Sign in with
Your question

Asrock Z77 extreme 4 problem (4f)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2012 4:33:22 AM

Hello,

I was browsing the internet when my computer shut down now it only turns on for a few seconds (enough for the fans to spin) when i press the reset cmos button at the back.

The only hint I got was from the debug screen showing 4F: dxe ipl is started (other numbers flash way too fast to read).

I have tried turning it on with the bare essentials and fitting everything in one by one to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 2:41:48 AM

There is a quick and easy way to tell if your power supply will turn on and it's called the paper clip test.
You take a paper clip and sperad it apart and thake the main motherboard power connector and insert one end of the paper clip into the green wire hole and the other end in the black wire hole and the psu fan should spin , if not it's not working.

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-c...
Related resources
a c 331 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 2:52:39 AM

While the paper clip trick will tell you if the PSU's fan is working, a working fan doesn't necessarily mean the PSU has the proper voltage on the rails. Your PSU may appear to be working, but not provide the correct voltage... especially when there is a load on the circuits.
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 3:09:51 AM

But it's a start and you have to take one staep at a time when troubleshooting so as to not be going in circles.
a c 331 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 3:26:53 AM

inzone said:
But it's a start and you have to take one staep at a time when troubleshooting so as to not be going in circles.

I only say that because the OP says his system turns on, if only for a short while. So the PSU is at least starting.
a c 176 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 5:05:52 AM

I had the same thing , push the power button and the fan spins for a seond or two and stops. Take out the main connector and do the paperclip test and the same thing fan spins for a second or two then stops. By doing the paper clip test the fan is supposed to continue to spin if the psu is good . The end result for me was a bad psu because with the paper clip test the psu fan did not stay on.
!