Suggest system for Stock / Share Trading or 2D DATA

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for reading my question.

I am building a system for Share Trading or Stock Trading purpose only IE only 2D data with multi-monitors (initially 4 monitors but later I can connect two more). No browsing, no downloading or other stuffs. Please suggest me best configuration. Budget is not an issue but don't want to spend money for those features which I will not use.

First confusion is whether to go for workstation or not? Please suggest. Reliability is one of the most imp requirement.

Configuration which I have finalized after reading this great site for a week approx is below mentioned.

Processor : i7 2600K (May go for overclocking)

Motherboard : Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.0)

Nvidia NVS 295/300/450 for multi monitor

RAM : CORSAIR 1600 12800C7, 16 GB total.

2 * 500 GB HDD Seagate or Western Digital 7200 rpm, Raid 1

CASE : Antec P193 / Antec P183

PSU : ANTEC TPQ850

CPU COOLER : Tranquillo / Titan Fenrir

No SSD : Pls suggest

Monitor : Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM with LED

Please give your valuable suggestions for the above mentioned configuration. Am I missing something important ?

Is there any difference in performance of 500 GB and 1 TB hdd ?

Is it ok to go for two Cards of NVS 295 / 300 instead of one NVS 450 ? If I am not wrong then one will run on 16x and second one will run on 8x. Is it right ? If so then should I go for one IE NVS 450 ?

Instead of Nvidia the other option is Matrox. Which one is better ?

Is there any major difference in 2D data if I opt for Xeon 3500 series processor with compatible motherboard?

Please give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for reply madchemist.

I am buying four monitors at present. All are of Dell Ultrasharp U3212HM with LED.

I am quiet hesitant with SSD's. Instead of that I will go with normal HDD's of 500 GB or 1TB with Raid 1 because system reliablility is the top priority.

madchemist83

Distinguished
That is wise desicion. Also I would sugget a battery so in case power goes out u still good.
i2600k is a good option also u might whanna wait for Buldozewr to come out.
for GPU NVS 450 is a best choice
U will not need that much power as ur CPu will draw about 115W(135W oced) and ur GPU only 35W.. plus extra HDD and RAm - 250W tops .. so all u need is very good quality 500W .. check FSP or Seasonic

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thank you madchemist.

Can you please suggest exact model for some other power supply of 550 w? I trust Antec.

Is it worthy to wait for Bulldozer?

Regarding battery: I have plans to go for some good power backup. Please suggest some good options.

why not a pair of 5670s with eyefinity in crossfire to handle up to 6 monitors? inexpensive ($75 each), and it'll handle all the 2D data you can throw at them.

a 2600 for number crunching (don't get the K, as you won't overclock if you plan for reliability)

8 or 16 GB of RAM

an SSD is a must for *fast* data storage and retrieval, even RAID of 10000RPM drives pales compared to an SSD. get a 120GB drive. Crucial or IBM.

since you like antec, the Antec EW 380W or HCP 520W will be plenty for this type of build,

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for all the reply's.

NVS is designed basically for the 2D data ie financial data. That's why it is my first choice. If you have anything else besides this in your mind then refer me.

Also reply, is i5 more than enough for me? Basically I want to go with i7 2600k but some people suggested me that i5 with maximum core speed is sufficient for me. Bring some light on this.

Does OC unstable my system ? If so then I will go for 2600 instead of i7 2600k. Please suggest some good Asus motherboard also for 2600.

Is 16 GB ram good for financial data ? Or 8 GB is more than enough, please suggest.

I will calculate the power requirement only after finalizing the configuration.

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Regarding SSD as replied by ScrewSqrl

Thanks for suggesting SSD but stability is most important criteria and speed comes to next. Even in this scenario will you suggest SSD?

I want to go for Raid 1. I have one more doubt here. Is 500 GB or 1TB make any difference in speed? Please comment.

SSDs are perfectly stable and blindingly fast.

Overclocking is always going to have an instability risk...often slight, but there -- Its pushing the chip past its factory specifications. its not unlike tuning a car to get more horsepower. It will work, but it will shorten the life of the CPU. f you plan to use it for 2 years, this is not an issue. If you plan to use it for 5 or more years, then don't overclock.

as for 2500(K) vs 2600(K), it depends how many multithreaded apps you will be running.

I'll stand by the SSD + mechanical data drive and a pair of 5670s as better choices than RAID + NVS in money.

