USB 3.0, Wireless Card, and a Sound Card but only one PCI-E slot

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Ok so when I was building my computer I didn't think about how many slots my computer really needed, in retro spec it really doesn't need more then it has now, but I find myself in a pickle because it doesn't.

First I have to ask is it even possible to put USB 3.0 in a computer with a motherboard that does not have it already? If the answer is no then well we kinda fixed that problem except I still do need a new USB card so that my computer recognizes my Madcatz SF4 TE stick.

Next is the wireless card, I don't yet know if this is worth it or not, my router is on the floor below and to the left of me and my signal is quite spastic. I was hoping maybe a wireless card vs a USB dongle would be better, but I'm running a G signal so it might not help at all.

The sound card is another thing I would like to add because my on board one does not have an optical port which wouldn't have been an issue till I started using my turtle beach headset on my PC.

So as you can see with only one PCI-E slot this seems to be impossible, but I figured I'd ask if theres some kind of work around I can employ.

For reference here is my mobo
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-VS/?cat=Specifications

There is a choice that you will have to make between the sound card and a usb3.0 addon card. Because you have one Pci-e x1 slot that you can use for either one. The network card is also an issue with there being one x1 slot.
You have 2 usb headers on the motherboard to add more usb 2.0 ports so that's not an issue and a good wireless usb stick should work. However with the signal being spastic why don't you connect the router to the computer with a network cable?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815196044

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119169

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hmm your right I glanced right over that, In reality I want USB 3.0 because it was new, but I only own one device that uses it so far so its not a deal breaker, for USB 2.0 though you make an excellent point the only issue is I need to make sure the USB will work with my fight stick aka one that uses UHCI, refer to this post for what I mean

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/madcatz-ps3-te-fightstick-pc-xp-vista-win7-32-64bit-read-1st-post.56258/

The sound card looks good, but the wireless card could help to maybe? I'm using wireless the same reason I everyone uses wireless, my router isn't anywhere near my computer. I have though of using some kind of alternative (Ethernet over power, Repeater,etc), but never knew if it would work/was worth it vs a card.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I was using wireless dongles in the back (USB2) of my two old large, heavy ATX cases, and the signal was poor or non-existent.

According to the manuals, you cannot use a USB extension, I thought that I'd nothing to lose, and it works great.

I raised the dongles above my desk (the higher the better,) and it tripled the signal, (Excellent most of the time).

I hope this helps.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Funny you would mention that mine actually did come with an extension, which I totally bummed to use for something else LOL, maybe I can try that. Let's work on the assumption it doesn't for now, but I will try that and update you guys.

You can run an ethernet cable for 100' and not loose signal , In the second floor of my house at the very end of it the bedroom was terrible for wireless so I ran an ethernet cable the whole way and now it works fine , the total distance is 80' and no repeater or special cable was used.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

This would work great if A.) I owned the house, and B.) I was any good at running wire.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Ok update, I tried using the USB extension, didn't help same bars and spastic mbps for some reason. If I wired the PS3 in theory I could switch to N and maybe get a better signal, but that's like almost a $100 chance if you add the router+the dongles (at least two)

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Try moving the router about, get it higher if you can. Mine was in an alcove, so the signal was initially passing through a fireplace and then a wall.

On my initial set-up I got no signal at all, but then they build with a lot of metal here (Spain.)

Is your signal being swamped by a more powerful one? Moving the transmitter and receiver about can help with this too.

It took me a couple of days experimenting with various positions to get it 'right.'

I hope this helps.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Unfortunately I can't move it much infact we already have it move to more of the middle of the house instead of the side, sadly there are very few cable outlets in our house and of course non of which are in my room -_-. I can try stacking stuff under it a little, but I doubt it will help much sadly.

Me personally can care less what it looks like as long as it works, my mom on the other hand... yea.