Sign in with
Your question

Who thinks Tomshardware has gone downhill

Last response: in Forum Feedback
April 30, 2009 8:24:15 PM

I,m sure most will agree that missing drop down boxs , cluttered front pages , tons of adds have brought this site down a few notches from its good ole days where it was a very very popular site to go to ,
Not that its not , but really its too cluttered..

Thoughts/Comments ?
May 1, 2009 6:20:41 PM

As I've mentioned in the comments section, I'm trying to get the ToC added to every page--which would actually be MORE efficient than the drop-down boxes. Also would like to get avatars back in the comments section. Thanks for your patience!
May 1, 2009 9:17:06 PM

Please put back the 'New Topic' one click link which displays all new posts for all categories with one click. What better way to monitor a large foum like this than with a single click which shows all new posts for the ENTIRE forum. That New Topics feature had been available for the previous three years I have been here. Please put it back!
Related resources
May 1, 2009 9:20:08 PM

I've been here a long time using the new Topics feature as a solution to monitoring the new activity on this forum. Now I am lost trying to keep up with this forum. The new fromat sucks to put it kindly. I guess if you are a programmer who has spent little time here, you can really screw a web site up pretty well.
May 1, 2009 10:52:20 PM

I very much like many of the new changes.

I especially like that articles now have a full index rather than the drop-down index. That thing is hell to work on my little work laptop.

I like the new tools in the forum. I especially like seeing all my current threads with new posts at once.

As I am usually helping 12 or more people at once, keeping track of them and jumping straight from one to the other has really helped.

As far as Badge goes, you should listen to his complaint ;) 

I don't share it, but Badge should be assisted as much as possible. He's one of those folks that keep people coming to TH.
May 1, 2009 11:00:07 PM

Yeah, but the topic is who thinks tomhardwares has gone downhill. I replied to that. So, can you explain how you monitor the forum? I would appreciate your help Proximon.

What do you mean you like seeing all your current new threads with new posts at once? If someone posts to a thread I am tracking, I get an email. Simple enough. Why do I have t see them all at once? Check this. I always simply clicked on 'New Topics' from the Forum Homepage. By clicking that 'new topics' button, ALL of the NEW POST from the 'ENTIRE' forum (all topics inclusive) showed up!!! I simply cleared the feature, left and when I came back...I missed nothing NEW on the ENTIRE forum. Duh. That is no longer available. Bring back the one click 'NEW TOPICS" for the entire forum back! I do not like the new forum format. Like I said, it's cluttered and seems to be programmed by a person(s) who has never used it much.
May 1, 2009 11:01:18 PM

Proximon...please explain how you monitor the ENTIRE forum without clicking on each individual section and reading through everything posted there of course. Thanks.
May 1, 2009 11:08:26 PM

Here is what I have done for the past years while browsing Tom's forums. I can no longer do this.

1.Before logging off during a session CLEAR 'New Topics' for the ENTIRE forum.

2. Come back say hours later. Log on.

3. Simply click one time 'NEW TOPICS'. Every new topic posted on the ENTIRE forum while I was away is INSTANTLY displayed. LOL!

4. Peruse everything new on the ENTIRE forum with that one click. Reply or adda comment to those I am interested in. Simply clear 'new topics for the entire forum when I log off. Done.

5. Check email for notifications of threads I have previously replied to.

May 1, 2009 11:33:16 PM

I never wanted to do that... simply too much for me to handle. I live in the Homebuilt section and if that's slow I jump into the other hardware sections. I like that if I stray into say the XP section and help someone, I don't have to remember later that I did so... if there is a reply I get it, on my little (new) thread screen.

I do see what you are saying, and I agree it must be very much needed... just not for me :) 

When I want to help someone new I pick a forum and pick a thread with 0 replies, then move on to the next. Never a shortage.

While you can sometimes learn a great deal reading various threads, I prefer to get most of my reading done through articles and news. I always have lots of reading to do between here, Anandtech, [H], JonnyGuru, Legion Hardware, etc...

I don't want to fill up my e-mail :p  I have a brand new addy and I get like 2 e-mails a week on it, LOL.
May 1, 2009 11:46:50 PM

Listen to this. I do not use a single, not one, of the features offered on the Forum with the new format. Not a single one! LMAO. I just click on the headings, like MB and MEM or XP or CPU or CARS for example. Then look at the clodded, crowded non comprehensible mess of that category. LOL! DUH, let's see...I want to wade through ALL of the CPU section, then ALL/EVERYTHING over at Graphics...dumb man. Click, click, click...click...click...click, click...

