Sign in with
Your question

New MOBO old HDD WIN 7 ult. 64. Can I repair / recover?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2012 11:48:13 PM

OK.. New Motherboard, Old HDD with Win 7 ultimate 64 bit, and all my software, and files I don't want to lose, is there any way I can repair or reclaim my hard drive? I know this question has been asked before, but no matter where I scavenge the internets for info on this, it seems to be 50/50. Some say yes, and it's easy, some say yes, but blah blah blah difficult, some say no impossible, you have to do a reformat clean install. What say you community? I needs help. As i speak I am looking at my repair window process, that says this may take several minutes, and now 20 minutes later.. no repair.

Let me add, the MOBO came with a disk, no i have not run it or tried to install anything from it. the board is ASUS P8 H67-M PRO. the pc is HPE-410y came with windows premium installed, BUT!!! I bought and upgraded to Win7 Ultimate right out of the box, have disk etc.

help :( 

More about : mobo hdd win ult repair recover

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 3:18:45 AM

I recently had a motherboard problem and had to take it out and make a decision , I had been thinking about upgrading but wasn't at the point of doing it yet so this MB problem sort of forced my hand and I didn't want to put another MB to match the cpu I had and then a few months down the road do the upgrade so I decided to go with the upgrade.
The upgrade was a new MB and cpu , ram and video cards. I had SSD'S and those weren't upgraded but I hadn't saved my files so I wasn't quite ready. I did the upgrade and connected the SSD's with the OS and got freezes and bsod's but I kept restarting and eventually got it to load into windows where I deleted the old MB drivers and data and loaded the new MB drivers and it's still working and I'm not sure if I need to reload windows.
Sorry for the long reply but I wanted to explain what my experience was and to let you know that the first BSOD doesn't mean it won't work and you can keep at it and it eventually will come around.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 3:24:08 AM

In your case if your keeping the same cpu then all you have to do is delete the chipset drivers and software that goes with the old MB and shut down. Then make the switch and restart when Windows loads you can then load the chipset drivers and software for the new MB and you should have an easier time then I did.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 4:51:44 PM

inzone said:
In your case if your keeping the same cpu then all you have to do is delete the chipset drivers and software that goes with the old MB and shut down. Then make the switch and restart when Windows loads you can then load the chipset drivers and software for the new MB and you should have an easier time then I did.

Hi inzone, thank you for your reply. I switched from AMD, to Intel. from phenom IIx6 to i73770. The MOBO is ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM. The bios interface for the board is great, I can navigate the MOBO disc with all these drivers for the chipset, software, etc, but i can't get it to execute the installation of them, just browse to their location on the CD.

I run windows repair from HDD (fail). I run windows from boot disc (fail) but with the boot disc I can navigate to the MOBO disc and to the drivers etc. but once again, I can't get it to execute instillation. Also when booting from disc, running repair, there is a drivers button.. that's what allows the browsing to the MOBO disc with drivers, but I can navigate some of my hard drive, and see the files with the old AMD drivers. edit: I just deleted the old drivers AMD and ATI.

INFO: OEM windows 7 premium (upgraded to WIN7 ultimate x64 via disc)

I appreciate anything you can throw my way to help.
m
l
October 2, 2012 5:01:34 PM

O.K well I am browsing the MOBO CD with all drivers etc. Windows repair is asking me to open a setup information file to install drivers, but there are a 100 of them, not literally but there are a lot, with all different types of IDE sata drives and ports, and Holy COW.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 5:13:12 PM

Yes when you load the chipset drivers there are a lot of them and you don't realize that there are that many , most you never hear about but are needed. I didn't know you were changing platforms , so that will be more diffacult. If you have a usb stick or secondary drive to store files maybe you can get the files and data that you want to keep of the main drive and then format. I think that the more you keep at it the more Windows will accept the change. I went through numerous BSOD screens and freezes and the reason I kept at it was because it did make the attempt to load and that gave me some encouragemet to keep going and I figured that worst case I wouild just have to give in and reload.
m
l
October 2, 2012 5:21:51 PM

inzone said:
Yes when you load the chipset drivers there are a lot of them and you don't realize that there are that many , most you never hear about but are needed. I didn't know you were changing platforms , so that will be more diffacult. If you have a usb stick or secondary drive to store files maybe you can get the files and data that you want to keep of the main drive and then format. I think that the more you keep at it the more Windows will accept the change. I went through numerous BSOD screens and freezes and the reason I kept at it was because it did make the attempt to load and that gave me some encouragemet to keep going and I figured that worst case I wouild just have to give in and reload.

Well it would be awesome to get the HDD to work without a format... just to much software to reinstall. But yes, number 1 concern is saving photos, music, and movies. HP does have a back up software that it allows to run, but I'd have to burn all the data to disc, and it's 90G's... Ughhh. I am gonna keep cracking at this. I am gonna get this sucker to work one way or another. *hope anyway*

thanks for your input!
m
l
October 2, 2012 5:37:16 PM

Get a new drive and install OS on it. Boot computer with only new disk installed. Install drivers, set bios etc. Then once machine boots reliably shut it down, plug in old drive. Hopefully the machine won't try to boot from the old drive. Then you can access all your files on the old drive and move or copy them through windows.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 5:48:13 PM

This might be a long round about way of doing something but if you had a second hard drive you could load windows on and the try and take files and photos from the first drive and store them some place , that could be a solution.
Also you could load Linux OS onto a usb stick and run that and grab you files , I have found the Linux OS to be very usefull in certian circumstances and it totaly ignors Windows rules and you an do a lot of things that you normally wouldn't be able to do with working inside of the Windows OS.
m
l
October 3, 2012 5:12:54 PM

There is a "something" out there to fix this. By "something" I mean a patch, or an application of some sort, I went to a local hole in the wall tech shop, this kid threw in some sort of patch or application, that booted my windows, in a rough shape, almost like a safe mode, but not safe mode, enough to run the MOBO disc, and install all the drivers, and also run a LAN connection to DL all the drivers and updates. Then I had to go home and update some of the drivers myself, and reauthorize some programs mainly Adobe Photoshop since the new MOBO voided my license etc.

Other than that, machine is up and running great! WOW what a life saver!
m
l
!