madchemist83

Distinguished
Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: somewhere around Xmas

Budget Range: 1000 max with shipping taxes and after rebates ( prefer no rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, Photoshop, CAD, minor video editing etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse,DVD, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com ( for the reason of no taxes), newegg.com, microcenter

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: best bang for a buck

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 for now .. later on next year 1080p+

Additional Comments:
will pick up i5-2500k + mobo(some Z68) @ microcenter unless can find better deal
need OS
would like PC on the quiet side

Thank you

Well the i5 and Z68 are definitely good choices. I would also definitely get 8GB of RAM. May not be that useful in gaming but great for everything else and it's cheap. For your GPU i would recommend a GTX 560Ti because they are good value and do great at 1080P. With SLI/Crossfire i would only do it if you plan to buy the second card relatively soon as in 6 months or maybe a year max.

Heres a good build at that budget.

i5-2500k
ASRock Z68 PRO3
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
MSI Twin FrozrII/OC GTX 560Ti
Corsair CX-500
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Samsung DVD Burner
Coolermaster Storm Scout
Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Total is just shy of $900 on Newegg and it should be pretty quiet with decent gaming performance. If you need an OS get that with the remaining $100. If you don't need one though i would recommend a Crucial M4 64GB SSD.

madchemist83

Distinguished
The Antec fans cafe three settings and actually top 140mm one is pretty silent at full speed also I got one front fan from Cougar pretty quiet and can pull up to 115 CFM.
i guess u r right ... I'm not planning on SLi but it's just a mobo quality I'm going for and unfortunately the ones with one pci r lower quality.
BTW let me know if u like any other choice here ... http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294935235&
also they give 40$ off CPU - mobo combo but only if mobo is Z68
so i'm going for http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364085 - 120$ and 110$ after MIR
I think pretty good deal

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Not trying to be a troll or anything, but I would get something like this is for $1K:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.720329

I realize this is slightly over your budget, but I think if you have the time to look around to buy the parts separately or swap for slightly cheaper components, you can get something along those lines for $1k.

I don't think I would have many complaints with a computer of this caliber.

madchemist83

Distinguished
Thanks for suggestion but ...
- I'm not a fan of Phenom .. i5-2500k is way better
- case looks atrocious .. and i'm not a LAN-party guy .. I have a kid :D
- 2gb 6950 is not necessary for me as I'm not running high resolution or multiple monitor set up .. also if u look at the reviews there is no difference between 1Gb and 2Gb at lower resolution
-the HDD is pretty crappy
And to finish it off .. mobo has 3-Way CF/Sli and that PSu will not be able to drag it

so plenty of complaints

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ah I see. Well it was just an idea to build of off, I personally agree with you on every point you brought up. haha

- Maybe you're not a fan of Phenom... but possibly Bulldozer? 8-core FX T~T
- Case is more functional than fashionable.
- GPU really is overkill LOL
- HDD should definitely be switched, for an SSD + something else.
- After looking at the PSU once more, I realized it wasn't even modular. wtf?

But from another's perspective,

- Flagship AMD CPU
- Flagship ASUS AM3+ MOBO
- near Flagship RADEON GPU
- near Flagship Corsair RAM
- ANTEC Case is unique, something different and functional.
- ANTEC PSU will support that single GPU which is more than enough for most people, so no need for 2/3-way SLI/CrossfireX atm anyway

madchemist83

Distinguished