Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - release: September 26

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641732p1.html

"Slated for a September 26 release on PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox,
GameCube, and PC, this latest collection of oldies but goodies combines a
slew of coin-op standards along with some beloved console favorites from
developer Digital Eclipse/GameStar.

Gamers who yearn for simpler times can dig into Midway's library of games
with hits (and a few misses) including Badlands, Hydro Thunder, Off Road
Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, Race Drivin', San Francisco Rush The Rock:
Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, S.T.U.N. Runner, and Super Off
Road & Bonus Tracks Pack.

While Super Off Road and Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, aren't among
the best in the pack, Hydro Thunder, Race Drivin', San Francisco Rush The
Rock: Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, and S.T.U.N. Runner are all
worthy arcade racing experinces that were great in their time. The games do
look old, but the gameplay is still rocksolid stuff.

For gamers who love to collect old games and enthusiasts with a love for
driving arcade-style racers, Midway Arcade Treasures 3 is right up your
alley. Watch for it to hit retail shelves on September 26 for PS2, Xbox,
GameCube, and PC."

<Highlander> wrote in news:wLOdnXfM1OwhfGLfRVn-qA@comcast.com:

> http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641732p1.html
>
> "Slated for a September 26 release on PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox,
> GameCube, and PC, this latest collection of oldies but goodies
> combines a slew of coin-op standards along with some beloved console
> favorites from developer Digital Eclipse/GameStar.
>
> Gamers who yearn for simpler times can dig into Midway's library of
> games with hits (and a few misses) including Badlands, Hydro Thunder,
> Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, Race Drivin', San Francisco
> Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, S.T.U.N.
> Runner, and Super Off Road & Bonus Tracks Pack.
>
> While Super Off Road and Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, aren't
> among the best in the pack, Hydro Thunder, Race Drivin', San Francisco
> Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, and S.T.U.N.
> Runner are all worthy arcade racing experinces that were great in
> their time. The games do look old, but the gameplay is still rocksolid
> stuff.
>
> For gamers who love to collect old games and enthusiasts with a love
> for driving arcade-style racers, Midway Arcade Treasures 3 is right up
> your alley. Watch for it to hit retail shelves on September 26 for
> PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and PC."

I've been keeping an eye on this title for quite some time. Sad part is,
while the oldies like Stun Runner and Super Off-Road are emulated, the
more recent stuff like Rush and Hydro Thunder are ports.

Now, I'm not saying I expected Rush 2049 to be emulated, emulating the
graphics core would be quite the chore. BUT, what I did expect is the 3D
code to be re-written to processor specific code for the 'cube, PS2, and
XB.

I'm just hoping they don't screw around with the physics of the game
which I am currently going for the Twin Galaxies world record in. It
would be nice to get a bit of practice in at home before going into the
arcade to videotape my action.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:28:45 -0500, <Highlander> spewed forth these words of
wisdom:

>http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641732p1.html
>
>"Slated for a September 26 release on PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox,
>GameCube, and PC, this latest collection of oldies but goodies combines a
>slew of coin-op standards along with some beloved console favorites from
>developer Digital Eclipse/GameStar.
>
>Gamers who yearn for simpler times can dig into Midway's library of games
>with hits (and a few misses) including Badlands, Hydro Thunder, Off Road
>Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, Race Drivin', San Francisco Rush The Rock:
>Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, S.T.U.N. Runner, and Super Off
>Road & Bonus Tracks Pack.
>
>While Super Off Road and Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears, aren't among
>the best in the pack, Hydro Thunder, Race Drivin', San Francisco Rush The
>Rock: Alcatraz Edition, San Francisco Rush 2049, and S.T.U.N. Runner are all
>worthy arcade racing experinces that were great in their time. The games do
>look old, but the gameplay is still rocksolid stuff.
>
>For gamers who love to collect old games and enthusiasts with a love for
>driving arcade-style racers, Midway Arcade Treasures 3 is right up your
>alley. Watch for it to hit retail shelves on September 26 for PS2, Xbox,
>GameCube, and PC."

I'm buying this just for Hydro Thunder and the Rush series.

Galley

knight37 wrote:

> Wow, they are really dipping into the bottom of the barrel to pull out
> Treasures 3, aren't they? I got Midway Treasures 1 and it's a worthy
> title, and I'm thinking about buying 2, but this one has almost nothing
> worthwhile. Rush 2049 is about the only thing I'd be remotely
> interested in, and it's not like I don't have a ton of racers on my PS2
> and Xbox already that are far superior.

OMG....you're *really* going to sit there and tell us that the "wonderful"
games on MATv1 are worthy as compared to today's games...but that the
stuff on MATv3 isn't? Yeah...Paperboy and 720....those are
PS2/Xbox-quality titles alright...

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"I loves me kitty"

"syvyn11" <robhorine711@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> Trust me, Hydro-Thunder and the Rush series have gameplay out the wasoo.

I did mention Rush 2049 as being the one worthwhile game on there. I have
Hydro-Thunder on my Dreamcast and frankly it wasn't all that great.
Amusing for a few hours, I guess. I never really liked the "normal" SF
Rush, but the 2049 one was fun.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> > OMG....you're *really* going to sit there and tell us that the "wonderful"
> > games on MATv1 are worthy as compared to today's games...but that the
> > stuff on MATv3 isn't? Yeah...Paperboy and 720....those are
> > PS2/Xbox-quality titles alright...
>
> Its all about the GAMEPLAY Baybeeee. The games on the Treasures 1
> compilation have that. In spades. Treasures 3 is just a bunch of "also
> ran" racing games, a dime a dozen. For me Spy Hunter never gets old,
> neither does Joust or Smash TV. Those are timeless classics. But most
> of the junk on the announced Treasures 3 it just dipping into the
> barrel and coming up with slop.

Well, I'd definitely agree with you on Smash TV, but imo that's the *only* game
on the entire disc worth playing(I got it free when I ordered The Suffering off
GameStop.com...and I *still* feel this way). ;) This compilation offers up a
lot of solid, arcade-style gameplay though...you just have to work for it
sometimes. Being that they are all arcade games, and designed to take your
money, you really don't have that much time to really get into them at the
arcade(you're too busy just trying to make the next check point so you can play
for another 10 seconds). Hydro Thunder(DC), SF Rush(N64) and Arctic
Thunder(Xbox) really helped me see this. With unlimited "credits" and time to
play around, there's a lot of solid gameplay in these things...once you get a
chance to try them out. :)

> I mean, yeah, you could just download MAME and a bunch of roms. But I
> like being able to play Treasures 1 on my PS2, besides I got it for
> $10, that's about $0.50 a game. I can live with that.
>
> Knight37

MAME is for those who don't mind playing games on a monitor...at a desk(yuck)
or are lucky enough to have laptops that hook up to TV's(used to be me, until I
sold the iBook)...it's not bad, but like you, I enjoy popping the discs into
the Xbox and being able to sit back and enjoy the games with no issues, and a
good controller.

Bel
--

Jordan wrote:

> The Namco 50th Anniversary Pack looks pretty cool too... I think that's
> due out this month...
>
> - Jordan

50th????????/ Have we been playing video games for 50 years?