PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I have the AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (OC to 3.9GHz) and I'm currently waiting for the MSI GTX 560 Ti 448 to arrive anytime soon. (I'm sure this 2 combination won't have any hiccups or bottlenecks?)

So my question is, will my 955 bottleneck future cards, for example the new NVIDIA 600 Gen and AMD 7000 Gen. Not that I will be getting the next gen GPU, but I just want to see how far can my 955 go.

Specs:

(Coming anytime soon) MSI GTX 560 Ti 448
Asus M5A97
DDR3 1600MHz 4GB
CM Silent Pro M 700w
Antec 902
Playing on 1080p

Solution
according to the tier, no current gen cpu and gpu are really 100% future proof because of the massive leaps tech is taking nowadays, and games being made are made to take advantage of the improvements of every successive generation, people bash these cpus but facing facts, the 955 is a 3.2ghz true quad core, that is nothing to be scoffed at, and yet another fact, above 50 fps your eyes really cant tell the difference

short answer...no...others might say yes(with wildly theoretical and impractical benchmarks)...but to me...no the 955 will not bottleneck

loneninja

Distinguished
Phenom II already bottlenecks higher end dual card set ups like GTX 580 SLI or a crossfire 6970. It is a 3 year old processor based on a 4 year old architecture that struggled to compete with Core2Quad after all. I can't wait to see the Radeon 7970 review, find out if Phenom II holds back the single new high end card or not.

xaira

Distinguished
the 955 is a quite powerful contender, as you start to get higher powered gpus, you tend to enable anti aliasing and anisotrophic filtering, so when people talk about a cpu bottlenecking a system, at 1280x1024 which you would not use if you have a top gpu sure, but at 1920x1080+, the cpus start to level off in terms of fps due to the fact thaty the load is shifted conciderably to the gpu,

short answer, your fine, i would say for any top end single gpu solution, even if you throw in another 560 in sli you should be fine

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for the answer. But I'm fine for how long? If I were to get the next gen GPU will my 955 be bottlenecking it?

xaira

Distinguished
according to the tier, no current gen cpu and gpu are really 100% future proof because of the massive leaps tech is taking nowadays, and games being made are made to take advantage of the improvements of every successive generation, people bash these cpus but facing facts, the 955 is a 3.2ghz true quad core, that is nothing to be scoffed at, and yet another fact, above 50 fps your eyes really cant tell the difference

short answer...no...others might say yes(with wildly theoretical and impractical benchmarks)...but to me...no the 955 will not bottleneck

Solution

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for the reply again, I guess I'm clear for another year or two :D