What to Test on New System?

G0pher_61

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hi Folks, I completed my 1st build last week, with some very helpful advice from a few folks here. Very happy with it so far, but would like to know what (if any) benchmark or test programs it is advisable to run...

I used ATTO to test my SSD and that was great, helped me realize I'd connected it to a SATA II instead of III port. Fixed now...

I've heard of programs like Furmark for testing the video performance & GPU temp. May try that for the heck of it.

I'd also like to ensure the CPU cooling is adequate before getting into any heavy gaming & such... I went bargain on the hs (CM Hyper 212+) for now as I don't foresee getting into overclocking anytime soon. Is there anything you'd recommend I run to check to ensure the hs & fans are enough (and that my hs install job was up to par)? I can simply run a graphics intensive game & exit to Windows from time to time to check on the CPU temp in the "ASROCK Extreme Tuner" utility - or is there a better way to go about it?

Core-i7 2600K
ASROCK Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
16 Mb G.Skill Ripjaws 8.8.8.24
eVGA GTX580
CM Hyper 212+
ASUS DVD rw 24X
Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD
Seagate ST3100 Tb hdd
Don't have a new monitor yet (getting that a month from now) - for the moment still making do with an old CRT limited to 1280X1024.

Thanks!

G0pher_61

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I ran the Prime 95 stress test for over half an hour. Within a few minutes the CPU temp was up to 55C-56C and the mobo 32C, but they stayed there for the duration of the test. Is this good enough?

The 3 case fans are on an external controller. I found that turning them from highest to lowest during the test seemed to cause a difference of only 1C, which suggests to me that the CM Hyper 212+ is managing ok. (Although to be fair there is not that huge an rpm diff between the highest and lowest settings of the case fans).

G0pher_61

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
In addition to the Prime 95 test I ran the Furmark burn-in test @ 1280x1024. In Furmark the GPU temp maxed at 88C - is that too hot? The gpu fan was running at 73%, the case fans were set to max.