Sigh.. did my 460 already die?

abstraction

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
So, I bought a GTX 460 about 3 weeks ago, got it in a few days and it's worked great up until today. I go to turn on my PC, it doesnt BSOD but it looks like I'm looking through a broken window. The resolution looks like its 800x600, the color is 8bit and distorted and the top left of my monitor looks cracked. I'm running on an x300 right now just fine.

I've monitored the damn temps on that thing, it idled at 25C and hit full load around 60C. What more could I have done? Is it just bad? Am I bad?

Also, how would I go about sending it back? Do I need the box it came in?

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I had this happen to me as well at one point...however, the card was not broken. If I recall this happened either when I installed a new video driver or upgraded the SP on Windows 7. I forget which . Basically windows was setting the resolution instead of the Nvidia control panel because it was not recognizing that it should be using Nvidia.

Anyhow, you might want to make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers and then reboot. I know in my case everything has worked fine after i had the incident with the horrible resolution and 8bit color.

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
That does not sound as good. Double check that the plugs are both connected right (hopefully no bent pins if you are using DVI). I can't recall my boot up screen being messed up but I may not have been paying attention.

Also one thing that worries me is you mentioned an x300. .

You might be getting a conflict between the driver sets on both cards. (I have always used Nvidia, but I read that you should uninstall your Radeon drivers, shut down, install new card, boot up, then install nvidia drivers). At this point you may want to make sure you uninstall all drivers for both manufacturers and then put in the nvidia card and install its drivers.

abstraction

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Well, after uninstalling and reinstalling drivers 10 different times and reseating and seating the video card 100 different times, it's decided to work again. Not sure what that was, but thanks for your help, otherwise I would have just RMA'd it.