Sign in with
Your question

Any advantages to plug in twice to the same network?

Last response: in Networking
October 30, 2010 5:32:49 AM

I was wondering, I have two gigabit Network cards in my computer, Is there any advantages I would get put plugging in twice? Or would I just be wasting a precious port on my gigabit switch?
October 31, 2010 2:32:59 PM

Usually your PC only uses one NIC at a time; therefore, it is a waste.
m
l
October 31, 2010 8:01:26 PM

I am guessing it is the same for server 2008?
I am using it as a file server, nothing fancy.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2010 10:37:52 PM

Look into load balancing it might help if you have a lot of simultaneous file access
m
l
November 1, 2010 5:39:16 PM

Intel did used to have a system for taking advantage of multiple network connections, however I'm only aware of it on thier 10/100 cards.
m
l
November 1, 2010 7:21:04 PM

Depending on your hardware, you can look into 'Teaming.' Dell supports Broadcom NIC teaming.
m
l
November 1, 2010 9:34:17 PM

riser said:
Depending on your hardware, you can look into 'Teaming.' Dell supports Broadcom NIC teaming.

Hmm, it is a Dell power shot, but it has dual Intel pro cards, Do you think they will still support it?
m
l
November 2, 2010 12:29:05 PM

Probably. Check out Dell's site or do a google search on the intel pro cards and teaming.

The only benefit you will get is on your local LAN. That would only be a benefit if the gigabit connection is saturated. Heavy backend traffic, transferring large files, etc, could make it saturated.

If you're not in a medium to large environment, I doubt you will see anything above a minor improvement.
m
l
November 2, 2010 9:42:54 PM

The cards need to support teaming. There are 2 ways to handle teaming. Either teamed together as one card giving you 2GB or as a backup using one card and the other as a fail over.

The benefit is there but they need to be the same card and support teaming. It's similar to RAID.

Catsrules said:
I was wondering, I have two gigabit Network cards in my computer, Is there any advantages I would get put plugging in twice? Or would I just be wasting a precious port on my gigabit switch?

m
l
November 2, 2010 9:43:26 PM

Yeah, I got it working, it now saids it is going at 2gbps. But I can't tell any difference in speed. Owell it is kinda cool to see it say it is running at 2 gbps :) 
m
l
November 2, 2010 9:56:14 PM

So if I make it act as a backup could I unplug the main one when it is copying file and it would act like nothing happened, and finish copying the files, or will it take a second to switch over?
m
l
November 2, 2010 10:19:35 PM

Just leave it at 2gb just because you probably don't need a fail over. The only way you'll notice a difference is if you copy files over to your computer otherwise its just a talking point.

Catsrules said:
So if I make it act as a backup could I unplug the main one when it is copying file and it would act like nothing happened, and finish copying the files, or will it take a second to switch over?

m
l
!