Mixed speed Xeon's on a HP server, can I

derickmoore

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have a ML370-G5 (HP Server) with a single quad core Xeon processor.
I would like to add a second quad core Xeon processor with the same speed FSB.

I have: Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5345 (2.33 GHz, 80 Watts, 1333 FSB)

And want to add: Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5470 (3.33 GHz, 120 Watts, 1333 FSB)

Nothing in the HP literature I can find suggests that I cannot do this, but.....

Nothing in the HP literature I can find suggests I can either.

Usually, I am aware, that mixing is forbidden, but also usually, the documents specify that limitation.

Can anyone tell me about mixing Xeon's? Does it make a difference that the FSB speeds are the same?

Thank you, Derick

derickmoore

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Tom's told me there was an error the first time I entered this message, so I tried again, not realizing that the question was already posted.

This is a duplicate, and I there was a delete button I would have removed it.

Derick

derickmoore

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Christian,

I am working with transcoding video data.

Which would you recommend?

Add a second 2.33Ghz processor or replace with a 3.3Ghz processor.

I don't know how to weigh the advantages of the 12 MB vs. 8MB cache in this situation.

Thank you, Derick

The answer to that question is the up to the nature of the software that you are running. Check with the software manufacturer to see how many threads they can support in multi-threading. The more threads that they can support the greater the performance boost from extra cores. The cache helps in loading the data to the processor the more cache the best on data intensive applications. I would say it wouldnt make up over 1GHz performance difference between the processors but there maybe other factors like power draw that may make a difference between an 80w TDP and a 120w TDP processor as to which is the choice for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team