Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are these parts compatible?

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2011 10:13:43 PM

I am building a PC from scratch for the first time and was wondering if all of these parts are compatible. I am trying to build something that I will be able to upgrade and use for at lest 5 years and still be a very good system. I intend to use this PC to run 3DS MAX, MAYA, Much of the Adobe CS4, some game level editors, mainly the UT3 Editor, and of course gaming. If you notice any parts that you think need upgrading or are just plain bad please tell me, but I am right at my budget right now. Thanks for the help.

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2130 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32130

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Video Card: GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N56GSO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKA3-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Cooler Master RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W Power Supply

More about : parts compatible

September 19, 2011 5:15:26 AM

I would recommend getting ram that supports XMP wich this kit does not. I would also highly recommend buying an i5 over a i3. lower the MB to move some cash to the CPU. there is absolutely no need for a 200$MB paired with an i3. do not buy the super clocked video card, buy the standard card and OC it your self if you want it faster. that will save you some cash right there. on a MB note, the only reason to buy a very high end MB is if you intend to OC alot. you can easily buy a MB around 120 that will perform just as well as this one with standard use and or mild OC
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2011 12:12:36 PM

Agree about putting less money into the motherboard and more into the CPU.

The PSU that is bundled with that case, is the eXtreme Power Plus 700W. The eXtreme Power Plus series is not one of Cooler Master's good range of power supplies.

So I'd recommend getting the case by itself and buying a PSU separately that will be high quality.
Cooler Master Storm Scout $90 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series 630W RG630-S12 80Plus $60
OR
Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 80Plus Bronze $64
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2011 1:40:41 PM

Im sure i've seen this build posted before....

Feedback is the same as above though, spend half as much on the motherboard, (if your looking for future upgrade ability, almost certainly go for ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard), bump that processor up to an i5-2400 or even i5-2500k (yes 'K' - for the sake of $10 its madness to eliminate the possibility of overclocking by going with a standard i5-2500).

GPU - ATI 6870 would probably be one of the best mid-range options, and you can always cheaply add another card later on if its ever required. (it also out-performs the 560 as far as I know so at $50 cheaper, is well worth it).

Sapphire 6870 - $150 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

560 vs 6870: http://www.hwcompare.com/11005/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeo...
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:44:11 PM

considering the 3d rendering and media he will be using in addition to gaming i cant recommend ati. i would suggest he stick with the nvidia as their cuda is much more supported than ati stream. defiantly buy the K cpu, short of living in another country aside from the US its a minimal price jump for alot less headache if you ever want to oc it. im partial to MSI MB's myself but thats neither here nor there, just buyers preference.
m
l
September 20, 2011 5:42:38 PM

Thanks for the info, I will defiantly change the power supply and look at getting another video card and overclocking it myself, tho I am a bit nervous about doing that myself.

But I am a bit confused that people are telling me to get a cheaper MB and a better CPU. What I have been told is that for the most part dual core will work just as well as quad core because not much is programmed to use all 4 cores, and that I should just be looking at the clock speed. Is this wrong?

Also I was buying a higher end MB because I wanted to be able to upgrade this for a long time. I was just buying an i3 CPU because they were the cheapest that would work with my M. I figured in a bout a year or so I would get an i7 or and i5. Should I still be looking at another MB if I intend to underage like this and have the MB for at lest 5 years, hopeful more?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2011 6:06:04 PM

cbauer00010010 said:
What I have been told is that for the most part dual core will work just as well as quad core because not much is programmed to use all 4 cores, and that I should just be looking at the clock speed. Is this wrong?

This is true for gaming, but you are doing more than just gaming and some of the tasks you have planned do need strong multicore CPUs.
m
l
September 20, 2011 6:07:18 PM

you dont need to oc a video card at all if you dont want to but the option is there and there are countless tools to allow you to do this. just remember when OCing to take small steps.

what you have been told is wrong. 4 or 5 years ago perhaps that statement would hold more water but not now. to start with windows is able to manage your cores so it can throw programs that can only use a single core to use your 3rd core while other programs use your first core and your os can use another. most things are at least dual threaded now but alot are quad threaded. programs like adobe cs4 or 5, 3d max, crysis, deus ex, the new cs:s game coming out, BF3, they are all capable of using 4 cores. a dual core is just not a future proof purchase. in addition if you can afford it a 2500k cpu has an unlocked multiplier and thus is very easy to OC.

you are missing a concept here with the MB. you are looking at a 200+ dollar MB, this has no advantages for someone who is nto going to be overclocking heavily and trying to squeeze out every ounce of performance. a 120.00 Z68 chipset MB will have no discernible performance deference over a 220.00 z68 board. all you can say is you paid more for it. my MB cost me 360.00 and it was worth while for me as i was doing heavy OC with full liquid cooling. if i was not waning to do this crazy OC i would have no need for a MB that expensive and a 130.00MB would not provide me any boost or drop in performance.

you can get a 2400 or 2500k i5 and run that for a few years before you would need to upgrade. in my opinion with what you are trying to do the i3 is just not a good bang for your buck chip. the i5's are and the K edition doubly so.
m
l
September 20, 2011 6:09:10 PM

you really need to think about multi tasking, running a game, a web browser, voip, a movie, the other processes you have running, alt tabbing to load another game or a cheat page. all that will run smooth under a quad core. NOT under a dual core as there is just not enough cpu cycles to go around. none of these CPU's have HT so i wont get into how that effects things.
m
l
September 27, 2011 5:33:08 PM

Best answer selected by cbauer00010010.
m
l
!