SSD not booting after MB replacement to Z77-GD65

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
My GA-Z77X-UD5H died, so I decided to replace it with an MSI Z77A-GD65 (was a great price). Everything else in the system is the same. I'm using a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD as my Win7 boot drive.

After replacing the motherboard, the BIOS recognizes the SSD, but when I try to boot to it, I get a no boot device found error. I have the SSD listed as my first boot device, although I also have a 3TB HDD installed too. I have the SSD set to ACHI mode (which is the mode it was in when I originally installed Win7 on it)

To make matters worse, I tried to replace the SSD with a 250GB HDD and reinstall Win7 to the HDD drive (wanted to save the contents on the SSD if possible). Win7 would throw an error when trying to partition the HDD. I can format and partition the HDD on another PC, so I think the drive is fine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with ACHI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007

I can't even get that far.

The existing SSD already has a Win 7 install on it. I realize I'll need to update MB specific drivers for it, but it's telling me there's no boot record.

When I tried to reinstall Win7 on it, the win install won't install to that drive because it says it already has a version of Windows 7 on it. It won't even let me format or partition the drive. I'm using an OEM version of Win 7, and I plan on having to contact them to have it reactivated, but the PC should still at least see the MBR on the drive and attempt to boot.

All I get is that there is no bootable device.

If I can get access to another PC, I'll try swapping the SDD into it to see if it boots. I'm wondering if there is some ACHI driver that needs to be installed at the BIOS level before ACHI will operate.

octashoo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I had the same problem. MOBO died, had to replace. I ended up taking it to a local tech shop, kid popped in a disc, got it to patch or boot my windows in rough shape, something like safe mode, but not safe mode, enough to execute the MOBO disc app that installed all the drivers, while DL'ing all the other needed drivers via a LAN connection, took about 5 or 6 reboots after continuous driver installs, but BOOYA~ system runs great. You may loose some application licenses and authorizations as I did, but call the company or reinstall etc. No prob.

I don't know what the hell it was that he used. I think it has something to do with MSI.surf. google that~ see what you can find.

wish I could be more specific or of more help, but just wanted to let you know, there is a way around it, and relatively easy, if you got the tool.

PS: I even switched from AMD to Intel.. totally different company for motherboard too.. from foxconn to ASUS.

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I wound up just reinstalling Windows to another SSD I had laying around. I was able to read the contents of the old SSD once I was able to boot into windows.

Thanks for the help.