Can't Mount Heatsync/Cooler

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have built several AMD systems in the past, many using the stock cooler. This last build has me stumped. I put my Phenom II X4 980 processor in a new Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board and cannot get the stock cooler to latch. No matter which side I try to hook first, I cannot get the opposite side to extend low enough to hook under the nub. I have put way more downward pressure against the hooks than probably is wise. To no avail.

The processor is fully/properly seated in the socket (no bent pins), and its locking lever closes and locks easily, so I'm sure the processor isn't the issue. And, yes, I'm starting with the cooler's lever in the released position. The nubs on the bracket don't look any different than previous ones. Has anyone else had this experience? AMD didn't change something in the cooler bracket specs when they went to the AM3+ socket, did they? I know the bracket is two-piece now, but that shouldn't make any difference...

Btw, this is the first time I've tried to use the stock cooler that came with that processor. I've used my XIGMATEK LOKI cooler in the past. I wanted to try out the stock cooler and get some temp readings for comparison and check noise differences.

beenthere

Distinguished
The AM3+ socket mounting is the same. The OE HSF does have a pretty heavy mounting pressure some times and can be intimidating but it should latch for you. Some times you need to slide the bracket toward the unlatched side while pushing down so that there is enough bend possible to get low enough to latch.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I'd like to think that was it. But the metal piece passing thru the cooler is a hefty steel channel in an open V-shape, thicker in the center. Smaller AMD HSFs don't have that massive a bar. I put the HSF on the table and tried to get it to spring, and couldn't. There is almost no spring to the piece at all. Definetly not enough to hook the nubs. I pressed so hard trying to hook the 2nd latch, I was afraid I'd break a solder trace on the board. Had I been able to get the latch to hook, I'm sure the locking lever would have put way more force on the cpu than was safe.

I've put together several Athlon IIs and lesser Phenom IIs and never had any problem like this. Usually I could hook both sides loosely. And had to actually hold the latches against the nubs so they wouldn't slide off as I moved the locking lever into position. There should be no reason I would need to push down with all my strength just to slip the latches under the nubs.