Both graphic cards are warming fast

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello,

I have 2 4850 cards in crossfire. Lately, the computer has started to shut down everytime I run a game that needs more than basic graphics.
I have examined both cards, together and alone with OCCT, after cleaning outside dust, and found out that witout regard to the resolution (I even tried 1024X768), both cards (together and alone) reach 120 celsius degrees within one minute, and then the computer shuts itself down.

Is there anything I can do ? Are both cards treatable ?

Thank you,
Oren

Clearly something is wrong with the cooling for it to overheat that fast. Your fans may not be functioning. Or maybe their are clogged with dust bunnies. The HSF's may also have come loose and needs a fresh application of thermal compound.

Perhaps it's just one card, the one with disrupted airflow due to a card below it? If so, the gap could have closed completely due to warping, you could try changing the cards position.

Btw, lower resolution doesn't always reduce load temps, it can sometimes even increase load temps.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I am assuming that it is the first card that is getting heated up
as bystander said it is because there is no gap between the cards, try that card without crossfire, make sure that the fan is running if it stil gets heated up then reset the heatsink and clean it.. this is one reason why i hate SLI and Crossfire..
which is your motherboard? it is better to buy a motherboard which has more spacing between the 2 pcie slots so that they will get some breathing space..keep this in mind when you buy a board next time

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

clean the heatsink and also make sure that the fan is running fine else oil the fan

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
2 more questions bitte:

1. Do you think additional cooling can help?
2. I have PC POWER & COOLING 610W S61EPS and a GIGABYTE X48-DS4 motherboard (considered good when I bought the computer). What can I still buy (and utilize to the max) every graphics card, or am I limited for some of today card series ?

Thank you