Sign in with
Your question

TA790GX A2+ & Phenom II X4 965

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2012 5:47:39 AM

Hello community.

I recently got a AMD Phenom II X4 965 to replace my aging cpu on a Biostar TA790GX A2+. I did what I thought would be enough research to make sure the it would be compatible with the mobo, (AM3 compatibility, 125w, etc) but sadly it seems I did not research enough... http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_... Official CPU support seems to come just short for my model.

Biostar TA790GX A2+
AMD Phenom II X4 965
OCZ 700watt PSU
DDR2 800 (2 x 2GB)
HIS Radeon HD 7850
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The CPU defaults to 200mhz x4 (800mhz) instead of running at a x17 multiplier (According to bios & CPU-Z). Trying to change cpu clocks to the cpu stock rated x17 in bios T-series overclock settings just causes system to not post (requiring jumper cmos reset) and AMD overdrive fails to set the multiplier (defaulting back to x4).

From what I've read, my issue may be caused because my mobo is missing Dual Power Plane. However I've read that user modded bios has had success circumventing the issue, and some users had success setting voltage and multiplier manually. I've flashed the latest official bios (78DBA525) and tested without success and also tried the user modded beta bios (78DBA715) also without success.

I am a newbie to the hardware clocking and bios world, learning what I had to to do what I have done so far. I'm curious to know if I may have improperly setup manual bios overclock settings, or missed something else that may be the issue.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance for your time!

N.B. I know I may just end up needing a new motherboard, however I was hoping to get a little more life out of my system with the CPU upgrade. I will however get a new mobo if necessary and was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seems to be a good board with a decent layout, AM3+, 140w PSU support, and from what I can tell... mosfet heatsinks if I wish to overclock. Will this be a good board up to 2 years down the line for new AMD architecture? Any other recommendations?

More about : ta790gx phenom 965

a c 330 V Motherboard
a c 256 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 12:23:58 AM

Let's first be sure you are reading your CPU speed correctly. What does the BIOS show the speed to be? (Boot to BIOS)

In Windows:
If CPU-Z shows 800mhz, it could be you have C1E (or its equivalent) enabled in BIOS. That is a power saving feature designed to reduce power to the CPU when not needed. Run a CPU intense pgm like Prime95 and see if CPU-Z shows the CPU's speed switching to normal.
October 6, 2012 1:29:58 PM

yeah disable cool and quiet.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 3:38:30 PM

Any chance you got this one resolved without a mobo upgrade? I am in the same boat, just on the starting end of research...
a c 330 V Motherboard
a c 256 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 5:00:24 PM

viking0311 said:
Any chance you got this one resolved without a mobo upgrade? I am in the same boat, just on the starting end of research...

If your problem is similar to the OPs, have you tried going to Control Panel/Power Options and selecting the High Performance power plan? That should disable any energy saving CPU features, and CPU-Z should then show the full speed/multiplier for your processor.
January 27, 2013 9:10:50 PM

I have not replaced the CPU yet, still running a Brisbane 5000+ that is getting a little over loaded and I am looking to upgrade. I was hoping the phenom II x4 965 BE would work, as it is available for less than the 940 on newegg or amazon...
a c 330 V Motherboard
a c 256 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 9:21:04 PM

viking0311 said:
I have not replaced the CPU yet, still running a Brisbane 5000+ that is getting a little over loaded and I am looking to upgrade. I was hoping the phenom II x4 965 BE would work, as it is available for less than the 940 on newegg or amazon...

What MB would you be putting the 965BE into?
January 27, 2013 9:32:23 PM

Ta790gx a2+, 965BE isn't listed as a supported CPU, but at a lower price and a higher speed than the 940(which is supported) I was hoping someone might have found a way to get the 965BE working as I am trying to squeeze out as much performance as possible to delay building a new PC for as long as I can...
January 27, 2013 9:52:52 PM

So as I read the thread, am I correct in assuming that with the updated Bios, and the power option set to high, the 965BE should work in this MB?
a c 330 V Motherboard
a c 256 à CPUs
January 28, 2013 2:55:34 AM

viking0311 said:
So as I read the thread, am I correct in assuming that with the updated Bios, and the power option set to high, the 965BE should work in this MB?

Apparently the CPU will work, but needs some help. I found this discussion on another forum from a few years ago.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625...

!