Before, I could click on 'New TOPICS' and every new thread in every section on the ENTIRE forum was instantly displayed. I could even 'refresh' the page and while logged on could continusly monitor every new thred created at the click of a single button. So...now the best I could monitor 'new threads' is ONE CATEGORY AT A TIME. LOL!

Log on to CPU forum. Stay there and refresh watching for 'New Topics' Log off. Log on to MB & MEM forum. Stay there and refresh all night watching for new posts on that single category.

BEFORE:

Log on. Click 'New Topics'. Monitor EVERY new thread created for EVERY section of the ENTIRE forum! LOL!

I asked Justin and He said the new programmers in France discarded the 'New Threads' option to monitor the ENTIRE forum because it took up too much resources. Justin offered me to contact someone in France. I would like to contact France and explain, but I think they would have no clue as to what I am saying. The new 'guys' in France obviously have never used this Forum and have no clue of the inner workings. Anyway, I think the 'new' forum is lame. Thanks Proximan.

Maybe I'll hijack an entire section of this place and make it mine.
May 1, 2009 11:55:29 PM

For a while they had that option where you could find all unanswered threads... that was pretty nice.
May 1, 2009 11:59:02 PM

I thought All Unanswered threads was still available at each individual category of the Forum? Like I said, I do not use a single, solitary feature of this forum. Not one. I was thinking, if I wanted to monitor say for example CPU's, Video, Windows, MB's and MEM all at the same time...I could open a new browser for each section and just keep refreshing it looking for new threads in each category. Before, I could montor the ENTIRE forum for new threads with the 'New Topics' button. How good is that?

EDIT: My messed up typos.
May 2, 2009 12:02:26 AM

It was some sort of "S.O.S." button that lived in the profile box for a bit. Worked for the whole forum as I recall.
May 2, 2009 12:04:12 AM

I've noticed the forum software does seem to handle multiple windows well.
May 2, 2009 12:04:52 AM

Here's a no brainer.

Supply a one click option/button titled 'New Threads'. Click it and every new thread posted for the entire Forum is displayed. Clear option for reset of a display of all new threads for the entire forums from that point. (The Forum has had this option since I have been here. It was called 'New Topics' not New threads.)
May 2, 2009 12:06:37 AM

I'll give the use of multiple open browsers used to monitor multiple Forum categories a try. I doubt the method is very convenient.
July 6, 2009 12:34:07 PM

So....now without warning or any explanation, we change the the ratings system for the forum. Ridiculous. Cannot think of a better way to alienate the longest time forum residents. Downhill? The forums started on a downhill slide 3 years ago. Since that time, nearly every change made has been a step in the wrong direction I think.
Used to love this place, the forum, the articles, the entire site.
However, seldom these days do I ever read or pay any attention to anything on the main pages, too much clutter, too many ads, and the layout is simply an eyesore. I still come to the forums and breeze over them just to kill time, and see if anything interesting is cooking. But these days it's just same old "my computer won't turn on, I am an idiot" boring type of stuff.
July 6, 2009 12:44:06 PM

I am now a Scout .... wtf ???

What does that mean Chris ??

Jeez guys ... I thought it was Fredi ... sorry Fredi.

Do I :

1. Go back to the Inquirer and Drool over Sylvie?

2. Go to Anandtech and risk clicking over to Dailytech all of the time and wasting precious time reading their dumbed down drivel for a few gems from Anand.

3. Persevere here and hope that you don't let the uber twins do too many reviews (and I use the term review lightly) and get used to the sands of time getting whipped into a storm on a regular basis.

4. Try and help Charlie move SemiAccurate up from a blog site.

5. Crawl back into a hole with the other rednecks.
July 6, 2009 1:17:51 PM

If it was not bad enough idea in the first place, it looks like someone asked their 10 year old to come with the names for the rankings.
This goes beyond a bad idea, it is simply insulting.
July 6, 2009 2:37:29 PM

Call me Tonto ?? and I'll call you Pancho ??

My 10 year old would have used animal names oh just in time...

frog
mouse
cat
dog

Actually the old system wasn't too bad and simply could have bee compressed a bit for us and a new category created for wusy and crashman.

July 6, 2009 4:05:33 PM

jitpublisher said:
If it was not bad enough idea in the first place, it looks like someone asked their 10 year old to come with the names for the rankings.
This goes beyond a bad idea, it is simply insulting.

jt, if you know a stable hardware discussion board that is not under bad management and heading for mediocrity at best, please PM me. Thanks.
July 6, 2009 10:58:18 PM

Haha, wow WTF I'm a Tom's Wannabe. Anandtech?
July 7, 2009 12:16:35 AM

Yea the old system had some huge post count requirements.
July 7, 2009 12:29:21 AM

The new system requires 150,000 for Tom's Master. I guess that's points. But, you get points taken away for something, not sure what. You have 1545. A thousand times that measly number gives you something to shoot for.
July 7, 2009 12:31:38 AM

Bring back the one click for ALL new topics displayed from all forums simultaneously. I know. It takes too much system resources to have such a thing. What?
July 7, 2009 12:35:29 AM

So what is the new requirements?

