Budget Gaming Computer

VJAssassin

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
hi i guys i am looking to build my new budget gaming computer the components i selected are following i just wanna know can i play BF3, MW3 and assassin's creed revelations and all upcoming games on high settings i play games at 1024x768 resolution.

processor: INTEL CORE i3 2100 3.10Ghz (3MB CACHE)
Mobo: P8H61-MLE
Memory: KINGSTON DDR3 4GB-1333
GPU: xfx HD 6770
PSU:COOLER MASTER EXTREME POWER 500W

bit of a waste of time playing at such low rez. spend 70- 90quid on a low end monitor that will give 1440/900 minimum, games look and play better on wide screen as today there usually optimized for such.
the cpu is fine but even playing at low rez its unlikely that you will be able to play at max detail with such a weak card. unless your happy with 10-20 fps on the more demanding games look to 500$ or £350 will get you a setup that will play most games very well.
just forget about max/high settings as most of todays new games look good even on low settings. on the rite hardware.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Games requiring quad-cores non-withstanding, that system is reasonable for a budget build. You could also look at the Pentium G620...it's a socket 1155 CPU, and the stuff it's not got which the i3-2100 does is mainly used for video-encoding. Perhaps worth a look, as it retails for about 50% the price of the i3-2100.

Make sure when you're getting the RAM, you're getting 2x2GB and not 1x4GB...you need 2 sticks to get dual memory performance.

If you're wanting support for BF3, then AMD chips are worth a look at for quad-core CPUs. However, they're older...that being said, with the resolutions you're looking at, you could get a Llano APU for about the same cost as an i3-2100 and it's quad-core with 6xxx graphics onboard. Saves you some money there.

Regardless of which route you take, if you up the resolution you play at, you can upgrade the GPU from the 6770 and probably still play on reasonable settings without needed to upgrade anything else.