710 you can't even install a Phenom II in that motherboard, so it's probably not worth it to upgrade to a high end graphics card. The most that I woud consider putting in there would be a Radeon HD 6670 or maybe a Radon HD 7750 card. However, having had experience with HP systems with older PCIe slots, you may not be able to get those cards to work because your motherboard may not support PCIe version 2.0 and above.

emeriacn508

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Ok thanks for your input, Ive been trying to upgrade the graphics card, im not going to be doing hardcore gaming that requires hgh resolution. mostly call of duty 4, left 4 dead 2, and etc. Also when trying to install my friends old 7800 gt. there was no 6 pin power adapter on the power supply to power the card even though its a 450w power supply, not really sure what to do

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Yeah, I figured that you didn't have the PCIe power connectors. That was why I suggested looking at the 6670 or 7750. Those cards don't require any PCIe power connectors and they should work on your system. However, as I said, there may be an issue with the PCIe v1.0 slots working with the newer PCIe 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 specifications supported by the newer graphics cards. It should work, but I cannot gaurantee it because sometimes it doesn't. If you do decide to upgrade the graphics card just make sure that whomever you buy from has a good return policy in case you need it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If you post your PSU specs you may be fine just getting a 2x4pin molex -> 6pin GPU adapter. There's nothing magic about the 6 pin adapter, but you have to make sure your 12v supply will handle the extra power to supply the 7800gt.