Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a motherboard!!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 2, 2012 9:41:43 PM

Hey everyone.

I'm going to be building myself a desktop in the next few weeks, and I need help choosing a motherboard, but I'm on an incredibly tight budget.

I was originally going to go with the MSI 970A-G46 AM3/AM3+ SLI/CF motherboard, but after doing some reading, I've come to discover that the 970A-G46 may not be the best motherboard to go with...

Link to motherboard: http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67762

I chose this motherboard because it's the cheapest motherboard I can find right now (I live in Canada) that supports my processor AND that supports 2-way SLI/CF, plus having the option to install up to 32GB of DDR3 RAM is also nice :p  I was planning on upgrading to an 1100T in the future, or even an FX-4170, and possibly setting up two graphics cards in SLI/CF mode.

Now, from what I've been reading, the reason why the MSI G46 isn't the best motherboard to go with is because it's basically the G45, but with a bigger heatsink on the VRM? Am I right about that? Apparently A LOT of people had issues with the G45 due to the VRM. Am I right about that as well?

So, my question is:
- Is there a motherboard out there that will support my processor that is around $70 before taxes (or cheaper) that hasn't had any known issues with the VRM, or any of the other components? I would like to be able to upgrade in the future.

My original setup was going to be:
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Quad-Core CPU @ 3.4GHz
- MSI 970A-G46 AM3/AM3+ SLI/CrossFire Motherboard
- ASUS NVIDIA GT 520 1GB GDDR3
- 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333MHz RAM
- 350W PSU

More about : choosing motherboard

October 2, 2012 10:24:23 PM

Okay, I've been looking at possible alternatives to the G46, and I found this: http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=73209 [...] omoid=1360

It's an AM3/AM3+ motherboard that supports two-way SLI/CF that can support my CPU that apparently hasn't had any problems according to this: http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/ [...] ation-list

The VRM apparently doesn't have a heatsink, but according to the chart, it's still a fine motherboard for overclocking and such, and it's not known to have any problems.

I can't find any actual reviews of this motherboard though...

Which motherboard is the better one? The MSI or Gigabyte?
m
l
a c 125 V Motherboard
October 3, 2012 3:29:24 AM

I looked at the gigabyte board and didn't like what I saw. Bare VRMs. Also, a very sparse selection of ports. I prefer the MSI board to the Gigabyte in this case as I haven't heard anything particularly negative about the MSI board.

If you can up your budget to 100 for the MB you can get something much better.
m
l
October 3, 2012 4:05:35 AM

abekl said:
I looked at the gigabyte board and didn't like what I saw. Bare VRMs. Also, a very sparse selection of ports. I prefer the MSI board to the Gigabyte in this case as I haven't heard anything particularly negative about the MSI board.

If you can up your budget to 100 for the MB you can get something much better.

Yeah, the MSI motherboard still seems like the better choice right now, and yes, I do realize I can get something much better for $100, but I just don't have the extra $30-$40 right now, so it looks like the MSI motherboard is what I'm going to be getting (at least right now anyway)

I also like the look of the MS motherboard A LOT more as well. I mean, I know looks isn't everything, but I really don't like the look of the Gigabyte board at all (just my opinion)
m
l
!