Motherboard upgrade suggestion for shuttle case?

silverdollar88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I have an old shuttle XPC computer:
http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=489

It's time to upgrade, but I want to keep the case. I'm not sure what type of motherboard would best fit into this case.

I understand that shuttle uses mini-ITX motherboards, but there are always exceptions such as the heatsinks not fitting, etc... I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Please provide a few models to choose from under the 200.00. Intel or AMD is fine. Thanks a bunch.

-Sam

G

Shuttles use shuttle motherboards, they are a proprietary design NOT mini-ITX. The mounting holes for the ICE and motherboard are identical on many (but not all) shuttle boards. Not sure if you can buy shuttle motherboards without a shuttle case. Tried the shuttle website?

Stuart

G

I tried to buy a replacement mobo from Shuttle but they will just refer you to a repair centre. They seem unwilling to sell replacement motherboards. I have been down this path with an SN68Sg2. Now I am stuck with an old but working and relatively high-end AM2 chip and some DDR2 memory that I can't use. Extremely frustrating.

Lovely case, beautiful design, ropey capacitors and proprietary motherboard form factor.
I bought three for my kids and one for a friend.
Because of their attitude to after-sales I would never buy another. Their customer service section does not seem to want to go that extra mile.

Greeboid.

HavokMode

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
I know this is old but, To all of you who think that it can't be done. here it is http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1572245.

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard

Later.

Tackyauto

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Was there any revised models for this mobo (or any known working variants)? Seems to be based on 2010 CPU technology, so the part is most likely discontinued?

wcboys

Commendable
May 30, 2016
My Shuttle XPC SG41j4 shipped with a defunct motherboard as far as I can tell... I replaced it with this model

Biostar AMD A68N-5200 AMD Fusion APU A6-5200 Quad-Core Processor Mini ITX Motherboard

which was purchased from Ebay. It fits very well in the small shuttle case with plenty of room to spare. It also allows for the 20-pin connector to operate in a 24-pin connector. It uses DDR3 RAM so the one from the original case was fine. The CPU is built in so you're old cpu and fan aren't necessary. The exhaust fan is something to consider and as I've just installed it and it doesn't seem to have a 4pin connector accessible. I'll have to monitor the heat and if issues arise I'll have to come up with a solution for that. But so far so good!

Jan 25, 2020
Im also looking for a new mb for my beloved Shuttle, sad to hear the aftersales was so bad...
There is a newer version called biostar 8800E DDR4 cpu quad core motherboard pc that is a later verion, but see the test rview, it is really not meant for gaming and is quite poor in performance, but works like a charm for ordinary office tasks i guess..
The challenge is to find a motherboard with the correct location of connectors and external contacts.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/biostar-a10n-8800e/14.html
I will continue to look..