Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Looking for a decent case <$150

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2011 11:37:35 PM

Hello all,
I am building a new gaming rig and I want a decent case. I know I could buy any old case and I'd basically be fine, but I'd like some opinions on a well ventilated, well designed case.

I am open to any brand, but I would like to stay under $150 US and Mid or full towers are both fine!

Thanks in advance!!

More about : decent case 150

a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2011 11:58:32 PM

NZXT Phantom
NZXT H2 (available in black or white)
Fractal Design Define R3 (available in different colors)
Score
December 20, 2011 12:22:39 AM

Corsair Carbide 500r for 120ish

panel to hide cables in, plenty of room even for the longest video cards and tons of extra fan space and water cooling compatible. I will never need to buy another case.
Score
Related resources
December 20, 2011 1:16:58 AM

whatsthatnoise said:
NZXT Phantom
NZXT H2 (available in black or white)
Fractal Design Define R3 (available in different colors)

From other posts I have read about this case, most have said one thing consistently "~This case has similar features and quality of one half the price." That definitely has me concerned and I am attempting to find something 'worth every penny' -- while I know that is based on opinion, I am hoping someone will post some viable facts about airflow, etc.

Also @Welve, I'll look into it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2011 4:23:04 AM

nunyaabidniss said:
From other posts I have read about this case, most have said one thing consistently "~This case has similar features and quality of one half the price." That definitely has me concerned and I am attempting to find something 'worth every penny' -- while I know that is based on opinion, I am hoping someone will post some viable facts about airflow, etc.

Also @Welve, I'll look into it.

CM 690 II Advanced $89.99 - CM just updated this case to contain usb 3.0 front ports. It's one of the few cases sub-150 that supports it. It also comes with a painted interior, dust filters, good wire management and a tool-less design. It's also large enough to support the largest gpus on the market as well as a Noctua NH-d14 HSF, which is impressive for a mid-tower It's unparalleled at it's price bracket and while it's not going to win any thermal design awards, it does hold its own.

When I did last years build I studied tons and tons of cases. I spent weeks watching one video review after another and reading every article I could on cases. It came down to that one or the one I ended up buying the Lancool K62. In the end I liked the window the k62 offered over the bump in gpu cooling the 690II offered. If I had to choose today however the updated usb ports would win me over.

Score

Best solution

December 20, 2011 5:12:44 AM

get a silverstone case I have the raven 2 E it has amazing cooling and was chosen as best case by toms a while back. It was easy to work with and an all around great case
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Steel-Computer-Window...

The raven 02 e is slightly over your budget though you could drop to the raven 03 which is slightly smaller for 144 http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Extended-90-Degree-Mo...

and look at the fans on those cases there massive and quiet :p 

The advantage silverstone has over all other cases is 90 degree mobo mounting so basically the mo board is turned so all ports are on the top of the case.
What does this mean for you?
Easier to access ports and much better cooling as it cools by bringing in air through bottom and out through the top and since heat rises the cooling is much more efficient. You may be better off getting a 50 dollar case whatever is on sale like this http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...
then you could spend the money save on better graphics card ect. but its up to you. But I do think that if your spending $100+ on a case your best bet is silverstone. Btw it pretty much has all the features of any other high end case too ex. panel to hide cables behind
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2011 5:39:29 AM

icantw82makeadatum said:
get a silverstone case I have the raven 2 E ...

This is actually the case I have pending on my new build. The price as you noted was outside the OPs specs however =(
Score
December 20, 2011 5:52:01 AM

the raven 03 is in the budget though so I was saying the 03 is in his budget and if he wants to shell out the extra $28 he could get the 02 e From my experience w/ the 02e its a great case and I would highly recommend the only thing it dont care for about it is you have to snap off the top each time you want to change the fanspeed
Score
December 20, 2011 6:43:50 AM

The advantage silverstone has over all other cases is 90 degree mobo mounting so basically the mo board is turned so all ports are on the top of the case.
Score
December 29, 2011 11:50:56 PM

Best answer selected by nunyaabidniss.
Score
December 29, 2011 11:53:00 PM

Thanks all! After getting your responses I took a good look at the Raven cases and actually ended blowing my own budget by getting the Raven 02.

Again, thank you all for your help!!
Score
!