As stated above almost everyone posting was a stranger but at least we could see who was who.
I think I can say that people that have been here longer received a bit more help than the strangers if only because we knew that they would come back and respond.
There isnt much more of an insult that going through the time and trouble to do some research and post a detailed reply and then wonder if the original poster ever came back to even read it.
Now with everyone with the exception of a few being wannabes or newbies it doesnt seem to worth the time.

At least I know many of the regulars and can decide for myself.

EDIT. I just looked and see that I have 349 points.
What the hell is that?
I had around 1000 posts under this identity (lost my password) before this change.

Techsupportforum?
July 11, 2009 12:42:57 AM

Quote:
"Bring back the one click for ALL new topics displayed from all forums simultaneously"

Second that.
I am quite sure the forums are getting (a lot?) fewer comments without such options that lets us save time (free up time to reply to even more posts).
July 11, 2009 12:51:37 AM

The rank titles are embarassing.

Am I a "Tom's wannabe"? My god.
Wonder what that does to the credibility of the site to newcomers whom might not know about its reputation. Not a good idea to annoy or embarrass people. Humor surely can be dangerous sometimes...

Even if the missing "show all new topics" might be impossible to add before a system upgrade reintroduces it, at least the ranking titles should be fairly easy to adjust. Could ask the community to suggest improvements, for example. Good if people really like the titles, and why not simply let us take part in the formulations?
July 13, 2009 5:17:36 AM

How am I a newbie? What's with the ranks? I've seens members with 80 posts and 200 points. Are the points like the ones in yahoo answers? Cause those suck. I hate Tom's new crap, if I go to tom's now I get stuck in a BIG FAT AD with a HUGE pic of a dell insperon laptop. When I finally get to the forums the new discussion/ask the community thing is in MY FACE! I used to be able to scout around tom's forums (no pun intended) without the new system getting in my way. And since when did we get autism??

Are we kids that need "Ask the community" instead of "New topic"? I got sick of this new system & when I came back out of boredom I spent 50 seconds trying to find the "New Topic" button.

Should we just make tomsforums.freeforums.org and stop this nosense?

Tom's is seriously going downhill - FAST.

The new system is in a nutshell:
  • For retards
  • Bandwith Eater
  • Glossy buttons that hurt your eyes
  • Big fat ad's with dell's that make me want to throw up
  • A new topic "management system" that is clumsy
  • Cartooney buttons that resemble the XP control panel (ugh)

Come on Tommy you can do better, like you did 2 years ago.

Sigh
    Anonymous
    July 13, 2009 12:35:06 PM

I've just looked at Wireless Networking where I normally post a few times a week. Seem to be more than the usual number of unanswered posts.

I guess others have decided that if Bestofmedia are going to insult us we'll stop working for Bestofmedia for free.

In any case, if I'm now a Newbie, what do I know about anything ?
    July 14, 2009 1:02:40 PM

Cheers.

July 15, 2009 6:43:19 PM

jitpublisher said:
    So....now without warning or any explanation, we change the the ratings system for the forum. Ridiculous. Cannot think of a better way to alienate the longest time forum residents. Downhill? The forums started on a downhill slide 3 years ago. Since that time, nearly every change made has been a step in the wrong direction I think.
    Used to love this place, the forum, the articles, the entire site.
    However, seldom these days do I ever read or pay any attention to anything on the main pages, too much clutter, too many ads, and the layout is simply an eyesore. I still come to the forums and breeze over them just to kill time, and see if anything interesting is cooking. But these days it's just same old "my computer won't turn on, I am an idiot" boring type of stuff.

+1 Very well put.

I also completely skip the front page and go directly to the forum to see what noob is in need of my help. I go to other sites for informative, well written articles/reviews. I used to be able to come to Toms for this information, but not any more. :( 
    July 15, 2009 9:45:22 PM

I think Tom and Don still do a solid reliable article, and occasionally another write or two. But we lost 3 good writers in a short hurry, and that really hurt Toms
    July 16, 2009 9:35:35 PM

For me, I only noticed the site going downhill when toms games was replaced by cheap flash games. I miss Ben and Rob. Even though I didn't always agree, their videos were amusing. Crysis Jackassery was classic and seemed so awesome at the time.

