Internet problems due to UPS power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshdance

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Over the last several months my internet connection (via a cable modem) has been very flaky, and will go in and out several times a day. After trying several things, I realized that the problem seemed to begin near the time I got a new Cyber Power 850AVR UPS. On a whim I decided to plug the hardware including modem and router into the wall via a regular power strip. After doing that this morning, today was the first day I have had no disconnects in several weeks. It's a small sample size, but assuming it continues as is, I will have to reach the conclusion that the UPS was the issue. Note that the cable line was not being run through the UPS, only the power--the cable line was plugged directly into the modem from the wall. Also, as my power rarely if ever goes out, these issues were happening daily when the power was on as normal.

* Have you ever heard of this type of thing happening before?
* If the UPS was the problem, what can I do to ensure when I get a UPS that this does not happen again?
* I have read articles on this site about sine wave UPS output. Even if the output is more "clean" with these types of UPS devices, isn't this only an issue when running on battery power?

Reactions: johngti

joshdance

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Initially everything was hooked up through the UPS, including the cable line, and it was bad. Then I removed the cable line and plugged straight into the modem, and it got better, but still the problems were there and intermittent. But in the last 24 hours now, not one problem after I have removed the UPS altogether.

Why would running the cable line through the UPS make it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS