Sign in with
Your question

HD6850 suspect cards ????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2011 7:40:21 AM

I had some problems installing this card until i returned it and got a new card which leads me to this question. The card i returned had two 6 pin pci pwr couplings now looking at the forums i have spotted several people having a problem with this card all mention the two pci pwr couplings could this version of the card be bad ? or a mistake since my brand new shiny 6850 has only one 6 pin pwr coupling on the back of the card and is blissful in its new role providing me shiny colours .While the one i returned as i said had two on the top of the card could this board be an older model re vamped and prone to failure ?????????.

So there are really 4 question here 1) are there a batch of 6850 floating around that are older revamped cards .

2) is there any difference between the cards other than pwr consumption ????

3)Could you blow your bright shiny new HD 6850 card by plugging in two pci 6 pin power connectors (obviously the same card would need the same pwr i would think )

4)If you receive a dual pci pwr slotted card should you return it.

And finally of course i could be nuts but You never know I would love an answer well because when they come to charge me for the replacement of my new HD 6850 id love to say hell no the card was a dud .

So if your running a 6850 with two pci power couplings id love to hear from you if you had to return one with two pci pwr couplings on board id love to hear from you or if you have any insight into the difference between the two boards id love to hear from you . I hope maybe there is some food for thought here but maybe i am whistle n dixie

More about : hd6850 suspect cards

a c 142 U Graphics card
July 19, 2011 7:58:37 AM

The 6850 only needs the one 6 pin connector. If you have a PCI-E 2.0/2.1 slot, you technically don't need the external connector to power the card.

The ones with the two connectors are based off the reference design of the 6850, which is a cut down 6870, the 6870 does just barely need the second 6 pin if using a PCI-E 1.0 board. Some manufacturers make versions with the single connector, as the second one is superfluous for the 6850. There is no danger of blowing the card by using two connectors, even if the card doesn't need it. There is no difference in performance or power consumption between these variants.
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:30:06 AM

Supernova1138 said:
The 6850 only needs the one 6 pin connector. If you have a PCI-E 2.0/2.1 slot, you technically don't need the external connector to power the card.

The ones with the two connectors are based off the reference design of the 6850, which is a cut down 6870, the 6870 does just barely need the second 6 pin if using a PCI-E 1.0 board. Some manufacturers make versions with the single connector, as the second one is superfluous for the 6850. There is no danger of blowing the card by using two connectors, even if the card doesn't need it. There is no difference in performance or power consumption between these variants.

Some manufacturers make versions with the single connector Actually im using the same card manufacturer who i guess has used both versions in its line up and im using the 2.0 pci slot but you did not mention if you have heard anything about fail rate on the cut down 6870 versus the non referenced version ,The documentation that comes with and provides two molex too pci pwr cords included in the package indicates you should use both and both pci couplings on the board if i remember from a different post both can draw power .So as a laymen i would think if both are connected the board would draw power from both at the same voltage and wattage producing double the volt and wats needed so every time you started up the card would be hit with double its power and wattage reducing the longevity of the card and possibly causing a blow out on the card but maybe im wrong all i know is the cut down version did not work and the non referenced version did. Id love more info though if you have any.
m
l
Related resources
a c 142 U Graphics card
July 19, 2011 8:53:43 AM

Video cards only pull in the amount of power and voltage that they need, they will not pull extra power or overvolt themselves if there are more power connections than what is strictly required, superfluous power connectors are not going to effect the card's longevity.

I haven't heard anything about failure rates of reference vs. non reference designs. Most of the time the only difference between them is the cooler and sometimes the ports at the back of the card, and in this case, the removal of a superfluous power connector. If you're worried about card longevity, the operating temperature is more likely to be an issue, the cooler the card operates, the longer it lasts, so cards with better coolers and in cases with better airflow tend to last longer.

As for why the reference cards didn't work, I can only guess that both of them were bad, there is no difference between reference and non reference that would cause any sort of compatibility issue.
m
l
July 19, 2011 10:32:34 AM

Thanks for the reply supernova maybe i am just a jinx then lol Though i would say the reference material in the box is a bit shabby with just a list of connectors and not much else obviously if you get a card with two pci power connectors your going to assume you need both adding extra wires into the comp you don't need.
m
l
a c 142 U Graphics card
July 19, 2011 11:13:16 AM

Most cards that do have two connectors actually need both of them if you are using a PCI-E 1.0 motherboard, the 6850 is one of the few exceptions. The manufacturers simply decided not to print a special set of instructions for the reference 6850s that indicates that don't really need the second connector. Manufacturers also tailor instructions to the lowest common denominator in terms of hardware, they write them under the assumption that you are using a PCI-E 1.0 board, probably for the sake of simplicity, so they don't get a deluge of tech support calls about how to tell whether you have PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 or how many power connectors actually need to be hooked up.
m
l
!