Anyway the good old days are gone, and they ain't coming back :D . Things change, but I don't think in the case of tomshardware that those changes were for the best. I probably wouldn't come here if I could keep myself away from the forums :D .
    July 17, 2009 1:40:10 AM

Reynod said:
    Actually the old system wasn't too bad and simply could have bee compressed a bit for us and a new category created for wusy and crashman.

That would've been nice... :wahoo:  [/food for thoughts]
    Too bad my glory days are long over, 'wusy' now slumbers in a peaceful undisturbed death, and I no longer have the energy as I did as a kid to chase all that glory back. I get more kicks just out of pure knowledge now.

Reynod said:
    I am now a Scout .... wtf ???

What does that mean Chris ??

Jeez guys ... I thought it was Fredi ... sorry Fredi.

Do I :

1. Go back to the Inquirer and Drool over Sylvie?

2. Go to Anandtech and risk clicking over to Dailytech all of the time and wasting precious time reading their dumbed down drivel for a few gems from Anand.

3. Persevere here and hope that you don't let the uber twins do too many reviews (and I use the term review lightly) and get used to the sands of time getting whipped into a storm on a regular basis.

4. Try and help Charlie move SemiAccurate up from a blog site.

5. Crawl back into a hole with the other rednecks.

WOW, hard choices there!
    (Seriously, I can't pick one :lol: )
    July 17, 2009 1:43:08 AM

randomizer said:
    Yea the old system had some huge post count requirements.

You weren't posting hard enough! :kaola:  j/k

tbh tho, I still have no idea how I managed to rack up >32k worth of posts over the period of 6yrs.
    July 17, 2009 1:59:24 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
    I think Tom and Don still do a solid reliable article, and occasionally another write or two. But we lost 3 good writers in a short hurry, and that really hurt Toms

Having known them both for many years since 2002 I can vouch for that. Still the best two editors for Motherboard(Crashman) and Graphics Card(Cleeve) from THG. The new French guys are a joke, I HATE reading blogging-like comments from them. So much unprofessional journalism, non-technical in depth knowledge of hardware hence their uninformed/wannabee-like conclusions.
    And the old THG crew like Patrick and Achim doing the CPU reviews just can't keep up with the tech and trends, too set-in-stone. Can't think laterally.
    July 17, 2009 6:42:35 AM

megamanx00 said:
    For me, I only noticed the site going downhill when toms games was replaced by cheap flash games. I miss Ben and Rob. Even though I didn't always agree, their videos were amusing. Crysis Jackassery was classic and seemed so awesome at the time.

Tom's Games wasn't very popular, despite popular belief (that sounded odd).
    July 17, 2009 7:12:41 AM

Its them again making asus's out of themselves. Even tho lots of people liked it, they polled it amongst themselves (all 2 of em), and it wasnt popular
    July 18, 2009 11:40:34 PM

This was in a book "Peter Norton's Complete Guide to Linux", 1999). If a well respected author mentioned toms now days they'll be LOLed at probably. If you want to know why I ended up reading this, it was because I wanted to get my feet wet(er) with shell commands/scripts. And yes, I run openSUSE/openSolaris/Fedora. No Ubantu for me.

July 19, 2009 9:21:53 AM

Don W seems to be a decent reviewer here ... comments?
    July 19, 2009 10:11:07 AM

Thats Cleeve, and hes probably 1 of the 2 best
    July 24, 2009 11:02:19 AM

On 2nd thought, I actually still recognise Patrick Schmid and Achim Roos being the best pair in storage articles. The commercial/business/large-scale side of it that is.
    They used to produce good server processors/platform articles too, until they didn't keep up with the evolving nature of it (e.g. benchmarks used).

And get rid of whoever "Jeff Deifi" is. Most of the regulars I've come to recognise in the Storage forum can write better articles than him.

[EDITED]Reading comments in the "Reader's Voice: Building Your Own File Server" by Jeff Deifi made me realise the author actually has decent knowledge of the topic. But in his article none of that knowledge was present, instead replaced with vagueness.
    July 24, 2009 4:18:03 PM

Yea, wholy Shmid is good, as is Achim, but it does depend. Ive seen them off mark here n there
    July 27, 2009 2:28:09 PM

What'd happen if all the THG community decide to write articles for free?
    July 27, 2009 3:04:26 PM

Only if they included your artwork? heheh
    July 30, 2009 12:15:02 PM

My vanity tells me it's a good idea.
    July 30, 2009 12:18:54 PM

No, I already include it.
    August 1, 2009 12:51:57 PM

You already write for free here ...

!