Upgrading from 8800 GTX

I am currently in the process of upgrading my system, and will in due coarse want to upgrade my GPU as well. Currently I have a XFX 8800 GTX and 8800 GS, I don't SLI as I don't have a supporting motherboard as of yet,.....My question for upgrading;

I will be getting a P67 Motherboard from either Asus or Gigabyte and a GX 600 PSU from Corsair, the question is I am looking not for a top end GPU but something that is at the high end of its generation (ie: GTX 400, GTX 200 or ATI 5000 or 6000) that is capable of giving good performance and somewhat future proof.

My other alternative would be, Is it feesable to SLI the two 8800 cards albeit old generation.

Overclocking : Minimal,...normally within the Nvidia system tray.

Preference : ATI or Nvidia

Price : R1700-R2500 (USD x 6.8)

Thanks

Thanks, I was planning to upgrade anyways as Games have caught up as far as the 8800 generation anyways, I will like to stick with Nvidia but ATI with the 69** generation seem to be considerably lesser priced.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
560 Ti hands down. I had a single EVGA 8800GTX before I upgraded to the Ti and I am very impressed with what my card can do (I have the EVGA Crysis 2 Superclocked version!) still running on my old setup (6750@3.4GHz) and it plays Crysis 2 maxed out (new DX11 patch and Hi-Res Textures) at 1920x1200. You really only need a 570 or 580 if your going to run at a higher resolution that that. Once I upgrade my core system to either SB or IB I'll be investing in another Ti for SLI... so i can really future proof myself.

I can't really say anything about ATI... I have never owned an ATI card, and probably never will, but i heard good reviews about them (apparently the 6950 is just as good and can be unlocked to a 6970??). Its just a matter of my preference, so I can't say which is better, just that the 560 Ti works exceptionally well for me for the price, and I love EVGA.

Yeah I was formally an ATI man until the endless myriad of driver related issues, not to say Nvidia is immune to issues but I haven't experienced any issues with my 8800GTX dispite having an older rig now.

I guess there is a reason why ATI and AMD are generally and wholly cheaper than Intel and Nvidia.

TRENDING THREADS