A Mini-ITX build for my parents

balanovich

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Hi,

my parents need a new computer. They want something small. So I went with a Mini ITX board and case. I'm not very familiar with that range of PC components.
I want to build a computer that will last more than 10 years like the previous one. It doesn't need to be powerful but I want to buy the best quality.

I live in Canada and these are Canadian prices.

I'm keeping a standard 500Watt power supply from a previous build.

CPU:
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz

Motherboard:
ASUS P8H61-I (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX

RAM:
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

DVD burner:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Hard drive:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Case:
LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower

This is the only computer case I found that could use regular PC components.

If the onboard GPU isn't enought to play 720p and 1080p videos,I'll through in my old 8600GTS. I would like to avoid doing this because my parents might want to have a TV tuner so that i can plug in a regular TV antenna.

It sums up to $458.82 with taxes and shipping.

So what do think?
Is this a long lasting build ?

Thank you

JustLiveYourLife

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Any build can be long lasting if you take care of it.

And that case is pretty overpriced (and ugly) for your build. I would get this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112 not to much bigger then that one. And us the $70 savings to get a

Replace your ram with 8gbs of gskill ram for $46
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HD(replacing the other one you have, only $10 more)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=spinpoint%20f3

Then use the remaining $40 to order pizza.

Or you could just replace the case with the one i suggested and use the $70 to buy a core i5 2400 quad core cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

Oops...didnt read that part about canada pricing..so disregard this. But you should still get the HD

balanovich

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Regarding cases

JustLiveYourLi's is a microATX and not a Mini ITX, but maybe we'll go for something bigger than mini ITX.

aznshinobi: I already have a PSU. I prefer using a normal ATX PSU because they are easier to repare and replace. I'd also have to go with a silm optical reader/burner.

I found the same case for less and no shipping at Canada direct.

I changed my hard drive for this one :
Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AARS 750GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

I noticed something troublesome. My motherboard as a HDMI port, a DVI and a D_sub port.... but in the specs it says no onboard video chipset. And when I looked at it, I didn't see any heatsink that could be covering a video chipset... i don't get it.

JustLiveYourLife

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Then yea, i guess you'll have to go with that case. But with a budget pc having a case that cost more then almost every other part, is kind of a waste of money, considering you could get way better components in the case.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

If you want to stay with a WD disk, best change it to a Blue or Black one. The Green is great for storage, but as for running OS and applications off of, it is not that great due to the lower spindle speed.

As to graphics, there is no video chipset on the board as you get that with the processor. The i3 2100 you have chosen has Intel HD Graphics 2000 integrated in the chip.

lp231

Splendid

WD Green drives produces less heat than 7200 rpm counterparts which is ideal for a m-itx build due to its
tight space. I've got a few WD Green drives for my system and they're aren't that slow as people think they are.
During benchmark, yes you see a difference, but in real world use, you'll not notice a thing.
Not sure about now, but WD Green had their RPM called Intelliseek and it runs from 5400rpm to 7200 at heavy loads.
Seagate runs at a faster speed of 5900RPM.

@OP
You may want to grab a itx board with more features like wifi
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157239

ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX: $141

Rosewill Mini ITX Computer Case: $70

Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB: $50

DVD Optical & RAMs: $60

Throw in a 60GB SSD for your OS/Apps and you are in for around $400CAN.

It just so happens that there is 1 13/16 inches of clear space underneath the 3.5-inch drive bay giving you enough room to mount the SSD.

I modded the case by attaching a cut-down drive bay in the clear space below - that's where I mounted my HDD & SSD. This allowed me to place a card reader with eSATA/USB in the 3.5-inch external drive bay.

I also attached an 80mm fan -- fit nicely on the case side frame rail.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Look at the PC-Q11 and PC-Q07 cases too. They are both Lian-Li, both mini-ITX but a little bit smaller than the PC-Q08 and a little less money too. If you don't need all the HDD space, they'd make a good alternative. They'll still take a normal PSU, HDD and ODD.

balanovich

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
This is not a budget build.
My parents just don't need a lot of power, that's all.
All I need is something that will last 10 years. Wich is why I took an Asus motherboard instead of an ASrock. Wich is why I'm getting 4Gb of Mushkin Ram instead of 8 from Gskill. Same thing for the HD, I don't need 1 TB 500Gb is enough... and and I read bad things about samsung.

This is also why I'm trying to have a build that uses regular components so it's easier (and faster )for me to change or repare them.

My mother doesn't want WiFi and all those ''nasty waves'' .... it's irrational but it's her money.

I will check the PC-Q11 and PC-Q07, thanks.

I had forgotten about AMD APU's ... I will check with benchmarks, but it is an interesting option. thanks.

Thank you for your help and keep it comming.

ervinelim

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
What I don't get is why you would get a case that small. I doubt you have space issues in your house and a bigger case would mean better air flow which would equal to longer lifespans to all your components. It's also cheaper.

Also, +1 to the APUs.