Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata3 SSD AHCI for Gigabyte UD3R x58a

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2012 1:40:11 AM

Hi All,

I recently bought a Sata3 SSD and cloned my Win 7 installation on IDE to SSD. I have heard of using TRIM and AHCI to help improve performance. I did the settings below. However, when i tried to change the controller to AHCI for the GSata, it gave me the blue screen and restarted without loading windows or attempted to load windows.

When i changed it back to IDE for GSata it is able to load into windows. I have checked and it looks like the 2 HDDs that are connected to the Sata ports are AHCI (preset maybe?).

So my questions are:
1. How do i set AHCI for my GSata SSD and load windows successfully.
2. Is there a way for me to check the ports my HDD and SSD is connected to on the board without opening the case (i understand there might be marvell port connectors as well)?
3. Any other settings or registry to change for enabling AHCI after cloning Win 7 installation from IDE to SSD?

AHCI:
1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one more reboot

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 3, 2012 2:03:02 AM

The problem with IDE and AHCI is that when you load windows on a drive and the sata is set to IDE when you change the sata to AHCI you won't be able to load Windows and the same goes for the reverse.
So the only way to get this to work and not have to reformat is the registry edit.
The other way to do it is to have the sata mode set to AHCI and format and load Windows , you can save all your imortant files , data , pictures and music to another hard drive or disc and load them after formating.
October 3, 2012 9:28:55 AM

So if i do it via the edit registry way to use AHCI, does it mean i do not need to set anything in the BIOS? So i should leave it as IDE? Am i right?
Related resources
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 3, 2012 1:07:08 PM

If you do the registry edit you also want to have the bios set to AHCI. The registry edit is just to get Windows changed to accept the AHCI setting.

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
October 3, 2012 4:29:48 PM

Boot into Windows, click Start and type in regedit and open, go to the following keys and change the following Start values from (3) -> (0):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
Next boot into the BIOS and change all of the SATA from IDE -> AHCI, and Save & Exit = Yes.

Important note, cloning a HDD -> SSD isn't always a good idea, so you need to check that the SSD is in Alignment.

To check alignment click Start and type in msinfo32 and open, go to Components > Storage > Disks and look at the 'Partition Starting Offset' then divide by 4096. If the result is a whole number i.e. not a decimal then your SSD is aligned.

Example:
'Partition Starting Offset' 105,906,176 bytes / 4096 bytes = 25856 (whole number)
October 5, 2012 4:06:15 PM

jaquith said:
Boot into Windows, click Start and type in regedit and open, go to the following keys and change the following Start values from (3) -> (0):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
Next boot into the BIOS and change all of the SATA from IDE -> AHCI, and Save & Exit = Yes.

Important note, cloning a HDD -> SSD isn't always a good idea, so you need to check that the SSD is in Alignment.

To check alignment click Start and type in msinfo32 and open, go to Components > Storage > Disks and look at the 'Partition Starting Offset' then divide by 4096. If the result is a whole number i.e. not a decimal then your SSD is aligned.

Example:
'Partition Starting Offset' 105,906,176 bytes / 4096 bytes = 25856 (whole number)

Sorry, but i can't seem to find the "Partition Starting Offset" you mentioned. I have applied the other changes above.

http://i49.tinypic.com/rt2gbn.png

October 5, 2012 4:07:12 PM

inzone said:
If you do the registry edit you also want to have the bios set to AHCI. The registry edit is just to get Windows changed to accept the AHCI setting.

I did that and could not load Windows 7 after i set it to AHCI. It could be because of HDD cloning to SSD?
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 4:11:50 PM

Double-check where you're looking: Start and type in msinfo32 and open, go to Components > Storage > Disks and look at the 'Partition Starting Offset'

October 5, 2012 4:18:47 PM

jaquith said:
Double-check where you're looking: Start and type in msinfo32 and open, go to Components > Storage > Disks and look at the 'Partition Starting Offset'

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Partition-Starting-Offset.jpg

My mistake. I was looking at Drives. :whistle: 

My 'Partition Starting Offset' is: 1,048,576/4096=256

Is that a good sign? Do i still need to set my BIOs from IDE to AHCI after i made your changes?
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 4:25:06 PM

I sure would use AHCI, see what I posted above. Luckily you're in alignment.

However, check BOTH 'Partition Starting Offset' the 2nd is the most important... e.g. 105,906,176 bytes / 4096 bytes
October 5, 2012 4:44:17 PM

jaquith said:
I sure would use AHCI, see what I posted above. Luckily you're in alignment.

However, check BOTH 'Partition Starting Offset' the 2nd is the most important... e.g. 105,906,176 bytes / 4096 bytes

I don't see the 2nd partition starting offset: http://i46.tinypic.com/2zsbq5y.png
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 8:41:09 PM

It (Boot Drive) should be listed as Disk #0 Partition #1, at least that's the typical UEFI install with 2 partitions: 100MB + Reminder of the disk space.
October 6, 2012 12:20:40 AM

jaquith said:
It (Boot Drive) should be listed as Disk #0 Partition #1, at least that's the typical UEFI install with 2 partitions: 100MB + Reminder of the disk space.

How do i make my SSD as Disk #0? I currently have two other Sata (if i am not mistaken) HDD. Do i set this in the BIOS?
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 2:44:38 AM

Never mind, I just remembered the X58 doesn't have the hidden partition, it has the older but fine BIOS and not UEFI.

Sorry, you are fine. I simply want you to have everything run smoothly and correctly.

How about the conversion to AHCI? Did you find and change the registry keys?
October 12, 2012 11:55:55 AM

jaquith said:
Never mind, I just remembered the X58 doesn't have the hidden partition, it has the older but fine BIOS and not UEFI.

Sorry, you are fine. I simply want you to have everything run smoothly and correctly.

How about the conversion to AHCI? Did you find and change the registry keys?

Sorry for the late response, but yes it seems to work just fine now. i think i missed out one of the settings in the registry. Thanks!
a c 715 V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 4:09:30 PM

Cool! :sol: 
October 19, 2012 12:12:32 PM

Best answer selected by shaoen01.
!