USB drive not seen in Windows

I'm running XP Home (fully updated) on a system with 512 Mb RAM and an
Athlon XP2800+ (2.08 Ghz) chip. No problems so far.

I just bought a Fujifilm 256Mb USB drive. When I plug it into a USB
port, Windows recognizes it, and its LED blinks appropriately for
proper use.

However, it does not show (as J drive, as it should be) in "My
Computer" or in Windows Explorer.

I've checked the USB drive in other USB ports - no change; I've
checked other devices in the same USB ports - they work; I've tried
the drive in another machine - no problem.

The Fujifilm drive does show up in My
Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Disk Drives, which says
its working fine; it also shows up in Start/All Programs/Adminstrative
Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Removable Storate/Media (and in
/Libraries, there). I can even "Open" it from "Media", and - as a
"kludge" move files to and from it. Finally, if I open a DOS (Command
Prompt) window, I can use DOS commands to log onto the J drive and use
it normally through the command line.

I've tried: "Refresh", rebooting, changing the Drive letter from "J"
to something else; reverting to a previous "Restore Point", etc.
Nothing seems to make a difference. I've also spoken to a few people I
know and to a "store technician"... no luck.

I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks!

Dave

kelly

In the Device Manager, left click Disk Drives, then right click: Scan for
hardware changes. If that doesn't help and you are using TweakUI, make sure
that drive letter is not un-checked under Drives.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

<davidingre@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Home (fully updated) on a system with 512 Mb RAM and an
> Athlon XP2800+ (2.08 Ghz) chip. No problems so far.
>
> I just bought a Fujifilm 256Mb USB drive. When I plug it into a USB
> port, Windows recognizes it, and its LED blinks appropriately for
> proper use.
>
> However, it does not show (as J drive, as it should be) in "My
> Computer" or in Windows Explorer.
>
> I've checked the USB drive in other USB ports - no change; I've
> checked other devices in the same USB ports - they work; I've tried
> the drive in another machine - no problem.
>
> The Fujifilm drive does show up in My
> Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Disk Drives, which says
> its working fine; it also shows up in Start/All Programs/Adminstrative
> Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Removable Storate/Media (and in
> /Libraries, there). I can even "Open" it from "Media", and - as a
> "kludge" move files to and from it. Finally, if I open a DOS (Command
> Prompt) window, I can use DOS commands to log onto the J drive and use
> it normally through the command line.
>
> I've tried: "Refresh", rebooting, changing the Drive letter from "J"
> to something else; reverting to a previous "Restore Point", etc.
> Nothing seems to make a difference. I've also spoken to a few people I
> know and to a "store technician"... no luck.
>
> I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks!
>
> Dave

Hi,

Have you assigned the drive letter 'J' to a network drive ? If so, then when you plug the USB drive
in, it may not be visible in My Computer. If this is the case, try assigning the network drive some
other drive letter. This will make the USB drive visible in explorer when plugged in.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#ud1$vabEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> Have you assigned the drive letter 'J' to a network drive ? If so, then when you plug the USB drive
> in, it may not be visible in My Computer. If this is the case, try assigning the network drive some
> other drive letter. This will make the USB drive visible in explorer when plugged in.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> <davidingre@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:cgsnf099gi1rh0gljlv9ji226u3apmmfo8@4ax.com...
> > I'm running XP Home (fully updated) on a system with 512 Mb RAM and an
> > Athlon XP2800+ (2.08 Ghz) chip. No problems so far.
> >
> > I just bought a Fujifilm 256Mb USB drive. When I plug it into a USB
> > port, Windows recognizes it, and its LED blinks appropriately for
> > proper use.
> >
> > However, it does not show (as J drive, as it should be) in "My
> > Computer" or in Windows Explorer.
> >
> > I've checked the USB drive in other USB ports - no change; I've
> > checked other devices in the same USB ports - they work; I've tried
> > the drive in another machine - no problem.
> >
> > The Fujifilm drive does show up in My
> > Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Disk Drives, which says
> > its working fine; it also shows up in Start/All Programs/Adminstrative
> > Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Removable Storate/Media (and in
> > /Libraries, there). I can even "Open" it from "Media", and - as a
> > "kludge" move files to and from it. Finally, if I open a DOS (Command
> > Prompt) window, I can use DOS commands to log onto the J drive and use
> > it normally through the command line.
> >
> > I've tried: "Refresh", rebooting, changing the Drive letter from "J"
> > to something else; reverting to a previous "Restore Point", etc.
> > Nothing seems to make a difference. I've also spoken to a few people I
> > know and to a "store technician"... no luck.
> >
> > I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks!
> >
> > Dave

I had this same problem and Anando's solution worked for me. The USB
driver is apparently not aware of network drives, and so in my case
the next available drive as far as it was concerned was H:, but I had
a network drive mapped to H:. When I disconnected the network drive
and rebooted, H: showed up in My Computer as a removeable disk and I
could see my camera's contents. This sounds like a bug to me.

Margaret

kmahalick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Kelly,
I appreciate your solution I spent months trying to figure out why a USB stick would not show up, simple and elegant solution!
Thank you
Karen