Can crossfire stop cpu overclocking

do you mean two or more amd gfx cards combination - that crossfire? it has nothing to do with cpu...directly. usually two or more of the same series cards (2x 68xx or 69xx) work in tandem (e.g. cards rendering different parts of a frame instead of one card doing everything) to deliver higher performance. with a better cpu the crossfire performs better. sometimes overclocking a cpu can help the crossfire combination to work better. but crossfire doesn't directly overclock/downclock cpu. in case of recent cpus like intel's core series or amd's fx series - the cpus can auto overclock themselves a bit over their rated speed as long as the workload calls for it. they automatically declock thmselves after some time. it's called turbo boost for intel and turbo core for amd. cpu turboing is related to the workload put on the cpu. however, if the graphics load is shifted to the gpu, the cpu would be less busy. that is true for any cpu, at stock or overclocked.

dannyboy1702

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
thank you for thatiam new to all this so its a learning curve the problem iam having is i was using smart boost to overclock my system it was working fine until yestaday if i went to overclock the cpu it would underclock it from 2.80 to 2.53 and i was very confused by it so ive done a fresh install but still cant get smartboost to work anymore this is my set up
antec 300 case
Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
motherboard gigabyte p55-usb3
Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
2x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 running crossfire
corsair cw600 psu
corsair h50 cooler +2 120mm front cooling fans
ocz ssd 120gb