Any advantages to plug in twice to the same network?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I was wondering, I have two gigabit Network cards in my computer, Is there any advantages I would get put plugging in twice? Or would I just be wasting a precious port on my gigabit switch?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Hmm, it is a Dell power shot, but it has dual Intel pro cards, Do you think they will still support it?

riser

Illustrious
Probably. Check out Dell's site or do a google search on the intel pro cards and teaming.

The only benefit you will get is on your local LAN. That would only be a benefit if the gigabit connection is saturated. Heavy backend traffic, transferring large files, etc, could make it saturated.

If you're not in a medium to large environment, I doubt you will see anything above a minor improvement.

The cards need to support teaming. There are 2 ways to handle teaming. Either teamed together as one card giving you 2GB or as a backup using one card and the other as a fail over.

The benefit is there but they need to be the same card and support teaming. It's similar to RAID.

Just leave it at 2gb just because you probably don't need a fail over. The only way you'll notice a difference is if you copy files over to your computer otherwise its just a talking point.