Bluetooth CTP implementations ?

Last response: in Technologies
July 8, 2004 9:29:31 AM

Hi

I want to use the Bluetooth Cordless Telephony Profile
(CTP) as a replacement for DECT.

The only implementations of CTP I have seen are software
add-ons for high-end PDAs. There are also rumors that
some phones (R520 ?) have had CTP for 2 years but that the
feature is locked due to pressure from mobile operators.

Is anyone aware of GSM phones which support the Cordless
Telephony Profile ?
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:00:27 PM

A. Caspis - typed:
> Hi
>
> I want to use the Bluetooth Cordless Telephony Profile
> (CTP) as a replacement for DECT.
>
> The only implementations of CTP I have seen are software
> add-ons for high-end PDAs. There are also rumors that
> some phones (R520 ?) have had CTP for 2 years but that the
> feature is locked due to pressure from mobile operators.
>
> Is anyone aware of GSM phones which support the Cordless
> Telephony Profile ?

To answer your question directly - I don't know. However, I've heard
that prototype mobiles which switch to one's landline when in range are
being tested. There is at least one landline solution that uses BT, so
I'd guess it will be a matter of time. Whether or not all landline &
cellular providers will embrace this is a different matter.

I wish BT software was far more flexible, such as allowing new profiles
to be added to an existing BT stack.
--
The map is not the territory
July 17, 2004 4:25:59 PM

Hello,
This is not really what you were asking for, but have you seen this?
http://www1.gnnetcom.com/usa2003/wireless/gn6110/

Alan

"A. Caspis" <a_caspis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want to use the Bluetooth Cordless Telephony Profile
> (CTP) as a replacement for DECT.
>
> The only implementations of CTP I have seen are software
> add-ons for high-end PDAs. There are also rumors that
> some phones (R520 ?) have had CTP for 2 years but that the
> feature is locked due to pressure from mobile operators.
>
> Is anyone aware of GSM phones which support the Cordless
> Telephony Profile ?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 10:56:56 AM

"Alan" <alan@*SPAM*dontstart.screaming.net> wrote:
> This is not really what you were asking for, but have you seen this?
> http://www1.gnnetcom.com/usa2003/wireless/gn6110/

Thanks for the link. This is definitely a step in the right direction,
but I'd rather jump straight to something like this:
http://www.clipcomm.co.kr/eng/e_product/e_product_bs_a1...
and be able to initiate PSTN+VoIP+cellular calls, use caller ID,
access my phonebook etc from a single wireless device.

I cannot imagine why the legacy telco manufacturers are not entering
this market.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 1:44:27 PM

a_caspis@yahoo.com (A. Caspis) wrote in message news:<50950616.0407080429.314079c9@posting.google.com>...
> Hi
>
> I want to use the Bluetooth Cordless Telephony Profile
> (CTP) as a replacement for DECT.
>
> The only implementations of CTP I have seen are software
> add-ons for high-end PDAs. There are also rumors that
> some phones (R520 ?) have had CTP for 2 years but that the
> feature is locked due to pressure from mobile operators.
>
> Is anyone aware of GSM phones which support the Cordless
> Telephony Profile ?

Looks like GSM's with CTP like profiles could be here soon, see the
following links whereby operators are teaming up for cellular services
over Bluetooth from fixed lines..

http://www.vodafone.com/article_with_thumbnail/0,3038,C...

And here's a company offering just offering VOiP with Bluetooth:
http://www.bloophone.com/
!