Sign in with
Your question

Dual DVI + DVI --> 3x HDMI Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2011 5:21:37 PM

I'm building a three-monitor gaming setup. I have the monitors. They are HP w2207h, 1680x1050's.

I'm pretty well settled on this card (SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity)
to run the three monitors - with a future upgrade, if needed, to two of them in Crossfire.

The single card is set up to run three DVI monitors through one single and one dual link DVI output. How can I configure/connect my HDMI monitors to this card to work properly? Are there dual-DVI adapters that split to two HDMI cables/connections?
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 5:42:57 PM

Since you have no DVI ports it makes things difficult. I can't find any active DP->HDMI adapters (unless you can do DP->DVI->HDMI, but I wouldn't count on it).

So, just get the Sapphire Flex card which gets rid of the Displayport necessity.

This allows for:
Monitor 1: DVI->HDMI
Monitor 2: DVI->HDMI
Monitor 3: HDMI->HDMI
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2011 5:54:31 PM

It would have been very simple if your monitor have DVI ports. But since they only have HDMI and VGA, here are the possibilities:
1. Connect Monitor #1 to the HDMI port ( in this case, the DVI-Single Link can not be used at the same time with DVI-S).
2. You can connect monitor #2 to the DVI-D using DVI-D to VGA adaptor.
3. You need to buy an active mini-Display port to HDMI cable to connect Monitor #3.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do have Eyefinity and have similar set-up ( my TV only have HDMI & VGA ). In my case, I use the following:
Video Card: Sapphire 6950 2GB Flex Edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1. Connect Monitor #1 to the HDMI port ( in the Flex, the HDMI & DVI-S can both work at the same time ).
2. Connect monitor #2 to the DVI-S using DVI-S to HDMI adaptor that came with my old HIS HD4890.
3. Connect monitor #3 to the DVI-D using the DVI-D to VGA adaptor that came with the Sapphire 6950 2GB Flex box.
4. Connect Monitor #4 via mini DP to VGA adaptor.
Related resources
July 18, 2011 6:23:08 PM

How do y'all like that card? How is the cooler? I am trying to keep the build fairly quiet, and a single-fan cooler seems less reliable and hotter/louder than a dual-fan cooler. I guess I could install a custom ccooler on the card if I have issues?
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2011 6:27:27 PM

pdxoutdoors said:
How do y'all like that card? How is the cooler? I am trying to keep the build fairly quiet, and a single-fan cooler seems less reliable and hotter/louder than a dual-fan cooler. I guess I could install a custom ccooler on the card if I have issues?

From persoinal experience..

the card is absoltuely amazing.

It is ver quiet and stays nice and cool.

though honestly, you will probably be best going with the Saphire Flex 6950 because of the fact that it has a built in adapter thing. It will free you of headaches.
July 18, 2011 8:46:50 PM

phishy714 said:
From persoinal experience..

the card is absoltuely amazing.

It is ver quiet and stays nice and cool.

though honestly, you will probably be best going with the Saphire Flex 6950 because of the fact that it has a built in adapter thing. It will free you of headaches.

I was asking about the Flex 6950:

"How do y'all like that (Flex 6950) card? How is the cooler? I am trying to keep the build fairly quiet, and a single-fan cooler seems less reliable and hotter/louder than a dual-fan cooler. "

Which card is absolutely amazing?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 19, 2011 7:47:27 AM

pdxoutdoors said:
I was asking about the Flex 6950:

"How do y'all like that (Flex 6950) card? How is the cooler? I am trying to keep the build fairly quiet, and a single-fan cooler seems less reliable and hotter/louder than a dual-fan cooler. "

I would go for the dual fan in your case.

The flex is noisy at startup ( while driver is not loaded ) but other than that, its quite or at least I can not hear it when I start gaming with surround sound.

Anyway, the only reason I went for the Flex in favor of the dual fan model is to be able to connect 5 monitors. But when I connect the 5th monitor, the card can detect it and windows can detect it but its always blinking every 10 seconds. I have not been able to fix it until now and there is not enough user around to help. :) 

So if you will be happy with max of 4 monitors, go for the Dirt 3 version of the Sapphire 6950 2GB.
!