asylumdance

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Greetings,

I am currently using an asus sabertooth 99fx mobo, and am looking to swipe a new gpu to complete my new build. So far I'm leaning towards the new gtx 660. I'm wondering if my mobo will support the 2 gb of ddr5 that the gpu is equipped with. I've searched the mobo manual and a few sites and am coming up short on answers. Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers

Solution
I don't see why it wouldn't. Your new GTX 660 has 2GB of VRAM, which any motherboard would support. I don't see why it wouldn't since it's part of the GPU. System RAM is another story and totally different, being limited to the slots but how much system RAM you choose to put in it is up to you. Hope this helps. =)

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I don't see why it wouldn't. Your new GTX 660 has 2GB of VRAM, which any motherboard would support. I don't see why it wouldn't since it's part of the GPU. System RAM is another story and totally different, being limited to the slots but how much system RAM you choose to put in it is up to you. Hope this helps. =)

Solution

asylumdance

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

My question boils down to: will a PCIe 2.0 slot on my mobo support a PCIe 3.0 card with ddr5 vram?

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
You didn't waste my time. I'm just listing to music, bored off my ass and waiting until I get tired enough to go to bed. Ha ha, I come on here when I'm bored. So your not wasting my time. =)