8 GB is probly enough for what you'll be doing.

as for 500 GB vs 1 TB in mechanical drives, most top-flight 1TB drives have a pair of 500 GB platters, so no real speed difference. I'd suggest the samsung spinpoint F3 1TB, or a pair in RAID 1, as your data drive, as its a very fast, inexpensive drive.

TwilightD

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks ScrewySqrl... very unique username and love that running sqrl !!

After your suggestion = NO OC

Now please suggest best processor with Mother Board.

Ok so now as per your suggestion, I will go with 120GB SSD's and one other harddisk. Now pls suggest one more thing, is it possible to go for RAID 1 with one mechanical hdd and one SSD? Is yes then I will not think twice. I also like the speed of SSD's.

Regarding multithreaded apps = I want to use this system for next few years so I want to be ready for future. Thats I want to go for maximum core speed with HT technology. Pls suggest.

I will use atleast 8 charts per monitor and total of 4 monitors at present. Wont I feel any difference in speed if I go with 8 GB instead of 16 GB RAM ?

I dont trust Samsung for drives. Seagate or Western Digital are my preference. Is there major difference in speed between Samsung and Seagate ?

100 GB is more than enough for me. Disk space

Regarding NVS and 5670's = NVS is basically for 2D applications with many good features for financial markets. I am not familiar with 5670's. I will search about it.

You are influencing my decision too much !!

a 5670 is last generation (2010 model) of AMD's low-end general purpose graphics card. My itself, it can handle 2D data on up to 3 screens, two together can handle 6 screens.

RAID requires *identical* drives. You could RAID 2 Seagate 1GB drives together, or two Intel 120 GB SSDs together (though RAIDing SSDs limits TRIM support for garbage collection),

If you prefer seagate, newegg has a 1 TB Seagate drive for $50 after promo code, ending today
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Oh, and MadChemist, I find it amusingly ironic that someone with a hammer & sickle icon is helping create a stock market computer design

striker410

Distinguished
Hi Twilight,

I saw this thread and thought I'd share my opinion. Add another voice, lol.

I agree with Sqrl on dual 5670's. Since you have so much screen real estate, you want to be sure you can push the pixels. The 5670's can do that for sure.

I also agree the that 2600 is a wise choice. While it may be "overkill", it won't go to waste and will help in the future, when more multi-threaded apps become available.

A 120GB SSD is a good choice. A Crucial M4 is probably the best bet, since you'll need the stability and reliability it offers.

No, you cannot RAID with an SSD and an HDD. You gotta use 2 identical drives, I believe.

I must recommend Samsung, as the Spinpoint F3 drives are stellar. If you don't feel comfortable, a 500GB WD caviar drive would be fine.

8GB vs 16GB won't make a speed difference, most likely. 8GB is plenty.

So with that, I recommend a motherboard like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130612 It's the cheapest board with dual 8x lanes, which is best for crossfire solutions.

Cheers!

g-unit1111

Titan

You don't really need the 2600 for number crunching - i mean you can get by with an i3-2100 for that. I run multiple Excel files daily and I almost never overload my CPU that way. Especially if you don't plan to overclock. I'm running the i3-2100 right now with a 64GB Crucial M4, and I'm running programs that, before on my old builds (one was using Phenom II and the other using Core 2 Duo), would take up an entire load on my CPU and now I almost never even come close to using the full capacity.

And I definitely second the Crucial SSD recommendation, they make amazing drives.

lsimon

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Did you build your system yet?

I'm looking at building a new system with similar specs to yours, thinking of expanding from current 3, to six monitors.

If you haven't done so I'd really recommend a good SSD. About 18 months ago I went SSD and I think that has really made a difference with my trading system. I use the Tradestation platform and I think there is a lot of data caching to the hard drive. I used to have a lot of Tradestation lock-ups and know others that still do but now I do seldom if ever and I credit a lot of that to the SSD. I'd go larger than the 120GB. I use a 120GB and it around 85% full - although I think that is due to some other data (like iPhone and iPad backups) I haven't figured out how to get stored on a different drive yet. I use my SSD only for C: boot drive and items that must be on drive C:, including all the Tradestation working files. I have a regular HDD in the system as drive D: and I keep all data, including daily Tradestation backups of the working data, on drive D.

I'd love to know which video card you picked and why and how you like it. To me figuring out what video card to use is the most confusing. I don't do any gaming but do a very small amount of photo editing and video editing (stuff from family and vacations) on my computer as well.

lsimon

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I looked up 5670 on Newegg and the cards that came up only had one monitor port. Am I missing something here? And if so can you point me in the direction needed to enlighten me please.