Problem with old motherboard (no boot)

jackleblack

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hello everyone,
First of all, first post, so bear with me, I'm new around here, so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you :).

Specs of the desktop:
*CPU: AMD Sempron (can't remember the model, something like 2800+ or 3400+)
*MOBO: MSI K8N Neo3
*1 GB DDR1
*GPU: Nvidia N210
*PSU: Corsair VX450W
I recently ran into a problem with my one of my old computers (one of the first I actually built myself), and a friend of mine advised me to ask here, because neither him or myself know what is wrong. About a year ago, the GPU on this desktop fried due to a faulty fan (Nvidia 6600 GT AGP), so I put it down in the basement until I got around to repair it / get a new GPU. I finally decided to get a cheap GPU so that I can give the PC to my friend to use as a media center to watch movies, etc...
I bought a Nvidia N210 PCI-E from a local store, but after installing it and booting the PC, the Nvidia nForce 4 chipset (according to the manual) was emitting a really loud rattling noise and there was no video feed. I immediately shut down the PC, and tried to investigate the cause of the noise, but couldn't find anything. I restarted the PC, and it started to do the noise again. I thought it was coming from the fan, so I unplugged it for a brief moment and plugged it back in, which seemed to fix the noise issue, but that haven't fixed my computer not showing anything on screen. The motherboard would start with all the fans spinning, but no video feed.

My initial reaction, it's the video card, but it's brand new. I installing it in my new desktop and it worked just fine. I then checked the compatibility, and according to this source it is compatible.
Then I thought it might be the PSU that's too weak, so I installed the PSU from my main rig (850 W Corsair), still nothing.
I can't test the RAM, because good luck finding DDR1 compatible mobos to try it on, and the CPU, for the same reason.
I cannot verify if it even gets past POST, because there is no beep speaker on the motherboard. There is one in the case, but it never seemed to work (or maybe I just never noticed it). As far as I know, it should beep once if it boots properly and it never did that.
I also took the motherboard out of the case and tried to run it with only the video card (no integrated card) on a flat desk, still nothing.

Overall, I am out of ideas what can I try, and if there is something I can do to see what is my problem here, or is it just that the motherboard / CPU are dead.

Thank you

TLDR:
After installing a new GPU on an old motherboard, doesn't boot because no video feed. GPU and PSU are fine, so it has to be RAM / CPU / Mobo, but not sure what to test and how.

jackleblack

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Hey,
Thanks for the reply, but doesn't it work like USB? If you plug a USB 2 device on USB1, it still works, but at lower speeds.

jackleblack

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Hey,
Unfortunately I tried that, but I still can't get a video feed on my screen :( ...