$1k rig

Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: somewhere around Xmas

Budget Range: 1000 max with shipping taxes and after rebates ( prefer no rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, Photoshop, CAD, minor video editing etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse,DVD, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com ( for the reason of no taxes), newegg.com, microcenter

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: best bang for a buck

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 for now .. later on next year 1080p+

Additional Comments:
will pick up i5-2500k + mobo(some Z68) @ microcenter unless can find better deal
need OS
would like PC on the quiet side

Thank you
24 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Well the i5 and Z68 are definitely good choices. I would also definitely get 8GB of RAM. May not be that useful in gaming but great for everything else and it's cheap. For your GPU i would recommend a GTX 560Ti because they are good value and do great at 1080P. With SLI/Crossfire i would only do it if you plan to buy the second card relatively soon as in 6 months or maybe a year max.

Heres a good build at that budget.

i5-2500k
    ASRock Z68 PRO3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
    MSI Twin FrozrII/OC GTX 560Ti
    Corsair CX-500
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    Samsung DVD Burner
    Coolermaster Storm Scout
    Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Total is just shy of $900 on Newegg and it should be pretty quiet with decent gaming performance. If you need an OS get that with the remaining $100. If you don't need one though i would recommend a Crucial M4 64GB SSD.
  2. Why not HD6950 1Gb?
  3. That's pretty much the AMD equivalent of the GTX 560Ti so yeah that would work too.
  4. Also that case ... i didn't hear good things about it
  5. Really? I've never heard anything bad about it to be honest. Decent cooling and relatively quiet.
  6. hm ok
    I think I'll go for Antec 300
    now I put together rig on 3 diff websites and I got 1005$
    any idea where to bring the price down ...
    I got PSu for 120$ (750W)
  7. Best way to bring the price down would be to give up on SLI and Crossfire. They make for a noisy computer. I can't see the Antec 300 being very quiet either unless you replace the fans with some fractal or Noctua ones maybe.
  8. The Antec fans cafe three settings and actually top 140mm one is pretty silent at full speed also I got one front fan from Cougar pretty quiet and can pull up to 115 CFM.
    i guess u r right ... I'm not planning on SLi but it's just a mobo quality I'm going for and unfortunately the ones with one pci r lower quality.
    BTW let me know if u like any other choice here ... http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294935235&
    also they give 40$ off CPU - mobo combo but only if mobo is Z68
    so i'm going for http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364085 - 120$ and 110$ after MIR
    I think pretty good deal
  9. Anyone else???
  10. Bulldozer is your best bet.

I read that Six Core BDs will cost no more than $160.
  11. what???
    but will the performance be up to par? I guess I still have time .. I'll just wait and see the bench :D
  12. I am waiting for the benchs too... Its expected that their highest end processor the FX 8150 will be priced at $266
  13. But how long are we looking at? It's been coming out for months allready
  14. Not trying to be a troll or anything, but I would get something like this is for $1K:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.720329

I realize this is slightly over your budget, but I think if you have the time to look around to buy the parts separately or swap for slightly cheaper components, you can get something along those lines for $1k.

I don't think I would have many complaints with a computer of this caliber.
  15. Thanks for suggestion but ...
    - I'm not a fan of Phenom .. i5-2500k is way better
    - case looks atrocious .. and i'm not a LAN-party guy .. I have a kid :D
    - 2gb 6950 is not necessary for me as I'm not running high resolution or multiple monitor set up .. also if u look at the reviews there is no difference between 1Gb and 2Gb at lower resolution
    -the HDD is pretty crappy
    And to finish it off .. mobo has 3-Way CF/Sli and that PSu will not be able to drag it

so plenty of complaints
  16. Ah I see. Well it was just an idea to build of off, I personally agree with you on every point you brought up. haha

- Maybe you're not a fan of Phenom... but possibly Bulldozer? 8-core FX T~T
    - Case is more functional than fashionable.
    - GPU really is overkill LOL
    - HDD should definitely be switched, for an SSD + something else.
    - After looking at the PSU once more, I realized it wasn't even modular. wtf?

But from another's perspective,

- Flagship AMD CPU
    - Flagship ASUS AM3+ MOBO
    - near Flagship RADEON GPU
    - near Flagship Corsair RAM
    - ANTEC Case is unique, something different and functional.
    - ANTEC PSU will support that single GPU which is more than enough for most people, so no need for 2/3-way SLI/CrossfireX atm anyway
  17. Ok so here is what I came up with so far (all prices with taxes and shipping):

Newegg - http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/TemporaryWishList.aspx?BundleExist=N&ChangeQty=0
    $80.19

Amazon
    PSU - FSP Aurum 600W
    GPU - ASUS 560Ti
    HDD - Samsung F3
    Cooler - CM Hyper 212+
    Case - Antec 300
    $495.82

Microcenter
    CPU - i5-2500k
    MoBo - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364085
    $324.73

Fry's

OS - http://www.frys.com/product/6028088
    $86.59

Total - $987.33
  18. what do u think people?
  19. will you be adding more fans to the 300 or are there already enough cooling for 1 graphics card
  20. and will you mod the 300?
  21. I will probably add one front fan. Also I'm debating between 300 Illusion and HAF 912 .. also considering BitFenix
  22. My vote goes to HAF 912.
  23. If I can catch it on amazon for 49.99 im going with it .. the only problem it's to tall for my desk and I might have to remove a drawer
  24. most cases are chosen on people opinions so whatever you like and works for you is what you should get
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems