Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboards for i3-3225 and i5-3750k

Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2012 8:29:01 PM

I am planning out two different builds with the i3-3225 and the i5-3750k for daily tasks and entry level gaming and just had a few questions.

Questions:
How does the ASRock Pro4 compare to the ASRock Extreme4 (For the i5)? Note - No plans for overclocking
What are the major differences between Micro ATX and ATX? Will there be real world differences?
What would be the best motherboard for my i3-3225? (Buying from MicroCenter - http://microcenter.com/category/4294966996/Motherboards)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
If you could answer any of these questions I'd be grateful!
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 8:52:44 PM

id get neither. get the asus z77-v LK
October 1, 2012 9:07:02 PM

Any particular reasons?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:13:01 PM

i use it, its got all the things you need, and its cheaper than the extreme4
October 1, 2012 9:18:18 PM

Well at Microcenter the extreme4 is cheaper than the asus z77 and the pro4 is the cheaper than the extreme4 (on sale right now)
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:21:26 PM

well then id suggest the extreme4 then

as for the best motherboard for a i3, id suggest the h77m. sells for 69.99 at newegg or us.ncix
October 1, 2012 9:23:12 PM

Would you happen to know the difference between Micro ATX's and ATX's? Somebody told me to stick with the full size ATX instead of micro
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:30:44 PM

If you dont want to overclock then buy a i5-3570k? Buy a non overclockable i5 cpu like i5-3550.
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:31:50 PM

yes. matx is just a mobo with less slots
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:42:40 PM

navluap said:
Would you happen to know the difference between Micro ATX's and ATX's? Somebody told me to stick with the full size ATX instead of micro

Micro-atx provide limited memory slot with limited memory size capacity. Also less pci-e slot, may not support multi-gpu and may not support overclock or has limited overclock. Its good for non-overclocking budget build.

ATX has more memory slot with more memory support. Supports multi-gpu and higher overclocking potential.
October 1, 2012 9:52:46 PM

Well I am buying from microcenter and they do not have any i5's with HD 4000 (Which I am willing to pay extra for) other than the 3750k. So you think I could go with a micro board for my purposes? I'm only going to use 8 gigs of ram.
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 9:57:50 PM

the i5 3470 and the i5 3570 has hd4000 graphics but you shouldnt be using it if you have a video card.

the matx would be fine for your usage
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 11:18:51 PM

still. you can only really play cod and WoW on intergrated.
October 1, 2012 11:33:38 PM

I only plan on playing games like dota 2 and LoL. I play console for the heavier games
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 11:34:57 PM

console....................
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 11:35:30 PM

I just bought the 3570k and the gigabyte z77-ds3h and very happy with it. Only thing with it being a budget board, it literally comes with..a sata cable, the plate and the manual lol. Never seen such a lack of cables before, but i guess you get what you pay for.

Only problem I had (installed via USB no dvd drive of course) is that the ethernet and usb3 is not natively supported by windows 7. Meaning I had to install the drivers and without optical drive that proved difficult.

I second the motion of adding some form of GPU to your build. You'd get better FPS using the I3 and a dedicated GPU than just using a 3570k.
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 11:41:27 PM

it will do the job

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2012 11:48:06 PM

Yes but don't forget the bundles! You can still get the Z77 board for $50! So you would essentially be "downgrading" for no reason.

Check page 28 on http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3305b16d#/3305b16d/... I don't want to confuse you anymore, but I would suggest a Z77+ the 3250 and adding a dedicated GPU.

The 6670 is $60 on newegg with shipping.

Also lol runs fairly well on my laptop @1366x720 on an HD3000 so I would imagine it would run fine on an HD4000.
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 12:12:30 AM

A dedicated GPU will absolutely smash an HD4000 (numerous articles on this on toms hardware as well). Just having more cores will not make the games smoother compared to the difference the dedicated GPU makes.

So if you are just looking for a "budget" build given a fixed amount of say $240 that gives you the most gaming enjoyment (FPS)I would recommend going (3225)2core and GPU rather than (3570k)4 core without gpu(HD4000).

Note: the deal for the boards requires either a 3225, 3570k or 3770k!
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 12:18:10 AM

Aye I'm going with the http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... article and the Sapphire seems to fit the bill with DDR3. Also don't bother with cards at this price point that come with 2gb of memory or more, as you will run out of performance before the VRAM will ever be used up. 1GB is perfectly fine at this price point.
October 2, 2012 12:21:01 AM

You read my mind, I was just about to ask about the 2GB upgrade! Do you know when the Microcenter deal will end?
EDIT: Nevermind on the deal, I found it. But do you think that there would be better deals around Black Friday?
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 12:29:56 AM

If you can wait maybe? I buy my hardware when I need it so I'm not sure what to say. My recommendation always is: Does your computer full fill your current needs? If it doesn't then upgrade now. There is always faster, better, cheaper on the horizon.

