Building first computer (casual gamer), need advice!

Casper23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi,

I’d appreciate if some of you would give me some feedback on the build I have put together. It’s a budget build that will mainly be used for Microsoft Office, browsing, and the occasional game. Right now I’m not going to buy a GPU and see how the stock integrated video card works... however in the future I may be buying a mid-tier GPU because I will want to spend a few hours a week playing some games. The build I am thinking about is listed below ($500-600 budget).

CPU: Intel i3 2100 3.1GHz
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Pro3
GPU: (CPU integrated) Intel HD Graphics 2000
RAM: G.Skill NS 2x2 GB DDR3 1333
HDD: F3 Spinpoint 1TB (7200 RPM)
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
Case: Antec 100
Peripherals: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; ASUS 24x DVD Burner

Here are my questions:
1. Does this build work (are the components compatible)?
2. Is the Antec 100 a decent case? If I went cheaper and bought an Antec 200 or even an HEC blitz would it make that big of a difference? What are the main things to look for in cases?
3. Will I be able to upgrade my GPU to a mid-tier down the line with the CPU/MOBO combination? Will the 520W PSU allow for it? I'm not buying one initially because I want to see how the Integrated card works for the time being.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I look forward to your comments/advice.

Solution
1. Yes, your parts are compatible. You might be better off getting a cheaper motherboard since your processor is locked.

2. The 100 and 200s are a decent case, but for the same price you can get the 300 from newegg for 45dollars. The main things to look for in cases is airflow, cable management, and how sturdy the build quality is.

3. Yes the CPU and Mobo is fine. Unless you are getting the PSU in a crazy sale or something, there are better PSUs in that price range. Like the XFX Gold rated 550W or even the OCZ Pro 700w went from $130 down to $60. The amount of power you need depends on what video card you will want to put in the future, but if it is anything between the mid-high end I suggest going a little higher on the wattage.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
1. Yes, your parts are compatible. You might be better off getting a cheaper motherboard since your processor is locked.

2. The 100 and 200s are a decent case, but for the same price you can get the 300 from newegg for 45dollars. The main things to look for in cases is airflow, cable management, and how sturdy the build quality is.

3. Yes the CPU and Mobo is fine. Unless you are getting the PSU in a crazy sale or something, there are better PSUs in that price range. Like the XFX Gold rated 550W or even the OCZ Pro 700w went from $130 down to $60. The amount of power you need depends on what video card you will want to put in the future, but if it is anything between the mid-high end I suggest going a little higher on the wattage.

Solution

Casper23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I will look into the suggestions you guys made and am glad to hear that the PSU I have currently tabbed (will see about the other PSUs ikyung) could easily support a mid-tier.