When will prices drop

mershaq

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I'm looking to build around Christmas but I'm planning a build that is around $900 ATM which is a bit too expensive for my liking.

By Christmas how much do you think the prices will drop

Here are the parts if that helps

i5 2500k

Asrock extreme3 gen3

4gb 1600 G skill

HAF 922

Antec True power 750w

some crappy DVD drive

Samsung spin-point F3 1tb

Thanks in advance.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Components like the GPU and RAM seem to be dropping in price fairly consistently recently. So you can expect to pick these up cheaper nearer Christmas.

The i5-2500k is a very popular processor and i dont think much price change will be seen here, unless AMD's BullDozer has a substantial impact on Intel's sales.

The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is also a very new motherboard, so I wouldn't expect to see much price change there either.

Most other build components hover around their current prices, the best thing to do usually is just buy individual components as and when you see them on offer. www.SCAN.co.uk in the UK frequently has good "Todal Only" deals, and www.NewEgg.com in the US/Canada also has fairly regular sales and offers throughout the year.

Predicting future prices is impossible, but based on the general trend over the last few months, the above is true.

deicidechaos

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Not to sure, intel may drop price if the new amd chip set becomes a threat but that will most likely be after Christmas. Ive notice that where I buy my parts from (in AUS) that the 6950 price are dropping almost monthly. Sorry i cant be anymore of a help. Oh the HAF22 loves to eat dust and can be a pain to clean. But that just my personal opinion, if ya have a very dust free environment it is a excellent case :)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Not true. I built my PC around 2-3 months ago for £850, if i re-bought the same components today i could do it for about £750. RAM and GPU's especially seem to be dropping fairly quickly. By Christmas id say your looking into at least another 5%+ overall price drop.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I was joking.

Friznutz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
You would want almost the exact specs that I want in my PC. That am getting around Christmas.
Only difference is You power supply is better, and my case is better. Not cool man.
(I already have the Sennheisers)
It is the ultimate high-end computer for a very good price.
We would be great businessmen.

I don't understand why gamer would need a better computer than this. Unless they have money to blow. Seriously though. People but 4x gtx 580's and a i7 990 w/ 24gb of ram. I don't get it. It's not worth the money because it will still age quickly.

I was also wondering the same question as you.

i5 2500k (OC to 4.6ghz)
4gb G.skill (OC to 1600hz)
ASRock Z68
Antec High Current Gamer series (750w)
NZXT Phantom
Saphire Toxic 6970 (standard 6950)
2x 7200rpm 1tb HDD
Sennheiser HD 650

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

CPU prices never drop.