Hd 6950 fan boosting during games

Karnyge

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hey guys just been playing a bit of css and noticed the fan on my graphics card as been boosting up to a noisy level for about 2-4 seconds every 50 odd seconds, anyone had this sort of issue before. I should also note, in the past on a few occasions when starting my pc the video card fan will boost up to its max, makes a heck of a racket it usually requires me to restart, doesn't really happen often I wonder if it's related.

Cheers

It's not an issue, it's just the fan cooling off the card so it does not burn your house down. Try cleaning out your case and video card fan/heatsink.

There may be a bios flash for that card also from the vendor, but use that as a last resort because a bad flash will kill your card. Although that is very rare.

Another, more elegant solution is to use MSI Afterburner and create your own fan profile. It sounds like the profile goes from a reasonable fan speed under one temp, and once it hits a bit higher temp, it jumps into high gear. With a fan profile with a couple extra temps and fan speeds setup, you can make it a much smoother transition at the higher temps.

Karnyge

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
thanks for advice, def sounds like its just giving the card a squirt of air to cool it off, just looking at the front fans on my case (antec 1200), looks like the filters need a good clean! lazy much?

Cheers guys.