Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard upgrade suggestion for shuttle case?

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2011 9:17:02 AM

I have an old shuttle XPC computer:
http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?produ...

It's time to upgrade, but I want to keep the case. I'm not sure what type of motherboard would best fit into this case.

I understand that shuttle uses mini-ITX motherboards, but there are always exceptions such as the heatsinks not fitting, etc... I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Please provide a few models to choose from under the 200.00. Intel or AMD is fine. Thanks a bunch.

-Sam
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2011 10:04:44 AM

Keeping it simple would be buying a mATX or ATX motherboard with a new case. What exactly are you looking to upgrade here? A whole new system or just various components?

September 19, 2011 12:27:47 PM

silverdollar88 said:
I have an old shuttle XPC computer:
http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?produ...

It's time to upgrade, but I want to keep the case. I'm not sure what type of motherboard would best fit into this case.

I understand that shuttle uses mini-ITX motherboards, but there are always exceptions such as the heatsinks not fitting, etc... I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Please provide a few models to choose from under the 200.00. Intel or AMD is fine. Thanks a bunch.

-Sam

Shuttles use shuttle motherboards, they are a proprietary design NOT mini-ITX. The mounting holes for the ICE and motherboard are identical on many (but not all) shuttle boards. Not sure if you can buy shuttle motherboards without a shuttle case. Tried the shuttle website?

Stuart
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2012 8:26:21 PM

stuart72 said:
Shuttles use shuttle motherboards, they are a proprietary design NOT mini-ITX. The mounting holes for the ICE and motherboard are identical on many (but not all) shuttle boards. Not sure if you can buy shuttle motherboards without a shuttle case. Tried the shuttle website?

Stuart

I tried to buy a replacement mobo from Shuttle but they will just refer you to a repair centre. They seem unwilling to sell replacement motherboards. I have been down this path with an SN68Sg2. Now I am stuck with an old but working and relatively high-end AM2 chip and some DDR2 memory that I can't use. Extremely frustrating.

Lovely case, beautiful design, ropey capacitors and proprietary motherboard form factor.
I bought three for my kids and one for a friend.
Because of their attitude to after-sales I would never buy another. Their customer service section does not seem to want to go that extra mile.

Greeboid.
!