Bluetooth and battery life

Last response: in Technologies
Share
July 8, 2004 3:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.

If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?

TIA
--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

More about : bluetooth battery life

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:53:52 PM

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?
>
> TIA
> --
> Slartibartfast
> To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

I tried leaving on and off but didn't notice any difference so I leave mine
on 24/7 now.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:14:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?

On my T68i if I leave Bluetooth turned on it reduces standby time by about
25%. But as that simply means it drops from ~8 days to ~6 days then that is
not much of an issue. But there is the reported risk of Bluejacking so in
some respects it's better to turn it off if not needed.

I don't have a headset but I do sync with Bluetooth. I have a shortcut to
the Bluetooth options and simply set the phone to "discoverable" for three
minutes when I want to sync and that suits perfectly.
July 8, 2004 5:20:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?
>
> TIA
> --
> Slartibartfast
> To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

BT does allegedly drain batteries faster. However I had a T68i and left it
on all the time without problems and my V600 has it on all the time and I
get at least 3 days use before battery drops. So on that basis it is not a
problem.

Try leaving it on and see how you get on.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <ccj8dp$gr9$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk>,
"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote:

> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?

Yes, and yes
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:49:23 PM

Slartibartfast wrote:
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?
>
> TIA
It depends how you define ON.

There are obviously a few extra modes apart from *connected* where the radio will be used.

Actively looking for devices (inquiring) and Actively trying to connect to a particlar
device (paging) will use some radio power but a phone should never really do this apart
from the first time you pair a set of devices.

After your devices have been paired you should rarely do any inquiring.

listening for other searching devices (inquiry scanning) is sometimes referred to as
discoverable.

To save power should turn this off.

listening for other devices trying to connect (page scanning) is sometimes referred to as
connectable.

This should remain on if you wish to connect to your paired devices quickly.

So to recap, if you have paired your devices and they are unconnected but remain
connectable the radio is doing very little.

A good implementation of bluetooth device will put the tranceiver circuits into sleep
during the time slots where it is not used. The rest of the Bluetooth chip will use
interrupts to sense data being thrown at it so the only thing running is the chip and some
oscillators

compare this to your colour LCD screen, your GSM radio circuits and your polyphonic
ringtone system, the bluetooth power consumption is pretty much negligable.

i've noticed No decrease in battery life, even on my older phone with degraded battery.

HTH

Rob Shepherd
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 8:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?

My V600 BT is on all the time,and last a week or more before I charge it, my
T39 has a 1 day battery life if BT is on, however I think the 2 systems are
slighty different hence the better connectivity of the eric.>
> TIA
> --
> Slartibartfast
> To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

July 10, 2004 12:54:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

The brilliant blue flashing searchlight is annoying at night
though isnt it!

> On my T68i if I leave Bluetooth turned on it reduces standby time by about
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 11:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Yes, it will drain your battery faster. You won't get nothing for free...
Bernd
"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?
>
> TIA
> --
> Slartibartfast
> To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly easily.
>
> If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it make
> sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery quicker?
>
> TIA

Yes, it will drain the battery faster but only but a few percent.
What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course,
but I'd far rather be happy than right any day.

--
D.
Anonymous

"Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly
easily.

> > If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it
make
> > sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery
quicker?

> > TIA
> >
> Yes, it will drain the battery faster but only but a few percent.
> What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of
course,
> but I'd far rather be happy than right any day.
>
> --
> D.

I have a V525 and a Jabra BT 200 headset. If I leave Bluetooth on then I
get little more than 2 working days use out of the phone. If I turn on
Bluetooth and use the headset only when I want to, then its almost 4 days.

I'm not sure why the difference is so large, but the V525 seems to stay
permanently connected to the headset. My old Ericsson T68i seemed to
suspend the connection between calls and only connect when a call came in -
which also made it easier to tell when the phone was ringing as the phone
actually rang. With my V525/BT200 combination the headset rings - the phone
does not - and I occasionally miss calls.

Jeremy.
July 21, 2004 2:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> I'm not sure why the difference is so large, but ...

Hello. I am new to BT, and currently shopping for my first Bluetooth
Wireless Headset.
I noticed for your headset it says things like the following...

"Jabra Bluetooth is the popular wireless solution for talking handsfree on
your Non-Bluetooth cell phone! "

"Jabra BT-200/ BT200 FreeSpeak Bluetooth Wireless Headset adds Bluetooth
audio to most cell phone models not factory equipped with Bluetooth
capability!"

Maybe your headset is not taking full advantage of "Bluetooth" since it is
designed for "Non-Bluetooth" devices? Again, I don't know. Just a guess of
course.

HTH
Dana

"Jeremy Pope" <news@invotec.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Slartibartfast" <slarti@celynnen.FJORDSdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > On my Motorola v525 I can turn my Bluetooth link on and off fairly
> easily.
> > >
> > > If I know I'm not going to be using it for a couple of days, would it
> make
> > > sense to turn it off? If I keep it on, will it drain the battery
> quicker?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > Yes, it will drain the battery faster but only but a few percent.
> > What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of
> course,
> > but I'd far rather be happy than right any day.
> >
> > --
> > D.
> >

> I have a V525 and a Jabra BT 200 headset. If I leave Bluetooth on then I
> get little more than 2 working days use out of the phone. If I turn on
> Bluetooth and use the headset only when I want to, then its almost 4 days.
>
> I'm not sure why the difference is so large, but the V525 seems to stay
> permanently connected to the headset. My old Ericsson T68i seemed to
> suspend the connection between calls and only connect when a call came
in -
> which also made it easier to tell when the phone was ringing as the phone
> actually rang. With my V525/BT200 combination the headset rings - the
phone
> does not - and I occasionally miss calls.
>
> Jeremy.

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:48:17 AM

"Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure why the difference is so large, but ...
>
> Hello. I am new to BT, and currently shopping for my first Bluetooth
> Wireless Headset.
> I noticed for your headset it says things like the following...
>
> "Jabra Bluetooth is the popular wireless solution for talking handsfree on
> your Non-Bluetooth cell phone! "
>
> "Jabra BT-200/ BT200 FreeSpeak Bluetooth Wireless Headset adds Bluetooth
> audio to most cell phone models not factory equipped with Bluetooth
> capability!"
>
> Maybe your headset is not taking full advantage of "Bluetooth" since it is
> designed for "Non-Bluetooth" devices? Again, I don't know. Just a guess
of
> course.
>
> HTH
> Dana

I think you're referring to an optional extra that Jabra provide for
non-Bluetooth enabled phones. Exactly the same headset is used, but an
adaptor plugs into the non-Bluetooth phone's headset socket. This adaptor
is allows the headset to use Bluetooth to act as a wireless headset.

Jabra have been in the headset market for many years back to the old days
when you had no choice but to use a cable to connect a phone to a headset!
The device you refer to is another of their innovations.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1544.htm

So, no, its ability to communicate with non-Bluetooth phones is a bonus to a
very capable Bluetooth headset that works with just about every Bluetooth
enabled phone that I know of.

Jeremy.
!