Why my computer freezes without error messages

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello,
I just put together a computer with the following specs:
dual opteron 2356 socket F 1207
MSI k9ND speedster V1.1(bios v 2.2)
12 Gigs Memory(8=2x4 sticks)(4=1x4sticks)
XFX 9800GT card
500Gig HDD
750W PSU
Win 7 uLTIMATE 64 BIT

i have swapped memory and video card(radeon 1600). Haven't tested HDD or memory.
The computer seems to run fine then locks up!!!!
Have to hard boot with power switch,No warning, no error messages, no entries in event viewer other than the hard boot. It locks up from installing prog, to downloading from utorrent.

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Seagate 500Gig 7200 rpm HDD.
I'm really hoping it's not the MOBO.
It recognizes all 8 cores, all 12g of memory, DVD drive and HDD.
I look in device manager and no "!" signs, all 8 cores are present. Which I think means the MOBO is working.

I have noticed in BIOS the TEMP on CPU-0 is high bt since this is my first build I'm not sure. I'm not at home to check it now but I'll get there tomorrow and post the TEMPS.

I plan on testing MEM, HDD and re-installing CPU-0 with arctic thermal compound since it came installed when I got it I installed CPU-1 miself using arctic and TEMP is way lower.

any thoughts?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Admittedly it sounds like a BIOS problem.

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
i thought so too but looking at MSI website the BIOS is 2.20 and thats what i got.
one weird things is on website its dated 7/26 but in my bios is dated 6/26.
almosta month difference. even though is same version.

should I reflash it? never done that before kind of scary messing with BIOS.
any tips/website to learn?

thanks for your posts to all.

dairaioh

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The "lock up" thing your system has done is the southbridge (nforce 3600 pro) overheating a lot! I have one workstation using the same board and, to stop these things from occur, I changed the provided aluminum heatsink for another one (enzotech SLF-1, in my case). And about the CPU-0 TEMP reading, you don´t have to worry, because they´re wrong in the bios. Said that, you can use the speedfan, everest etc. to see the real readings. Good luck! :)

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Thanks will give it a try. Right now I have a passive one. Thanks for the tip.

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Quick question, I have a XFX 9800 GT video card. right now when its installed it goes over the passive heat sink install. If I replace the heatsink with one having a fan, will it clear enough to still use the 9800?
I think it will. the spec for the ENZO have it at 12mm height (total) I take that to mean copper and fan together.
Your thoughts?

What video card you are using?

first dump 4 gigs of the memory.. keep the 2 4gig sticks as its likely to be mismatched timings that are causing your lockup.
as for the 98gt if it has a passive cooler then just get a 60mm fan and sit it on top of the fins... this will create enough airflow to drop your temps considerably and will stop the lockup if its gfx based.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I would lean toward the HDD being the problem. Then memory, then board, then PSU (unlikely but, I don't play favorites)

Please edit your first post to include brands and other information. The brand can make worlds of difference in where we start to point fingers.

dairaioh

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Yes, it will be clear enough for your 9800 GT. I prefer to put that card in the last pci-e slot, because my card is an AMD Radeon HD6970 and it takes 2 slots to fit (just losing one pci slot). If you have more questions, just ask.

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Just to clarify my specs and as requested I'm adding Brands:
dual opteron 2356 socket F 1207
MSI k9ND speedster V1.1(bios v 2.2)
Hynix 12 Gigs Memory(8=2Gx4 sticks)(4=1Gx4sticks)
XFX 9800GT NVIDIA card
Seagate 500Gig HDD
750W PSU
Win 7 uLTIMATE 64 BIT

The memory is all the same brand and timings. Ran memtest86 overnight and completed over 10 passes with out errors. I also ran test 4 for 22 passes and test 7 for 10 passes on all 12G with no errors. I also ran the test that comes with the Win 7 disk when you do a repair.

I ran the Advance System Care 5 on the HDD and no errors. I replaced the HDD with another Seagate 500GB, 7200 rpm drive and did a long format and Advance Sys care 5 and did a fresh install of Win 7 64-bit.

I haven't reflased the Bios. I tryed, but the pone downloaded from MSI website even though is a month newer than the one I have installed didn't run on Win 7. I didn't want to mess with USB since I'm not very sure how to do it that way. If any body knows another way to flash the Bios pls let me know.

That's all I've done/tryed so far. I will order a new heatsink for the chipset and replace my passive one. I'm betting on dairaioh's experince to pay off.

Anybody knows a good place to find another workstation/server MOBO for my Opterons, any sugestions? Just preping for the worst and hopeing for the best.

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

I tryed puting the card in the second (bottom) PCI-e but didnt get any video out. Do I have to do something special on the BIOS so that slot is the primary, or something?

dairaioh

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

If I remember correctly, it´s just plug´n play. That said, it could be a bad contact in the slot and it has to be cleaned. Have you tried another pci-e card in that slot (it doesn´t matter if it´s x1, x4, x8, x16)?

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Yes, moving a video card to slot 2 (or lower) is plug-and-play BUT, if the board as integrated video (sandy bridge or newer AMD FX) it may default to that instead. ALSO, speed will be x8 in slot 2 in most cases, wven without PCIe 1 being populated.

Try setting the iming for memory in the BIOS, that may solve the problem. If that doesn't work set them to lower timings (i.e. if rated 9-9-9-12, set to 12-12-12-18) and see if that helps.

MSI motherboards are notorious for problems like these. I stay FAR away from MSI motherboards for this reason. (And short life-span) Their graphics cards, however, are my top choice so I won't bash MSI too hard.

Once again, post back with findings

pizarrocruz2

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hey guys it's officially a bust.

Ordered, replace and tested the chipset cooler and still the same freezes.
Plus now I'm having trouble get a video signal.

Anybody knows where I can purchase another MOBO?
Prefereably MSI K9ND V2.
Anybody knows of another good MOBO for Dual Socket F 1207?

Thanks to everybodies input butI don't feel like puting any more effort and money into this board. It's pretty clear it's a bad board I'm dealing with here.

Thanks