Strange Half Boot and Restart Help Please

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello Fellow Techies :hello:
I am having an issue :fou: with a new gaming computer i built specs as follows, I looked though the forums and no ones problem is like mine hense the post. When my new build which i have Windows 7 Professional installed on, boots up i can hear the HDD spin up about half way then everything shuts off for a second and then winds back up on its own and works perfectly??? What the hell? Another thing when the bios is starting it says No physical disk! which is wrong because it has one I put it in and it works. Once the thing is on it works perfectly and fast :D .

System
Asus P8P67 Deluxe MoBo
Intel Core i5 2500k @4.37Ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
RipJaw 8GB (2x4) Memory
XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
RaidMax RX-630SS ATX 630w PSU
I also have the Front side bus installed that came with the MoBo, and just a POS old monitor i had in the closet and a USB keyboard and mouse with a Ethernet cable attached that has a home group shared with my old pc as i am still in troublshooting phase.

Thanks For Your Help
Anthony

Solution
There may be nothing wrong with your computer, the no disk message may mean no IDE drives or RAID. The hard drive turning off may be due to the power supply struggling with the start up load, try another power supply, or may be due to a peculiarity of your BIOS.
There may be nothing wrong with your computer, the no disk message may mean no IDE drives or RAID. The hard drive turning off may be due to the power supply struggling with the start up load, try another power supply, or may be due to a peculiarity of your BIOS.

Solution

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Final Note: Today I replaced the Raidmax 630 with a Rosewill Bronze 1000W PSU this fixed the problem, the scary part is when unhooking the computer to make repairs the PSU cord was very hot and rubbery since it has been in use like it was for a while. I'm not sure if it was the cheap PSU or the fact that it wasn't big enough whatever the case there it is.