The 3570k was a huge upgrade for me over my older AMD and I'm glad I bought it now with no regrets. Might I get it cheaper in a months time? Maybe but that's one month more I'd had to use my old hardware.
October 2, 2012 2:37:49 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
I just bought the 3570k and the gigabyte z77-ds3h and very happy with it. Only thing with it being a budget board, it literally comes with..a sata cable, the plate and the manual lol. Never seen such a lack of cables before, but i guess you get what you pay for.

Only problem I had (installed via USB no dvd drive of course) is that the ethernet and usb3 is not natively supported by windows 7. Meaning I had to install the drivers and without optical drive that proved difficult.

I second the motion of adding some form of GPU to your build. You'd get better FPS using the I3 and a dedicated GPU than just using a 3570k.

Sorry to back so far but I didn't notice this before, you said you had some problems with the drivers. Do you expect me to run into these same problems with the pro4 (or extreme4) and are there any guides to this problem anywhere?
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 3:22:32 AM

Well the driver problem was really only me not having an optical drive. The drivers were all supplied on a dvd but I did my(win 7) install via a usb drive. Obviously I couldn't get the drivers installed since I didn't have an optical drive.

I copied the drivers to a USB but made the mistake of not copying them onto the SSD before installing them! Since one of the drivers was for the USB 3 (and I was using USB 3 front port on my case with my USB drive) the install crashed while it attempted to install the drivers. During the driver install it would disconnect the media connected via said USB 3 port creating an endless loop! In the end I could have averted this by coping all the files to the desktop but hindsight is 20/20.

In the end I just ended up copying the drivers for the Ethernet adapter onto another USB drive and used one of the USB 2 ports(which are natively supported by windows 7) and allowed windows 7 update do it's thing and downloaded the rest of the drivers directly from gigabyte.

LONG STORY SHORT: If you have an optical disk drive don't worry about drivers, since they are supplied with the motherboard.

If you don't have an optical drive, and are installing using USB key, make sure that you:
a.) use one of the USB2.0 drives while installing drivers/windows 7
b.) have access to a laptop/desktop with a optical disk drive/internet connection so that you can copy the necessary drivers onto the USB key.

Again if you have a DVD drive you will NOT need these steps. These errors were my own fault since I haven't used a DVD drive in about 4 years and have relied on installing my last ~17 copies of windows7 using USB only!

This is one of the problems of using brand new hardware. Some of the features are not supported natively by the OS (PS this was using w7 professional SP1 slipstream) yet. Here's a big cheer to windows8 supporting USB3 natively!
October 4, 2012 9:28:36 PM

Was the Windows 7 with USB install difficult and were there many problems with it?
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 10:08:26 PM

Install is easy and in my opinion faster. I've only used UBS install for the last years.
October 4, 2012 11:12:09 PM

Oh disregard that last question if you saw it, after you get your key for OS on your flash drive how would u go about downloading OS on the SSD?
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 11:52:05 PM

You would download the OS before hand on another computer. In most cases this means Microsoft provider digital river who also supplies the USB key maker here : http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage...

If you are a part of MSDN or are buying the digital version from amazon for example, they too would offer different download locations as well as versions.

Also keep in mind you do not have to register or use your key as soon as you install windows7. In fact I usually don't activate windows until I know it works! Meaning no hardware issues, driver issues etc. so that if I have to reinstall numerous times I don't eventually get a note from microsoft saying: hey you have used this key 15 times in the last 24 hours, whats up?

The install itself would work just like it would off of the DVD. Select the drive at boot, and follow the instructions. It's just faster and more convenient.
October 5, 2012 12:04:22 AM

So if I were to DL OS onto my USB, use it to boot up my computer. Then use it to DL the OS for the SSD, could I use 1 key for both and not use them at the same time or would I have to take the OS off my USB before using on my SSD?
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 2:17:31 AM

I think you are misunderstanding something. You don't install windows onto the USB. You just copy the installation files onto it, just like they are on a DVD.

You then install using either a USB or DVD the windows OS onto the HDD. At no time do you use a "key" when copying the installation files to a USB or DVD. The key is only used after you have installed windows onto a systems harddrive.
October 5, 2012 4:28:14 AM

Excellent piece of work. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to reading more such intriguing stuff. Thanks for sharing su ch a information.
October 18, 2012 5:41:53 AM

Best answer selected by navluap.
!