Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Failure: NTLDR Missing, Attempts to Reinstall Fail As Well

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2010 11:18:00 PM

My home-built, overclocked rig has had several issues with bluescreens of death lately, so I had the bright idea of returning all my components to factory settings via the BIOS...

I restarted after exiting the BIOS and I get the message "NTLDR MISSING, Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Restart." No safe mode, no Windows Recovery, nothing got. I did a little reading about this and supposedly this file does not exist in Windows 7...huh? I installed 7 64bit on top of Vista 64bit, after completely wiping the drive of all WinXP files.

I went back into the BIOS and changed a few things back, such as boot order. Still nothing...

Then I put my Windows Vista 64 disc into the CD drive to see what would happen...and still nothing!! It won't even boot from the cd drive now. The CD drive reads the disc and loads the files but then fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...my poor PC is being cleaned piece by piece right now. Maybe adjusting some cables and evicting some dust will help.

Thanks in advance.

a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 7, 2010 1:18:10 AM

You'll need to go back into your BIOS and revert the settings to whatever you had them set as before.

The one that will probably sort your boot issue out relates to the SATA controller being in AHCI, RAID, or legacy IDE mode. While you're there, check and make sure your DVD drive is still detected by the BIOS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2010 2:05:13 AM

The BIOS settings that you have changed have made the hard disk invisible to the computer. Make sure that the interface for the hard disk is enabled and that it is one of the boot devices. Make sure that both the DVD and the hard drive have been detected by the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2010 3:45:49 AM

Since you want to reset the Bios, why dont u remove the battery near the bios reset pin, wait for like five minutes and reload. THis will reset your bios.

Few more options

Remove all your rams and just install windows with One Ram. I got the missing NTDLR yesterday while trying to OC my system. I am trying to work with my OCZ ram on AMD board(which looks like the worst match).

as The_Prophecy said, there should be an option to enable your drive as AHCI, RAID or legacy IDE mode. Mine is a sata drive but still the bios shows Legacy IDE mode and everything works.. beats me :) 

There is one more option....this works if everything else fails

Try to restart the system with "factory defaults", single ram chip, and F8 - safe load mode. Once you load go to C:\windows\system32 and run the Command.exe

On the Command.Exe run sfs /scannow

This should fix any dll, driver related issues if thats whats causing the error.(Again if only u can load windows in safe mode)

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 7, 2010 4:13:33 AM

heavenhated said:
as The_Prophecy said, there should be an option to enable your drive as AHCI, RAID or legacy IDE mode. Mine is a sata drive but still the bios shows Legacy IDE mode and everything works.. beats me :) 

To clarify:

Setting your SATA controller to IDE mode simply disables the advanced functionality that AHCI and RAID offer. AHCI enables features like hot-plugging and Native Command Queuing. NCQ allows the hard drive to retrieve data off the platters non-sequentially, which means slightly better performance in most cases, and less wear and tear on the drive's mechanical parts. In terms of hard drive I/O rates (read and write speeds), IDE mode is at times slightly slower than AHCI mode, but only because of features like NCQ.
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:22:46 AM

thats insightful.

now i have no idea on AHCI and RAID and definitely be learning in the course of assembling my system.

Got two Hard disks at 500 and 1 TB.. going to learn and may be suggest better next time

Thanks prophecy
m
l
January 8, 2010 5:44:40 AM

HA!!

Just wanted to post here and say that after a thorough cleaning, my PC is fully functional once again. All I gotta way is

WTF.
m
l
!