Sign in with
Your question

Should i be worried?

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2011 10:06:17 PM

A "full" background story, about a year ago i got a new rig (info below if that is important) it ran flawlessly for 5-6months, then i started getting alot of BSODs i tried a whole bunch of things, i replaced most of my hardware one piece at the time, with the exception of my PSU, motherboard and CPU, that didn't help and i kept getting BSODs. I then had the motherboard sent in for a check up, but after 3weeks of testing they couldn't find any problem with it, i decided to see if they had fixed something, since i didn't get any bill for the checkup (if a piece of hardware is send for repair and no errors are found you have to pay the expenses), and sure enough the problems where gone untill about 1month ago, then i started getting BSODs again, and the occational No Post when the system crashed, the only solution to the no post was taking out mu CPU and putting it in again, nothing fancy, that would stop the BOSDs for 1-3days, I am still unable to replace the CPU and/or the motherboard in my rig, but i've tried disabling all the cores from bios, which didn't help, i kept getting BSODs running on only 1 core active.

Now, i did just read that a common reason for BSODs and freezes is the PSU, and i should use HW monitor to check what the v3.3 v5 and v12 rails where running

Bios tells me that i'm running about 3.34 on the v3.3 5.04 on the v5 and 11.88 on the v12, which should be fine

What HW monitor tells me the rails are running at is something compleatly different, the v3.3 is running at 3.31, which fine, but the scary part is that acording to HW monitor my v5 rail should only be running at 3.28 and my v12 rail should be running at 14.08, now those two numbers added up is 17.36, which is close to what those two should be running together, so it could be explained by it not really beeing able to tell the two apart. Should the info in HW monitor be correct i would assume that could explain alot of the BSODs and freezes i'm getting.

My Rig is i'm not sure if any of the info beside the PSU is important, but i'm posting it just in case (and no nothing is overclocked)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0Ghz
Mobo: MSI 870A-G54
Memory 1x4gb Corsair XMS3 1333 (yes there s only one memory stick)
PSU: Corsair VX 550w
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX460 1gb
HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB

Screenshot of HW monitor, the system is hot because i've been running prime for about 2hours there seeing if that would change anything (it didn't really and min and max will tell you)

More about : worried

December 19, 2011 10:10:09 PM

that 12v reading is a bit on the high side, what does it say in the bios for 12v voltage,
edit: dont worry my hw monitor reports about 13.5v but in the bios its fine, hwmonitor can get voltages a bit wrong
December 19, 2011 10:12:47 PM

As mentioned in my wall of text

v12 is running at about 11.88v
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 10:59:08 PM

If the 5v was really 3.24V the computer would not run. I think that the hardware monitor is reporting incorrect voltages because it does not understand your chipset. You could measure the voltages with an multimeter or you could check the voltages with the hardware monitor in the BIOS but I don't think that it well tell you anything useful about your problem.

You are approaching the problem in the wrong way, most blue screens are caused by either driver problems (particularly graphics drivers) or memory problems. The first thing to do is to eliminate the memory as being the cause of your problem, download and run memtest86 overnight. What program is causing the blue screens and what is the error code? this may give you a clue as to the driver that is causing the problem if the memory is not at fault.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 11:15:41 PM

dont go by hwmonitors voltage readings, they are not accurate. us a multimetre.
December 21, 2011 5:39:57 PM

pjmelect said:
If the 5v was really 3.24V the computer would not run. I think that the hardware monitor is reporting incorrect voltages because it does not understand your chipset. You could measure the voltages with an multimeter or you could check the voltages with the hardware monitor in the BIOS but I don't think that it well tell you anything useful about your problem.

You are approaching the problem in the wrong way, most blue screens are caused by either driver problems (particularly graphics drivers) or memory problems. The first thing to do is to eliminate the memory as being the cause of your problem, download and run memtest86 overnight. What program is causing the blue screens and what is the error code? this may give you a clue as to the driver that is causing the problem if the memory is not at fault.

Thanks for the advice regarding a trying to check the voltage using a multimeter, having tried that the numbers showen by the multimeter tells me that everything is running at the appropriate voltage.

Regarding my BSOD problem, I'm not getting an error code i'm getting the 'Hardware Malfunction' message BSODs. So i'm farily certain it isn't a driver problem, but rather a faulty motherboard, CPU and PSU, (only things i haven't been able to replace). Thanks for the advice though :) 

But i can't seem to figure out what is causing the Hardware Malfunction BSODs, as mentioned i've replaced every piece of hardware beside the Motherboard, but i've had that tested by "professionals" i've disabled core 2, 3 and 4 on my CPU and my PSU is delivering the appropriate voltage. so if you've got any advice on how to troubleshoot that i'm all ears :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 9:57:37 PM

As I said before you are approaching the problem wrong. You could replace all of the hardware and still get blue screens because of problems with your memory or a problem driver. Run the memory test first and then report back here. If the memory test passes then you will have to isolate which driver is causing the problem.
!