Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts off during IntelBurnTest

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2011 3:59:14 PM

Hello all,

My computer recently ran into this issue while gaming. I decided to do a little troubleshooting on it and lo and behold, IntelBurnTest forced a shutdown rather quickly. I ran my initial test and my computer took about 15 seconds to complete one check then it immediately crashed. After the readme informed me that my CPU could possibly be the culprit, I decided to lock two of my six cores on my processor. This allowed my computer to survive a little longer during the next test, but it still caused a shutdown. Furthering this experiment, I locked all but two of my six cores and reran the test with success (first five checks, then twenty successful checks).

I ran FurMark several times with each test being a success. I used the "Benchmark Preset:1080" twice at 60 seconds each, among several other lesser tests; my PC peaked at 75 degrees celsius on the heaviest load and remained there.

My computer consists of the following components:

Video Card: Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro)

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000

If I am missing any critical information, please notify me and I will add it as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
December 20, 2011 4:10:11 PM

Furmark is a test more for video card. When you run test like IntelBurn you stres a lot the CPU. i think is an overheating problem of your CPU. If you have the stock cooler is better to change it.
December 20, 2011 4:12:45 PM

You do realize "Intel" burntest is optimized for Intel cpu's!
Download Prime95 for stress testing your AMD platform.
Related resources
December 20, 2011 5:00:28 PM

davcon said:
You do realize "Intel" burntest is optimized for Intel cpu's!
Download Prime95 for stress testing your AMD platform.

I understand why you would come to that conclusion, however, the program's readme states: "Works with Intel(R) and AMD CPUs" in the compatibility section.
December 20, 2011 5:17:07 PM

bloodofthenorth said:
I understand why you would come to that conclusion, however, the program's readme states: "Works with Intel(R) and AMD CPUs" in the compatibility section.

That's fine,won't hurt to try Prime95 though.
Are you using the stock cooler?
December 20, 2011 5:41:07 PM

davcon said:
That's fine,won't hurt to try Prime95 though.
Are you using the stock cooler?

I'm running Prime95 now, but according to what I've read, it may take some time. I am using the stock cooler.
December 20, 2011 5:50:05 PM

bloodofthenorth said:
I'm running Prime95 now, but according to what I've read, it may take some time. I am using the stock cooler.

Your stock cooler is what's holding you back when stress testing.
Your pc is reacting normally when it shuts down before tests are fully run due to high cpu temps.= auto protection
An aftermarket cpu cooler would allow you to successfully stress test your pc.
December 20, 2011 5:59:23 PM

davcon said:
Your stock cooler is what's holding you back when stress testing.
Your pc is reacting normally when it shuts down before tests are fully run due to high cpu temps.= auto protection
An aftermarket cpu cooler would allow you to successfully stress test your pc.

I didn't emphasize it as much, but my PC shuts off randomly when playing Skyrim. I was hoping the stress test would narrow down the problem, considering quite a few people are having the same issue with Skyrim. Many others say they ran these suggested tests with no problems, but I ran into this with IntelBurn.
December 20, 2011 7:15:40 PM

OK, how did you get six cores on your X4?
December 20, 2011 7:35:08 PM

you should be able to run prime 95 24/7 365 with a stock cooler.
yes the stock cooler doesn't have a very high tolerance threshold but it should be enough for the cpu. i dont know any manufacturer that sells its cpus with inadequate cooling. yes its likely you wont be able to oc, but thats besides the point. the stock cooler should supply enough cooling to keep the cpu under its tjmax by at least 5 degrees. if it doesnt then the wrong cooler is badly fitted or the cooler is damaged in some way. and if anything amd are a little more generous with there coolers than intel. so he should have enough cooling with there stock cooler.
December 20, 2011 7:39:39 PM

i would suggest he go into bios and load up the failsafe or optimized defaults.
this will set the voltages correctly for that cpu... not doing so cn cause the motherboard to run what it thinks are the correct settings when it could actually be over volting...
another thing to look at is the max volts your cpu can handle. if its set by the bios to say 1.40v (the max for some amd cpus) then you should be able to drop the volts to 1.35 without any impact on performance. as often motherboards are slightly more generous with voltage than they need to be.
you should always set your volts on a per sample basis.
December 25, 2011 8:11:33 AM

After discussing the problem with some computer savvy folks at work, a friend determined that it was definitely a thermal issue. I explained to him that when I was building my PC I set the heatsink on the CPU and, since it was my first time building a PC, I wasn't sure the heatsink was on properly. I decided that I would lift the heatsink and readjust it to make sure it was setting properly. This ended up affecting how the thermal paste set after I made the finishing touches.

So, long story short, I reapplied thermal paste (after a shoddy initial application on my part) between the heatsink and CPU and my computer ended up passing multiple IntelBurnTests. After many hours on Skyrim, I can say with certainty this fixed the problem.

Thanks to all who took their time to help! Merry Christmas ^_^
!