Sign in with
Your question

Officially an intel owner but....

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2011 6:18:06 AM

So i FINALLY moved away from AMD processors and GPU's to the wonderful world of INTEL! got myself a 2500k with a gtx 570 and i LOVE IT! But to tell you the truth...i dont see much difference. I game at 1920x1080 and i dont see much difference between my previous x4 955BE + ATI 6870 build and this current one.

Where would i find most difference between the two?

btw the temp diff is amazing! I actually do see a diff there at least.

More about : officially intel owner

a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 20, 2011 6:20:19 AM

try running benchmarks, play crysis, metro 2033.
December 20, 2011 6:27:57 AM

And try with vsync off. Of all your framerates are capped at 60, you'll never see any difference.
Related resources
December 20, 2011 5:27:06 PM

amuffin said:
try running benchmarks, play crysis, metro 2033.

well i already play MW2 and BF3 and i only see a 5-7fps diff. yes its a diff but not a $300-500 more difference you know?
a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 20, 2011 5:37:27 PM

andrey64 said:
well i already play MW2 and BF3 and i only see a 5-7fps diff. yes its a diff but not a $300-500 more difference you know?

well what resolution? Also run some benchmarks such as cinebench, or 3d mark vantage.
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 119 å Intel
December 20, 2011 5:51:09 PM

Also the higher the resolution, the less CPU dependent a game will because the video card must work harder to push the extra pixels.
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2011 9:16:09 PM

Well, what games are you playing? With V-sync on, your FPS probably won't surpass 60. Also, your eyes won't really see any better than 60 frames per second, so keeping that in mind, you may not notice, just notice in years to come when new games arrive that demand more.
December 20, 2011 9:52:07 PM

What you will love eventually, is how well nVidia are at making drivers and keeping them updated.

I've used several ATI gpus in the past, and I must say, that drivers alone will keep me an nVidia fanboi forever.

I'm not trying to start a mudflinging war or troll - the above statement is my humble opinion......maybe not so humble, but whatever :heink: 
a c 119 à CPUs
December 20, 2011 10:30:57 PM

you wont see much of a difference in games especially in demanding 1s like crysis 2 and bf3.
there is a point that you will get similar results regardless of the cpu. the reason is that the higher end quad cores by both companies are strong enough to handle every gfx card out atm... now next year you may start to see a difference when the 7 series arrive but until then you will see similar performance in 90% of newer games.
although you can see a difference in less demanding the titles where the gpu throws to many fps at the cpu because the game was designed for earlier hardware. on call of duty 4 for instance on a mid-high end system, it throws over 300fps at the cpu even on x4 fsaa. amd machines would see the bottleneck a little more pronounced than you would on the latest intels. they both may well have an average of 125 fps but the amd machine would have a much higher variance in the min to max ratio

the sad fact is gaming performance is a pretty level playing field atm as far as cpu performance goes. amd dont do hyperthreading so its often not used at all. even on kit that can use it... and because of this your unlikely to see much of a difference in overall game performance...

heres the good part though... when you transcode a dvd or use your pc to do productivity like photo shop/3ds max. your new machine will out perform the amd in orders of magnitude... often 70% more performance can be gotten from a newer intel chip of the same speed as an amd 1. this is mainly down to dye size. transistor count and cashe size. intel parts are really efficient at doing repetative tasks very quickly which is where amd differs quite a bit due to slower mmu and higher cache latency...

so yeah there is a difference but you have to know what they are to get the benefit from them.
a c 119 à CPUs
December 20, 2011 10:36:14 PM

chriscornell said:
What you will love eventually, is how well nVidia are at making drivers and keeping them updated.

I've used several ATI gpus in the past, and I must say, that drivers alone will keep me an nVidia fanboi forever.

I'm not trying to start a mudflinging war or troll - the above statement is my humble opinion......maybe not so humble, but whatever :heink: 

to be honest m8 i have had multiples of both amd and nvidia gpus. and to me amd of late have done the better job of keeping there drivers up to date... ever since they introduced the 5800 series amd have been on the ball adressing the driver issue...
while nvidia had the lead a couple of years ago. amd have definatly closed the gap and i would say maybe even overtaken nvidia in reliability...

the 1 thing that sticks is that nvidia have released drivers that could potentialy damage there own hardware on more than 1 occasion. not to mention deliberatly blocking physx on systems that have amd as the primary and a cuda core dedicated to physics.. this is not good and really is a stain on an otherwise almost spotless record.
this was the biggest tell tale that nvidia were feeling the heat from amd/ati
December 21, 2011 4:30:49 AM

chriscornell said:

'

this is probably thing ONLY thing that attracted me to Nvidia and will keep me on nvidia from now on because ATI drivers....aren't as we like to call up to par compared to nvidia. i mean they update monthly. my gtx570 just got ANOTHER update which is awesome i love it. In cases such as games having a 955 vs 2500k isn't much diff if my gpu is pulling a good load?

i also run programs like photoshop, lighroom, auto cad, other diff software and also lots of multitasking on internet and what not. So far i dont see much diff between my previous 955. i have seen a diff in decoding and formating things. about 50% gain there.
December 21, 2011 4:36:16 AM

andrey64 said:
So i FINALLY moved away from AMD processors and GPU's to the wonderful world of INTEL! got myself a 2500k with a gtx 570 and i LOVE IT! But to tell you the truth...i dont see much difference. I game at 1920x1080 and i dont see much difference between my previous x4 955BE + ATI 6870 build and this current one.

Where would i find most difference between the two?

btw the temp diff is amazing! I actually do see a diff there at least.

Unless you were wanting to give your x4 955BE to someone, why would you upgrade, with what you already had?

Wasn't that good enough to meet your needs? Maybe only the GPU needed to be updated.
December 21, 2011 2:00:58 PM

Chad Boga said:
Unless you were wanting to give your x4 955BE to someone, why would you upgrade, with what you already had?

Wasn't that good enough to meet your needs? Maybe only the GPU needed to be updated.

i actually did sell it thats why i upgraded and was gunna go with the X6 but so many good reviews with the 2500k. ALso the nvidia card i got because of a good deal.
!