Sign in with
Your question

Need some comments on my new build in 10 yrs lol

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2011 4:11:29 PM

Hi all,

Appreciate if anyone can give me some insights/comments on the build I am thinking abt. Recently I actually bought a Dell XPS 8300 as it was on a good deal (i7-2600, 12GB DDR3, etc..) but the customer service was crappy. My system order were shipped in pieces (keyboard/mouse was shipped separately) and I found out that one of the front USB ports doesn't work. Anyways, as I think that system wasn't so great after all, so I decided to return that and assemble my own.

I doubt I will OC my system. It will be mainly for some photoshop, gaming and browsing. Expect it to be working for several yrs and have some upgradability.

TLDR version, building a PC with below spec, appreciate comments

CPU: Intel i5-2500K
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-12800
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Corsair TX650/650M
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000
You may notice that I am lacking a video card here, I am waiting on the Radeon HD 7XXX Series so I am not going to get any for now.

Here's my questions for you guys:
1. Should I get the low profile version of the Vengeance RAM or just the regular ones? As I probably won't OC, should I use the low profile one?
2. Should I add an SSD as the OS drive? (Thinking abt Corsair Force 3 Series)
3. Is my PSU too powerful for my system? (Even including I'll get a Radeon HD 7XXX series card later on)

Thanks so much for reading! :kaola: 

More about : comments build yrs lol

September 19, 2011 4:24:09 PM

1. Get the cheapest RAM available. We're talking about Kingston 2x2GB ValuRam at $19.99. Low Profile is probably more expensive so why bother getting it when you have a large case?
2. Only if you have cash to burn.
3. No it's not, it's just right.
m
l
September 20, 2011 12:59:13 AM

aftcomet said:
1. Get the cheapest RAM available. We're talking about Kingston 2x2GB ValuRam at $19.99. Low Profile is probably more expensive so why bother getting it when you have a large case?
2. Only if you have cash to burn.
3. No it's not, it's just right.

+1, but you can get low-profile RAM with small heat spreaders (Corsair has a lot), so it wouldn't hurt. Also, if you aren't going to OC, just get an i5 2500 (non-k) and an h61/67 chipset MoBo. A z68 and a 2500k are a waste if you have no intent of OC.
m
l
!