Psu blew up... question

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
im getting a new psu tomarrow, to test to find out what the psu took with it.

my question isn't about that, its about if i plug a broken cpu - gpu - hdd into a non broken motherboard, will it damage the new motherboard?

Solution
Dead components shouldn't damage new ones, they just simply wont work.

It's unlikely that when your PSU failed out, that it damaged any of your other components. For now, try and get a new PSU sorted and take it from there.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
You wont really be able to tell if its broken until you do actually plug it in.

What PSU did you have before? What build do you have? (components)

I strongly recommend buying a GOOD PSU. Something with an 80PLUS rating, with a preferred brands including: XFX, Corsair, SeaSonic, Enermax, Antec, OCZ. (Not ALL models are recommended, so check some reviews before buying).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
yea, thats what i wanted, a while ago i had to take it to a shop, the charged me 100$ for a 20$ psu and i was meaning to replace it... but honestly, i had no money to do that... not sure what the psu was but i do believe off brand, im going to get in contact with them, to see what kind of warranty there its on the psu and motherboard, as i know motherboard is covered under one still.

955be cpu
3gb ddr2
hd 5770 gou
and an asus motherboard
3 hdds

if the motherboard completely died and i cant get a replacement, it will be out of pocket, id be buying 1 component at a time trying to figure out what what is salvageable.

i just want to know ahead of time, instead of in a few weeks from now if dead components will damage the new ones, if they would id be considering taking it back to the shop that skimped, but i will be screwed over on price again.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Dead components shouldn't damage new ones, they just simply wont work.

It's unlikely that when your PSU failed out, that it damaged any of your other components. For now, try and get a new PSU sorted and take it from there.

Solution

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont have any hope that it didnt take things with it, but thanks for your encurageing words...

at the very least i can test components one at a time on a new board with out worry now, thanks...

ill be back here when i get the new psu togive my findings.

G

Chances are the MOBO and GPU will be dead if any damage, have had PSU repairs before on customers machines and it is 50/50 really, the rest may have survived, dont panic, get new PSU, plug it in and test machine! its a case of diagnosis from there.

Personally I would go back to the shop in disgust and explain how unhappy you are and that you want a refund. Is the PSU less than a year old, it should have 12 months warranty on it, did the shop fit it, if so I would push them to replace broken parts as well!

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Yeah when the power supply fails, it can send a power surge through other components causing them to fail.

As others say just test when have the new PSU and fingers crossed it should be ok.

When the power supply fails often there is no damage to any other component due to safety circuitry in the power supply. However sometimes the failing power supply will damage the motherboard however it is very rare for any other component to be affected.

I have seen many computers where the power supply has damaged the motherboard and I have analyzed the reason for the fault in the power supplies. In all cases were the motherboard has been damaged it is the 5v standby supply that has failed that causes damage to the motherboard as the 5v standby supply has little or no over voltage protection circuit in most power supplies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

less than 2 year, im planning on going through that shop, however store fronts aren't the tech people they send it about 30 miles away for repair. they did SUCH a shotty job repairing my computer... 700$ for a 50-100$ mobo, a 20$ psu, and a 150$cpu.

ok assuming that the mother board is dead, ill be getting a new one, and not a ddr2 compatible one, im planning on ddr3 and a 16gig ram kit....

my question is are there bulldozer compatible motherboards yet, as my current system is am2+ i believe, i want to try to use the cpu if that's not dead, i can survive till christmass on on board gpu if mine is dead.

also ram timing... i don't get that at all, the numbers,

and thank you everyone for the encouraging words so far. right now im most concerned about the hdds,

funguseater

Distinguished
Yes you can get an am3+ MB. I believe there is even one with PCI-Express 3.0

Also you can look for obvious damage on the motherboard, look for swollen capacitors burned looking voltage regulators near the CPU. Also if you are going to upgrade, go for a good (I like Corsair, but check out some reviews) PSU first (try it on your system, then maybe you can take a little longer to upgrade, and save some money)

The Video card and HDDs should be fine, I have encountered one burned CPU from a failed PSU but that PSU actually caught fire due to dust and grime...

Also if by chance one of your drives is toast and you have the same model of HDD, you can swap the controller board off one HDD to the burned one to recover data but it only works if both HDDs are the same model.

As for ram I would just get some cheapo ddr3 1600 9-9-9-24, new egg is sellin them for about $50 for 8GB you are not going to notice the difference at any higher speed...

Anyway, good luck

bucknutty

Distinguished
I have seen PSUs shoot showers of sparky awsomeness out the back and luckly there was no damage to any of the other PC parts. Thats part of the fun of PCs. You never know whats going to happen. My bet is all your other components are fine.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok need some help,

best buy sisnt have the enthusiat 750 watt corsiar i wanted but they had a 700 watt gameing, sense they were the only company i trusted there i got that. but my motherboard has a 24 pin connector and a 4 Pin Molex P4 12V Power Connector port, but the psu doent have the 4 Pin Molex P4 12V Power Connector...

do i need it?

is it safe to plug it all in without that connector.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, pluged it in, nothing damaged so far, trying to figure out anything is damaged that i cant see, but other than that, all fixed.

so everyone knows, the thing i was inquiring about, the 4 pin thing, there was an 8 pin thing that would split, i didn't know/notice it.