Why does my computer shut off?

bloodblitz0

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I built my own computer last black friday (nov. 2010) and i bought ab ocz stealthxstream 2 600W power supply. About a week ago I woke up and turned on my commputer but after 10 mins it randomly died. i tried to turn it on again but it would start up and 10 seconds later it would die. I kept doing this and it would keep shutting off, so i decided to let it rest for an hour and i turned it on again and it worked but only for 10 mins.
Can someone please help me

bloodblitz0

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
i cant test with another psu because i dont have another one and my psu turns on again after like an hour but after 10 mins it dies so i think its dying but i just want to ask people here maybe its happened bfore

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
unplug everything but the basic inputs to rule out a short. If it is shutting down the PS has a short and is trying to save itself or the motherboard, CPU or something on the board is trying to save itself. You should consider this a good thing.

If you unplug EVERTHING, fans, all extra drives, floppy cables, etc. and leave only the mobo power, your video, memory, cpu and one bootable drive connected and all works fine for hours than you can start connecting things back one at a time until it shuts down, then you know what is causing. If it continues to shut down then it is likely the power supply is bad but a CPU overheating will do the same thing. I once had a fan with a short that would shut my computer down. You never know until its all unplugged.